123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

After Upgrading HDD to SSD Fan Runs at Maximum Speed

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Mini Upgrading
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Asa Weinstein

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 11:49 am    Post subject: After Upgrading HDD to SSD Fan Runs at Maximum Speed Reply with quote

Just interested if anyone has either a solution to this problem or has experienced it themselves.
I have a RFB 2009 MacMini 3,1 2.53Ghz Core 2 Duo Server that had 2 x 500GB Drives in it, running MacOS X 10.8.2.
Since the machine has been taken out of service as a server I decided to use it as a desktop and replaced the primary 500GB drive with an 240GB Intel 335 Series SSD using the one of the 500 GB internals as a second drive. The drive was then formatted to make it into a Fusion array. (Which is incredibly fast BTW if any one wants to try it!)
While disassembling the machine the wires on the controller side of the heat sensor on the primary drive pulled out. I replaced them carefully but am not entirely sure if they were replaced in the correct order (I've since tried both ways)
The sensor is attached to the drive but the fan runs constantly at 5500 RPM which is pretty much the maximum. I'm using SMC fan control to monitor the fan but it is not able to control the fan speed. Any suggestion are welcome! Smile
macmanmacman
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sorry you killed it if you pulled the wires out your machine is now a paperweight sorry
Smithcraft
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd try working on it with the top off, and see if fiddling with the sensor connectors does anything.

I seem to recall that the sensors were specific to the drives installed, and that a certain brand of drive required a certain sensor. That might be wrong, but it could also be an issue.

SC

[Desktop] Intel mini - 2.16Ghz 2GB 60GB HDD - Newer miniStack v2 500GB - 10.5.8

[Media System] Intel i5 mini - 2.33Ghz 8GB 500GB HDD - 4 x Hitachi 2TB HDD in a qBOX-SF - 10.7.5 (Thanks Phil!)

Make sure it has pins!
macmanmacman
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

not really the 2009 mini didn't have the rigged sensor system it was in the 2010 mac mini and iMac that has the sensor if i remember right by him removing the wires by accident i think he has destroyed the sensor which would also cause the fan to go nuts
Asa Weinstein

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 3:19 pm    Post subject: Upgrade Fan Sensor Issue Reply with quote

Thanks for your replies on this. I think I will leave the machine alone for now. The fan running constantly is only slightly annoying as I have put it under my desk for the time being.
A local Mac shop said they could try and fix it for $100 as they may have the requisite parts there, but until I get a replacement for this, I'll leave it alone. It runs super fast as is!

A
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Mini Upgrading All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: