123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

HDMI issues with 2012 Mac mini?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Mini Troubleshooting
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PipZippy

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 11:10 pm    Post subject: HDMI issues with 2012 Mac mini? Reply with quote

Any of you guys having video issues with a 2012 Mac mini through HDMI? I have an issue where my screen goes to black about every 3-4 hours. It happens for a couple seconds and then corrects itself. Almost like a handshake issue.
Badger

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 12:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No issues here. I did see something mentioned about it on the Apple forums though.
macmanmacman
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you need a high speed hdmi cable and your tv must support 1080 i and 1080 p the new minis have issues being set for 720p with certain tv's
Lilputter

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 11:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm having the same problem. I called Apple today and they said to reset the NVRAM. It hasn't done it again since resetting, but it might be too early to tell.
macmanmacman
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

good then that means they now have a fix awesome
Grover Time

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't have any issues with flickering or having my screen go to black. My only complaint is that my colors are looking a little washed out with HDMI. I read this is a common complaint with HD 4000 graphics though.
macmanmacman
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

actually there is a fix for that go into your settings for your tv and adjust the settings to movie or tv if i remember right it should brighten up the screen and fix the color wash issue.
ez061111
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As Grover Time mentions, there seems to be some issues with the HD 4000 GPU. Several threads at Mac Rumors:

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1478837

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1482487
3.5GHz 6C MP, D700s
epic_ed

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 2:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apple just released an update for the MacBook Air and MacBook Pro for video issues. It supposedly improves the performance and reliability of their graphics. So I wouldn't be surprised to see the new Mac mini get one too. Seeing they all use Intel HD 4000 graphics.
Nix

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 3:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I having the same problems with HDMI. I just hope this is a software issue and not a hardware issue. A thread on the Intel forums has me thinking might be a hardware issue though.

http://communities.intel.com/thread/30096?start=0&tstart=0

There is a post from someone at Intel saying they are "currently working to get this issue resolved", but that was on June 22, 2012 at 2:22PM. I don't see anything mentioned after that about a fix though.

I hate to return my Mac mini (it really fits my needs), but I don't know what else to think. Sad
Rightondamark

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 5:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What's new? I kinda remember reading about these same issues with the 2011 Mac minis. I forget where, but it was for screen flickering and going blank. I think Apple even released an EFI update to address HDMI and/or HDCP issues. I didn't hear much about it after that. I assumed it was fixed. So maybe that's what we are in need of here. Another EFI update to address these similar issues.
BottleNeck72

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not trying to pile on or troll. My screen goes to black for about 1-3 seconds every 1-3 hours. Sometimes it sticks on the black forcing me to hard restart with the power button. I called Apple and the support person said they were unaware on any widespread issues. They gave me a few things to try like resetting the PRAM and deleting some .plist files. Neither fix made a bit of difference. So their advice was to return the Mac mini for a replacement. I'm going to try another one this week. If it does the same, I'll be returning it.
OGN
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BottleNeck72 wrote:
I called Apple and the support person said they were unaware on any widespread issues.

Everyone having these issues should write to Apple on their feedback page for the Mac mini. It might help with them all being resolved faster.

http://www.apple.com/feedback/macmini.html
Kremmers

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 4:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My screen was going to black with a 2011 Mac mini after it was released. Just like this. This EFI firmware update from Apple finally corrected the issue. Here's hoping that something is in the works for the 2012 Mac mini. I want one bad. Smile
Lilputter

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 5:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The problem came back after resetting the NVRAM. I do have good news though. I unplugged everything from the Mac mini, reset the SMC, then reset the NVRAM again, and it hasn't done it for two days. I hope it holds.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Mini Troubleshooting All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: