123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

MM runs very slow

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Mini
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mylesvk

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 7:49 pm    Post subject: MM runs very slow Reply with quote

I have a late 2010 MM 2.4GH 2.66MGH connected to an LG 55" TV. The MM has always run very slowly, takes forever to start up, lots of spinning beach balls, it was supposed to be my Media center for photos,music, movies, very disappointed ...... the MM harddrive is empty, all media is stored on an attached HD ..... upgraded to OS X Mountain Lion .... MM has 2 gb Ram .... would more Ram help ???? very frustrated .... HELP .... Open to any and all suggestions
marv777
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 9:42 pm    Post subject: Re: MM runs very slow Reply with quote

mylesvk wrote:
I have a late 2010 MM 2.4GH 2.66MGH connected to an LG 55" TV. The MM has always run very slowly, takes forever to start up, lots of spinning beach balls, it was supposed to be my Media center for photos,music, movies, very disappointed ...... the MM harddrive is empty, all media is stored on an attached HD ..... upgraded to OS X Mountain Lion .... MM has 2 gb Ram .... would more Ram help ???? very frustrated .... HELP .... Open to any and all suggestions
I understand Mountain Lion needs more ram then Lion. I would try more ram first. than take it from there.Welcome to this site.
Smithcraft
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can also check the Activity Moniter to see what is using up the CPU.

However, like marv777 said, you do need more memory with 10.8.

SC

[Desktop] Intel mini - 2.16Ghz 2GB 60GB HDD - Newer miniStack v2 500GB - 10.5.8

[Media System] Intel i5 mini - 2.33Ghz 8GB 500GB HDD - 4 x Hitachi 2TB HDD in a qBOX-SF - 10.7.5 (Thanks Phil!)

Make sure it has pins!
mylesvk

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 9:30 am    Post subject: MM runs slow Reply with quote

Gonna try more Ram but MM ran slow out of the box with Leopard. I purchased the MM a couple of years ago to use as my Media Center and tolerated its slowness from the beginning ...... not anymore .... I will fix it or get rid of it ..... appreciate your suggestions / I did check the Activity Monitor not much going on there because I removed all but essential programs and apps .... all the MM does is access my Media from ITunes which is stored on an attached HD
b0bb

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 6:33 pm    Post subject: Re: MM runs slow Reply with quote

mylesvk wrote:
Gonna try more Ram but MM ran slow out of the box with Leopard. I purchased the MM a couple of years ago to use as my Media Center and tolerated its slowness from the beginning ...... not anymore .... I will fix it or get rid of it ..... appreciate your suggestions / I did check the Activity Monitor not much going on there because I removed all but essential programs and apps .... all the MM does is access my Media from ITunes which is stored on an attached HD

The disk is a v.slow 5400RPM (The one in the Mini is slow even for a 5400RPM).
I suggest considering a small SSD or a faster 7200 RPM drive, particularly the hybrids like the Momentus XT
marv777
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 8:28 pm    Post subject: Re: MM runs slow Reply with quote

mylesvk wrote:
It could be you might have owned a lemon from the start.Try changing the hard drive to 7200 as this would be the last step in trying to solve this if you want.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Mini All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: