123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Is the 2.6GHz Core i7 worth $100 more?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Mini
View previous topic :: View next topic  
VanHorn1970

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 11:16 pm    Post subject: Is the 2.6GHz Core i7 worth $100 more? Reply with quote

Do you guys think the 2.6GHz Core i7 is worth $100 more? Or would I be better off using the money for a SSD or more RAM? I'm just wondering how much that little boost in clock speed gives you. Any opinions would be appreciated. I plan on ordering a $799 mini towards the end of this week.

This is a great site by the way. I'm already learning a lot here, as this will only be my second Mac. My first Mac was a white MacBook with the old GMA 950 graphics. It was plagued just by hardware issues. I used it for a while, sold it and moved back to Windows. Just kinda gave up. I'm ready to give OS X another look now though.
Bandit Bill
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 11:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Is the 2.6GHz Core i7 worth $100 more? Reply with quote

VanHorn1970 wrote:
Do you guys think the 2.6GHz Core i7 is worth $100 more? Or would I be better off using the money for a SSD or more RAM?

No.

I suggest you put the money towards a Fusion drive. Perhaps you can pick up some RAM for cheap on Black Friday.
VanHorn1970

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply! I kinda forgot about Black Friday coming up. Does Apple ever discount the Mac mini on Black Friday? I kinda remember them not, but I could be wrong. I don't follow the Mac sites that much.
Bandit Bill
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 12:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

VanHorn1970 wrote:
Thanks for the reply! I kinda forgot about Black Friday coming up. Does Apple ever discount the Mac mini on Black Friday? I kinda remember them not, but I could be wrong. I don't follow the Mac sites that much.

Who knows what they will do this year. You only have 12 days to wait, so you may as well wait if you were planning on waiting a week anyhow. They didn't discount minis last year, but being there are no iMacs available, they might.
VanHorn1970

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 2:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a good point about the iMac not be available. Maybe that's one of the reasons they are holding back the release date. Then they won't have to discount a limited supply of the product. I'm just going to wait until Black Friday.

Again, thanks for your replies Bandit Bill. You gave me some things to think about. You might also be saving me some money. Smile
g5g5
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm with Bandit. Save you money for other upgrades (16GB of RAM would be my top priority) or even an extended AppleCare warranty.

As for Black Friday, I don't remember Apple ever offering the Mac mini at a discount. I guess there's always a first time though.

I was going to buy a new Mac mini, but I have some other priorities for family and friends over the holidays. I'll probably wait until the first quarter of next year to treat myself.
iLife's a Bitch!
marv777
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 10:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Is the 2.6GHz Core i7 worth $100 more? Reply with quote

VanHorn1970 wrote:
Do you guys think the 2.6GHz Core i7 is worth $100 more? Or would I be better off using the money for a SSD or more RAM? I'm just wondering how much that little boost in clock speed gives you. Any opinions would be appreciated. I plan on ordering a $799 mini towards the end of this week.

This is a great site by the way. I'm already learning a lot here, as this will only be my second Mac. My first Mac was a white MacBook with the old GMA 950 graphics. It was plagued just by hardware issues. I used it for a while, sold it and moved back to Windows. Just kinda gave up. I'm ready to give OS X another look now though.
Buy what you can afford in life.If you have the extra money buy it with the fusion drive it is worth it.
get_up

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 4:06 am    Post subject: Re: Is the 2.6GHz Core i7 worth $100 more? Reply with quote

marv777 wrote:
VanHorn1970 wrote:

Buy what you can afford in life.If you have the extra money buy it with the fusion drive it is worth it.

U can change or upgrade SSD or Ram but you cant upgrade by yourself 2.3 to 2.6 core so logically buying with this upgrade is better i think..
marv777
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 10:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Is the 2.6GHz Core i7 worth $100 more? Reply with quote

get_up wrote:
marv777 wrote:
VanHorn1970 wrote:

U can change or upgrade SSD or Ram but you cant upgrade by yourself 2.3 to 2.6 core so logically buying with this upgrade is better i think..
You are right upgrade with more ram and ssd perhaps.No big deal from 2.3 to 2.6 anyway.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Mini All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: