123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Mac and burning Blu-Ray discs

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Desktops
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MacUser_Since_1986

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 2:04 am    Post subject: Mac and burning Blu-Ray discs Reply with quote

Eventually, our family business office is going to have to buy some new hardware, as our current machines (all Macs) are getting long-in-tooth.

I was thinking about getting a Mac Mini for several tasks.

1: hooking up to a television for playing of YouTube and other entertainment.

2: Running Windows-only GPS software from DeLorme (we have a DeLorme GPS receiver, but its software will not run on MacOS X; this would require loading Windows and using the Mini as a dual-boot machine)

3: loading Windows to hook-up to a Blu-Ray device to record and access Blu-Ray discs.

I was also considering getting a GoPro helmet camera and other tapeless HD video devices. This would require getting a Blu-Ray disc burning setup to capture all tapeless HS video for long-term storage of the footage.

This raises some questions:

Is there a method of quickly and efficiently capturing HD footage off of tapeless HD cameras and archiving it directly to Blu-Ray discs?

Is there a way to transfer the HD footage off of a Blu-Ray disc in the future for use in Macintosh video editing software, such as iMove, Adobe Premiere, or Final Cut Pro?

If this isn't the forum to ask this kind of question, can anyone recommend another forum that would be more appropriate?

Thanks!
MyMacMini

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 7:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Mac and burning Blu-Ray discs Reply with quote

MacUser_Since_1986 wrote:
Is there a method of quickly and efficiently capturing HD footage off of tapeless HD cameras and archiving it directly to Blu-Ray discs?
I both watch and record Blu-Ray. I'm using a LG external drive.
MacUser_Since_1986

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you just dub the footage over from the camcorder? Is there a faster way of transferring the footage than that? What kind of camcorder do you use?

What about your LG BluRay device? Is it a set-top unit, or is it portable?
MyMacMini

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you just dub the footage over from the camcorder?
I just plugged the camcorder (Canon Vixia HF S100) into the mini.

Quote:
Is there a faster way of transferring the footage than that?
Depends on how much you want to spend. I heard you can use Premiere and there's no need for transcoding.

Quote:
What about your LG BluRay device? Is it a set-top unit, or is it portable?
External. It's around a year old so I don't think they sell it anymore but there are several HERE, even 3D Blu-Ray.
marv777
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 10:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Mac and burning Blu-Ray discs Reply with quote

MyMacMini wrote:
I both watch and record Blu-Ray. I'm using a LG external drive.
Is there a big difference from Blu-Ray to regular DVD movies? Question
MyMacMini

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 10:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Mac and burning Blu-Ray discs Reply with quote

[quote="marv777"]
MyMacMini wrote:
Is there a big difference from Blu-Ray to regular DVD movies? Question
Yes, Both video and audio is greatly improved.

http://reviews.cnet.com/4520-6463_7-6462511-2.html
Smithcraft
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also, the file structure is substantially different.

I believe Toast can burn blurays. I would imagine that you can just burn(archive) the data to the disc as well as master a bluray 'movie.'

SC

[Desktop] Intel mini - 2.16Ghz 2GB 60GB HDD - Newer miniStack v2 500GB - 10.5.8

[Media System] Intel i5 mini - 2.33Ghz 8GB 500GB HDD - 4 x Hitachi 2TB HDD in a qBOX-SF - 10.7.5 (Thanks Phil!)

Make sure it has pins!
MyMacMini

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Smithcraft wrote:
I believe Toast can burn blurays.
There is a plug-in for it. Not sure how much it cost.
MacUser_Since_1986

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I sent a query to B&H Photo & Video of New York City last night. Here is what they had to say:

************************** BEGIN QUOTE *************************************

Thank you for contacting the E-Mail Sales Department at B&H Photo Video and Pro Audio.

Hi Walt. I read and understand your questions. Mainly you are interested in going tapless and you want to know about storing the footage from an archival stand point. Massive storage arrays are used for processing larger size video file formats, not AVCHD. Furthermore one would only use this kind of storage array as an editing drive, not for archival means. An editing drive is a drive that you use to play your timeline and takes, for playback of your complex and simple edits. If you have in use a video file-format a.k.a. a codec that is large, like a high end broadcast camera then a storage array is in order. That is not the case with AVCHD. For archiving you footage I would recommend getting a Internal 3.5 hard drive dock and 3.5 internal hard drives. Take a look. Hard Drives would be less expensive than Blu-Ray media.

Seagate 1TB Barracuda SATA II 3Gb/s Hard Drive

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/545044-REG/Seagate_ST310005N1A1AS_RK_1TB_Barracuda_SATA.html

Newer Technology Voyager Q Quad Interface Dock for 2.5″ and 3.5″ Serial ATA Drives

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/798869-REG/Newer_Technology_NWTFWU3ES2HDK_Voyager_Q_Quad_Interface.html

Please let us know if there is anything else we can assist you with.
MyMacMini

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seagate 1TB Barracuda SATA II 3Gb/s Hard Drive

Newer Technology Voyager Q Quad Interface Dock for 2.5″ and 3.5″ Serial ATA Drives

That's what I have too. Excellent drive. Only difference is my dock is a dual because it's faster to duplicate from one drive to another

http://www.thermaltakeusa.com/Products.aspx?C=1346
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Desktops All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: