123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Mini Just Running Slow And Beachballing? Any Suggestions?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Mini Troubleshooting
View previous topic :: View next topic  
fletch33

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 2:43 pm    Post subject: Mini Just Running Slow And Beachballing? Any Suggestions? Reply with quote

been awhile since i posted on here and appreciate any suggestions.

2.5 GHz i5
4GB Ram
Dual 23" monitors

i use this machine at work and it is just making me wait all the time lately. i am also getting beach balls on occasion which I use to never see. During the day i keep open:

Mail
Address Book
iCal
Pages
Numbers (on occasion)
Various Task Bar items like Little Snitch, iStat, Drive, Dropbox, GV

nothing appears out of whack though as my averages are:

Temp = 150F
CPU = 10%
Ram = 1.8GB Free

the only thing i am not sure about is that iStat under CPU shows me that the GPU AMD Radeon HD 6630M looks to be full on memory usage (pic below)

some symptoms are:

- changing email accounts and email takes a minute to show emails
- download something on Chrome and it beach balls before it initiates
- open a Pages doc and it takes forever
- general sluggishness

i dont keep but about 150GB on 500GB drive and do the same things everyday and so i am puzzled why it would start to slow down like this?

i consider myself fairly educated on these things so since i didnt have any ideas i thought i would throw it out there for you guys.

thanks for any feedback
Smithcraft
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For 10% CPU, 150 seems pretty hot to me. Maybe open it up and blow any dust out that might be causing it to cycle down due to heat build up. You can also use the Activity Monitor to see what all might be running behind the scenes on the mini that might be taking up CPU time.

Anyway, you can always try the new user account trick to see if the system is having issues, or if there is something wrong with your user account.

Also, maybe give Onyx a spin and see if running all the maintenance stuff helps clear out some detritus from the OS.

I've read that with the newer versions of OS X, 4 GB is a bit on the low side. Maybe it's time for an upgrade?

SC

[Desktop] Intel mini - 2.16Ghz 2GB 60GB HDD - Newer miniStack v2 500GB - 10.5.8

[Media System] Intel i5 mini - 2.33Ghz 8GB 500GB HDD - 4 x Hitachi 2TB HDD in a qBOX-SF - 10.7.5 (Thanks Phil!)

Make sure it has pins!
macmanmacman
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

whats the o.s you are using just outta thought because it could be a program
ez061111
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 12:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Mini Just Running Slow And Beachballing? Any Suggestions Reply with quote

fletch33 wrote:

2.5 GHz i5
4GB Ram
Dual 23" monitors

macmanmacman wrote:
whats the o.s you are using just outta thought because it could be a program

fletch33

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ran Onyx as mentioned above (thanks) and had forgotten about that program. did a deep cleanse and it seems to be a bit better now.
macmanmacman
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 8:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

good to here sorry i didn't see that you where running 10.8 makes a whole lot of issues pop up most computers running mountain lion are setup with 8 gig's or more ram because the o.s takes 2 gig's of ram just to boot and run the beach balling can be caused by simply having to many applications opened at once
fletch33

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i thought about adding more ram but i am never maxing it out. i watch it in my task bar and it rarely gets below 1GB available when you combine free and inactive.

if i used photoshop or anything taxing like that i would certainly upgrade but i just use mail and standard work stuff.

here is a snapshot with everything open that i mentioned i use daily:

i am going to go ahead and order 2 x 4GB sticks to take this to 8GB and i will report back. i just didnt think it was necessary.

my Air with the 1.8 i7 with 4GB ram runs 10.8.2 with VM running W8 inside it with each getting 2GB and runs better than my Mini these days. hmmm?

thanks for everyones help.

as a side note my last major participation here was more than a few years ago when you all helped me find the parts to upgrade a 1.8GHz single core to a 2.16 Dual Core 2 and that thing is still running great. not sure but it is prob 8 years old?
Smithcraft
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad to hear the old mini is still rocking!

Otherwise, I hope it is just the memory that might be at fault, 'cuz debugging OS X is getting to be a pain.

SC

[Desktop] Intel mini - 2.16Ghz 2GB 60GB HDD - Newer miniStack v2 500GB - 10.5.8

[Media System] Intel i5 mini - 2.33Ghz 8GB 500GB HDD - 4 x Hitachi 2TB HDD in a qBOX-SF - 10.7.5 (Thanks Phil!)

Make sure it has pins!
b0bb

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Noticed you had Skype running, it sometimes does strange things on my 2006 Mini running snow Leopard, suggest you shut it down to see if things improve.

Sophos or a similar virus scanner is useful to make sure you have not got a virus onboard. Sophos is free for home use.
fletch33

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

well i added the 8GB ram this morning since for $35 (Crucial) it is nice to have anyway.

i cant yet respond to performance but man was that easier than grabbing my putty knife and mentally preparing for a frustrating ram upgrade. i have taken apart my mini's for years so i can do it in my sleep but this seriously took me less than 10 minutes and that was from power down to power up with upgrade. very nice!

i also have noticed with the 45 mins i have been on it today that when given more ram it seems to be showing (iStat) that it is using more ram so i have to believe that using the programs i mentioned above that given some more room it will take a little more since its there. just a hunch and no technical reasoning for saying that.

anyway i will report back.

thanks to this great forum for always being friendly Smile
fletch33

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

update:

thanks all problem solved.

after letting my Mini settle in with 8GB ram and allowing my daily apps to all be open and running my Mini is comfortably using about 4.5GB of ram but running GREAT again.
macmanmacman
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 3:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

awesome to here
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Mini Troubleshooting All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: