123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

will Apple lower the price on PPC iMacs?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Desktops
View previous topic :: View next topic  
twalker294

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 3:01 pm    Post subject: will Apple lower the price on PPC iMacs? Reply with quote

With the Intel iMacs being available and 2-3 times as fast, who would buy a PPC iMac now? I guess if you are concerned about the availablity of universal binaries in your favorite software you would want to stick with PPC for now. I'll be interested to see how Rosetta performs compared to a G5 iMac.
mark2741

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well the Apple refurb page is loaded with nicely priced iMac G5's now, but they are the pre-iSight/FrontRow versions. They have one version for only $849. I think I'll wait until my local CompUSA lowers the price on in-stock rev. C iMacs. They have really wacky prices there on store demo models especially. Yesterday for example they were selling 1.25ghz Minis for $348.
ack_mac
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I think it is a matter of time until the REV C's start showing up at clearance prices..

Man I feel sorry for somebody that orders the G5 for the same price as the dual core Yonah and does not realize that he bought the PPC (since they are currently listed at the same price)...

If Apple really wants to convice people that the Intel chipset is so much better (they are claiming 2-3 times faster), then they need to put their money where their mouth is and discount the G5 iMacs...

If they sold the G5 iMacs for $1000 even they would have no problem offloading them quickly...
mark2741

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was just offered a 1 month old Rev C iMac 17", 512MB, iSight, 160GB, etc for $900 local sale. I may do it. What's the deal with AppleCare - is it just for original owner? If not, would I need to have the original sales receipt to get coverage?
ack_mac
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mark2741 wrote:
I was just offered a 1 month old Rev C iMac 17", 512MB, iSight, 160GB, etc for $900 local sale. I may do it. What's the deal with AppleCare - is it just for original owner? If not, would I need to have the original sales receipt to get coverage?

That is a sweet deal (a loaded Mini with all the fixings will cost you at least that much)...

I think you can purchase Applecare on one-month old Mac, but I believe the iMac is almost $170.. That is a lot for a $900 computer..
twalker294

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 2:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mark2741 wrote:

I'd jump on that in an instant.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Desktops All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: