123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Expand JBOD in ML?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac OS X
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AT0MAC

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 2:22 am    Post subject: Expand JBOD in ML? Reply with quote

I am currently building a server that is going to run Mountain Lion. I am practically done building but before I start installing software I want to know one thing:

Can I expand my 5TB JBOD later without loosing any data?

I don't need more space now, but if I cant add later I better buy the last disc before I complete the build.
Smithcraft
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 4:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is your JBoD set up as a RAID, or some sort of spanning setup? It should just be a bunch of discs so adding new drives should just mean that you are putting more drives in the case, formatting, and using.

SC

[Desktop] Intel mini - 2.16Ghz 2GB 60GB HDD - Newer miniStack v2 500GB - 10.5.8

[Media System] Intel i5 mini - 2.33Ghz 8GB 500GB HDD - 4 x Hitachi 2TB HDD in a qBOX-SF - 10.7.5 (Thanks Phil!)

Make sure it has pins!
AT0MAC

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 4:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Smithcraft wrote:
Is your JBoD set up as a RAID, or some sort of spanning setup? It should just be a bunch of discs so adding new drives should just mean that you are putting more drives in the case, formatting, and using.

SC

It will be spanning - so I hope you mean formatting only the new drive and then add it to the JBOD?
AT0MAC

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have different time zones, can someone answer the question I asked above?
Smithcraft
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I only have one time zone, but if you are spanning then you should check with the vendor of your spanning software.

SC

[Desktop] Intel mini - 2.16Ghz 2GB 60GB HDD - Newer miniStack v2 500GB - 10.5.8

[Media System] Intel i5 mini - 2.33Ghz 8GB 500GB HDD - 4 x Hitachi 2TB HDD in a qBOX-SF - 10.7.5 (Thanks Phil!)

Make sure it has pins!
AT0MAC

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 6:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Smithcraft wrote:
I only have one time zone, but if you are spanning then you should check with the vendor of your spanning software.

SC

Sorry, my bad I meant I hate different time zones, because I could have used a quick answer but had to wait till someone was here to help.

The software I will be using is Disk Utility in OS X and as I had just confirmed on a similar thread another place in the web it will not mess up my existing data if I wait with adding a third drive.

Anyway, thank you for responding Smile
You have been really helpful in the past so hope I find something you can answer another time.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac OS X All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: