123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Engadget Posts Review of 2012 Mac Mini

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews
View previous topic :: View next topic  
admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 4:31 pm    Post subject: Engadget Posts Review of 2012 Mac Mini Reply with quote

Engadget Posts Review of 2012 Mac Mini
Friday, November 9, 2012
Posted by: Staff

Engadget just posted up a review of the 2012 Mac mini. It's a fairly comprehensive review covering all aspects of the machine. Taking note of the upgrades to Ivy Bridge processors, USB 3.0 and build-to-order Fusion Drive. They also posted up some benchmarks and have a nice photo gallery of unboxing pictures. We're also happy to report that Engadget comes away impressed with the 2012 Mac mini. Calling it a "shining star" for those in the know.

curt
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 9:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Engadget Posts Review of 2012 Mac Mini Reply with quote

admin wrote:
Calling it a "shining star" for those in the know.

Well, I have been in the know for a long time now. Smile

I also think it's great that Apple doesn't appear to be holding back the Mac mini anymore. It seems like Apple is generally interested in making it the best it can. Or at least keeping it up to date with the other Macs in their line. That hasn't always been the case. At times it felt like they might Mac Pro it. Letting it linger to a slow death.

Last edited by curt on Sat Nov 10, 2012 12:14 am; edited 1 time in total
marv777
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 10:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Engadget Posts Review of 2012 Mac Mini Reply with quote

I am glad the 2012 got a good review. Apple is doing a good job.
Bandit Bill
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 11:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Engadget Posts Review of 2012 Mac Mini Reply with quote

It was a respectable update, but my feelings differ. No dedicated graphics chipset option was a downgrade. The server model went from 7200 RPM drives to 5,400 RPM drives. Minis have 5,400 RPM drives, You can't get an SSD or fusion drive in the entry level mini. If you do get an upper end mini with a fushion drive it's 5,400 RPM (instead of 7,200 RPM). 4GB of RAM isn't overly generous either.

I feel that Apple still purposely holds back on the minis components to make more profit and as to not effect iMac sales. This has been the tradition since 2005. If this were not the case, we wouldn't have so many enthusiast on this site making modifications for improved performance.

The update was well overdue (461 days). The only other gap that was longer was the update from the 2007 to 2009 model (574 days).

I personally don't find this to be an "amazing" update, it's an Intel update more than an Apple update. It's expected and overdue, Ivy Bridge processors have been in production since late 2011, USB 3 has been around since 2010.

That being said the new minis are VERY good computers and continue to offer great value.
OGN
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 12:31 am    Post subject: Re: Engadget Posts Review of 2012 Mac Mini Reply with quote

Bandit Bill wrote:
The server model went from 7200 RPM drives to 5,400 RPM drives.

That is a disappointment. Even though you are still getting another terabyte worth of storage over the 2011 Mac mini server. The rest of the upgrades fell inline with my expectations. So overall, I would give this update a B+. It could have been an A with better graphics.
Badger

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 12:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just know one thing. I'm really happy with my new Mac mini. And... it is one of those products from Apple that sort of gets lost in the mix. But once you own one, you really find out how special they are. It also fills so many different needs. Everything from being used a server to HTPC. I'm dubbing it the Mac of all trades. It's just a really nice little system.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: