123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Will memory upgrade benefit graphics performance?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Mini Upgrading
View previous topic :: View next topic  
phylth

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 12:46 pm    Post subject: Will memory upgrade benefit graphics performance? Reply with quote

I recently bought a bone-stock 2011 server edition I'm using as a family desktop. We love the rig but I'm worried about our long-term satisfaction with the onboard intel 3000 HD graphics performance.

I've read that bumping the memory to 8Gb or more has the effect of increasing the memory available to graphics from 384 to 512Mb. What does that really mean? What impact does the additional graphics memory headroom have on the system's performance? What apps or games will be affected, or be able to take advantage?

Grateful for any and all replies. That said, there's no need to post that if I was concerned about graphics I should have gotten a different mini. I already understand that. Just interested in what impact more memory will have on the existing 3000 HD. Thanks.

Dave
Ben Tex
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There will (at least on paper) be a slight benefit with more memory allocated. That being said, you're probably not going to notice much of a difference. You will have more overall headroom on your system with 8GB of RAM installed though. And better overall system performance (with less swapping to the hard drive). Because in general, the "video" memory will be released back to your system with DVMT anyways. It's not like a using dedicated card with its own memory, it's being dynamically used with your system memory based on need. So, install more memory for better overall system performance. Don't expect much of a difference in your graphical performance.
macmanmacman
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 2:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i would give you this advice.

If you can afford the memory upgrade do the memory upgrade you will be happier with more ram
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Mini Upgrading All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: