123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

HDMI issues with 2012 Mac mini?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Mini Troubleshooting
View previous topic :: View next topic  
marv777
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 10:17 pm    Post subject: MM 2012 Reply with quote

Kremmers wrote:
My screen was going to black with a 2011 Mac mini after it was released. Just like this. This EFI firmware update from Apple finally corrected the issue. Here's hoping that something is in the works for the 2012 Mac mini. I want one bad. Smile
Apple is working on this problem now.
vinnyg

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just purchased and returned a new Mac Mini for exactly this same issue. I have found since then that the issue affects the HDMI port and not the MiniDisplay Port.

If you are keeping your new Mini and waiting for a fix to this problem then you may want to use the MDP for your monitor.

It also quickly became apparent that the stock 4 gig of ram is not enough to to get a good user experience unless you like beach balls spinning.

Finally I noticed that when I opened certain folders, especially the application folder that it was blank and I had to click on it to get it to populate. I'm guessing that this is actually a Mountain Lion bug but I have only seen it on the Mini and not on my iMac...
ez061111
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 12:52 pm    Post subject: Re: MM 2012 Reply with quote

marv777 wrote:
Kremmers wrote:
My screen was going to black with a 2011 Mac mini after it was released. Just like this. This EFI firmware update from Apple finally corrected the issue. Here's hoping that something is in the works for the 2012 Mac mini. I want one bad. Smile
Apple is working on this problem now.

They are?
Knowles

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not saying that this problem doesn't exist, but I haven't noticed it one time with my setup. I'm using the $799 Core-i7 Mac mini with 16GB of RAM connected to a 47" Sony LCD TV. I would say that it's probably a hardware issue if you're noticing it though. Especially if the problem is replicated in Windows 7 with Boot Camp. But then I start thinking, if it's hardware issue or design flaw, how come I don't seem to be having the problem? Could it also just be an HDCP handshake issue that people are noticing? I don't know, but I'm hoping that Apple has something to say about it shortly. Even though I'm not having the problem, it would make me feel better about my purchase and their level of care.
scoobyrox

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 9:34 am    Post subject: Temporary fix like others suggested Reply with quote

The text was all blurry when I used hdmi-hdmi connection. Since my lcd didn't have a dvi connection, my temporary fix is Mini-Displayport to dvi and connect it to the apple's dvi-hdmi adapter and then to the LCD monitor. I saw drastic improvement. No blurriness on the text anymore. I will have to report back to see if I get the snow effects.
MyMacMini

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ez061111 wrote:
As Grover Time mentions, there seems to be some issues with the HD 4000 GPU.

Yes as well as with the HD3000 had similar problems. The HD4000 has been plagued with HDMI issues on every platform. Intel has no business releasing it with this many bugs. They've tried two BIOS updates with little results. Hopefully Apple will have better results. I heard from several sources that there will be a Firmware and/or Mountain Lion update within the next two weeks that will fix this.
vinnyg

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 4:26 pm    Post subject: 2012 Mac Mini Firmware update Reply with quote

Well Apple has released a firmware update. I applied the update and have a nice crisp image so now it's just a matter of time to see if this stops the screen going black issue. Intel was the culprit for this problem so it is nice to see that Apple had it addressed quickly...
Knowles

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 6:24 pm    Post subject: Re: 2012 Mac Mini Firmware update Reply with quote

vinnyg wrote:
I applied the update and have a nice crisp image so now it's just a matter of time to see if this stops the screen going black issue.

Are you saying that it also made improvements to your overall picture quality, such as with sharpness and color saturation?
marv777
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 10:35 pm    Post subject: Problem Reply with quote

Knowles wrote:
I'm not saying that this problem doesn't exist, but I haven't noticed it one time with my setup. I'm using the $799 Core-i7 Mac mini with 16GB of RAM connected to a 47" Sony LCD TV. I would say that it's probably a hardware issue if you're noticing it though. Especially if the problem is replicated in Windows 7 with Boot Camp. But then I start thinking, if it's hardware issue or design flaw, how come I don't seem to be having the problem? Could it also just be an HDCP handshake issue that people are noticing? I don't know, but I'm hoping that Apple has something to say about it shortly. Even though I'm not having the problem, it would make me feel better about my purchase and their level of care.
They have an update now for this problem.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Mini Troubleshooting All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: