123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

2012 Mac Mini startup trouble shooting

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Mini
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cazzz

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 8:22 pm    Post subject: 2012 Mac Mini startup trouble shooting Reply with quote

Need some expert help on this one.

I have modified my mac mini by wiring a y connector to the turn on switch that allows me to use an external switch.

I also removed the internal power supply and use a DC plug on the back of the case.

Here is the issue.

If I use a monentary switch connected to the y connector it works, the mini turns on or off each time the switch is pressed.

Using an DC power supply that signals for the turn on however does not work. If I plug in the power supply ACPI cable to the Y cable the Mini turns on and off at random.

There is a short occuring between the DC plug and the turn on circuit.

After testing I have continuity between the + side of the DC plug and the + side of my "y" connector for the turn on circuit.

The power supply has a special wire to signal the ACPI turn on. It basically closes the circuit to ground which acts like a switch to the Mac Mini.

I'm not sure what to try next. I could switch the wires on the "Y" circuit but I do not want to fry the mother board.

Does it matter which way the turn on switch is wired to the mother board?

I know it sounds confusing. Check out my post about the 5 mods to the Mac Mini, it has some pics.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Mini All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: