123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Fan noise after installing 2nd HDD

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Mini Troubleshooting
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Noud

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 10:51 am    Post subject: Fan noise after installing 2nd HDD Reply with quote

I have a late 2006 mini and I recently replaced the HDD with a SSD, and moved the HDD into the slot where the optical drive used to be (using a caddy)

All works well, expect that the fan seems to be hyperactive. It is not running high revs constantly, but it doesn't take much for the fan to go to speeds of over 5000 rpm. Light browsing to a site containing flash is enough for the fan to make its presence known.
I checked CPU temperatures but they may only be around 40 degrees celcius when this happens, so nothing excessive.

When removing the secondary HDD + caddy, fan behavior goes back to normal.

Leaving the casing off does not seem to make much difference.

Anyone any clues? Additional info: CPU was upgraded to T7600 2 years ago without complications.
macmanmacman
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

your using a caddy is your problem.

the 2006 mac mini was known for this issue when a cd drive is in place theres a natural vent the fan can vent from around the cd drive when you use a caddy you cant vent around the cd drive sorry it's just the way it is why didn't you just install the ssd as a external box via firewire you would be better off
Noud

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 4:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe I solved it. I took out the caddy and compared the dimensions to the original DVD drive. I could not see any differences in size.

What I did notice is that the caddy was closed off on the side where one would insert a DVD. Perhaps that opening is used to get outside air into the casing.

I decided to remove the little black side panel, and for good measure also took off the top cover from the caddy.

Now the fan in my mini is back to its normal quiet mode of operation.

Thanks to macman for pointing me in the right direction.
blazer
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 5:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, you're better off with the top being more open for ventilation. I kind of ran into some of the same issues, back in the day, after doing both upgrades. It was smooth sailing after that though.
2.5GHz Core i5 Mac mini (2011)
24" Dell LCD & 42" Sharp TV
EyeTV 250 Plus
1G, 2G, 3G, 4G and 5G iPod nanos
16GB 3G iPhone
macmanmacman
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

awesome glad you got it
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Mini Troubleshooting All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: