123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Screen flickering with 2009 Mac Mini: overheating issue?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Mini Troubleshooting
View previous topic :: View next topic  
FrenchKheldar

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 12:25 am    Post subject: Screen flickering with 2009 Mac Mini: overheating issue? Reply with quote

Hi,

Just moved to a new place and so I reinstalled my HTMacMini (2009 nVidia 9400M model) in a slightly different configuration. My wife wanted it more out of sight so I put it in a drawer which had some ventilation but maybe not enough. After a week, tonight, it became impossible to wake up the display with the keyboard. I connected to the Mini via screen sharing and everything seemed fine. I rebooted the Mini and while I got a signal on TV, the picture was now flickering pretty regulary (as much as once per second). Again, connecting to it via VNC/screen sharing works fine. Did I screw it all up by not allowing enough ventilation in the new setup? Any way I can diagnose exactly what's going on? Could it just be the miniDP connector? Could I replace this? If indeed the display output is fried, how could I still put my Mini to good use? Would airplay to a new Apple TV be a solution (my TV is 1080p)? I know it can replace my Mini to watch netflix but I have a pretty large collection of mp4 and mkv videos. Could these be streamed by the Apple TV if a HD is attached to the Airport Base? Thanks !
Smithcraft
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Insufficient ventilation is definitely bad. However, have you considered opening it up and making sure it's not full of dust?

SC

[Desktop] Intel mini - 2.16Ghz 2GB 60GB HDD - Newer miniStack v2 500GB - 10.5.8

[Media System] Intel i5 mini - 2.33Ghz 8GB 500GB HDD - 4 x Hitachi 2TB HDD in a qBOX-SF - 10.7.5 (Thanks Phil!)

Make sure it has pins!
marv777
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 10:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Screen flickering with 2009 Mac Mini: overheating issue? Reply with quote

FrenchKheldar wrote:
Hi,

Just moved to a new place and so I reinstalled my HTMacMini (2009 nVidia 9400M model) in a slightly different configuration. My wife wanted it more out of sight so I put it in a drawer which had some ventilation but maybe not enough. After a week, tonight, it became impossible to wake up the display with the keyboard. I connected to the Mini via screen sharing and everything seemed fine. I rebooted the Mini and while I got a signal on TV, the picture was now flickering pretty regulary (as much as once per second). Again, connecting to it via VNC/screen sharing works fine. Did I screw it all up by not allowing enough ventilation in the new setup? Any way I can diagnose exactly what's going on? Could it just be the miniDP connector? Could I replace this? If indeed the display output is fried, how could I still put my Mini to good use? Would airplay to a new Apple TV be a solution (my TV is 1080p)? I know it can replace my Mini to watch netflix but I have a pretty large collection of mp4 and mkv videos. Could these be streamed by the Apple TV if a HD is attached to the Airport Base? Thanks !
He is right might have a lot of dust inside. Clean it out with a compressed can of air.My friend did this and the problem went away.
mooblie
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 8:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As well as making sure the vents/ducts are all clear, I stand my 2009 mini on a CD case, to raise it another 10mm off the deck - which must help the ventilation too.
FrenchKheldar

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 4:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks a lot for your help. Turns out it was my HDMI adapter (a complicated one with the audio coming from the USB) that crapped out. Since I now route the audio to an AV receiver, I just replaced it with a regular HDMI cable and all is back to normal !
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Mini Troubleshooting All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: