123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Facetime over 4G on iPad

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> iPhone, iPod touch and iPad
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bandit Bill
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 12:37 pm    Post subject: Facetime over 4G on iPad Reply with quote

I wanted to share my experience with others, regarding Facetime over 4G on an iPad.

It's been working flawlessly for me. I use it 4 days a week while commuting to school from work. Typically I make about a 20-30 minute call.

A 20 minute call uses about 30 MB of data. It barely puts a dent into my 5GB per month plan and has eliminated the need for me to have a cell phone.

The calls are crystal clear. In fact it works better than any "in car hands free" cell option I have ever used (and I've had quite a few expensive options). Anything from a slight whisper can be detected. Voices are crystal clear.

I don't really use the video part of it other than at the beginning and end of the call, because I am driving, but it seems to work just fine as well. It's a little choppy but preferred as it saves bandwidth.

All I can say is if Apple ever introduced a 4G iPod touch, they wouldn't sell very many iPhones. Facetime over 4G works very well.

I'm sure there are alternatives, that just give voice, but Facetime is very convenient. Most of my friends already have it, so we are already set up in one another's address books. We can send iMessages and go right into Facetime right through iMessage. You can still send audio without sending video ie. start another app close smart cover, but I never tested if this saves data usage.

Anyhow... thumbs up. Facetime over 4G is excellent.
g5g5
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's cool. I'm buying my wife a 4G Verizon iPad this year for Christmas, so she'll be able to stay in touch with family an each other over Facetime. I was in the store looking at them this weekend. One of the things that brought me there was to see the upgraded front camera. Man, it's a huge improvement over the 2G and 3G iPads. It's like night and day in clarity, so she is going to be in great shape. It doesn't sound like it blows through much data over 4G either. I thought that number (30MB) would be much higher for a 20-30 minute call. That being said, most of her calls will still probably be over Wi-Fi. Oh well, thanks for posting your experience Bandit. I like posts like this.
iLife's a Bitch!
Bandit Bill
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

g5g5 wrote:
I thought that number (30MB) would be much higher for a 20-30 minute call.

I thought it would be higher as well especially given the video is being sent and received. I looked at my data usage and it is pretty consistent. I make the calls at the same time, so it's pretty easy to pinpoint on the data log.

I guess seeing you are getting the new iPad with the new camera, it's worth noting that I'm using and 3rd gen iPad. Your data rates may vary with the new and improved camera.
devo
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think we are going to pickup a regular 16GB or 32GB iPad on Black Friday. My wife said they had them for $60 off somewhere. I can't remember where at the moment. I'll ask her and post back.

Yeah, I thought those numbers would be higher over the network. I bet you're right about them being higher over the network with the improved camera. But it won't matter for us. We'll just be over wi-fi.

You know what? We all need to get together and talk over FaceTime this winter. Smile

You'll have to excuse the mess at my house though. I just got around to doing up the man cave. But the rest of our house is basically done. I have just busted my hump over the last couple months. I'm really tired!
devo
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The $60 off is at Target in the form of a gift card. She shops there all the time so I don't think she cares that it's not in the form of a regular discount.
g5g5
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bandit Bill wrote:
I guess seeing you are getting the new iPad with the new camera, it's worth noting that I'm using and 3rd gen iPad. Your data rates may vary with the new and improved camera.

I don't see it being much higher, but that's a good point.
iLife's a Bitch!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> iPhone, iPod touch and iPad All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: