123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Mac Mini won't shut down

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Mini Troubleshooting
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zoozyq

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 10:18 am    Post subject: Mac Mini won't shut down Reply with quote

I purchased a mac mini in mid 2011 that has a 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo. I am running Mountain Lion 10.8.2. Ever since I upgraded I've had to force shut down by holding the power switch in or it continually gives me an error message on shut down and reboots. I've been expecting an new version to fix this problem but I am losing hope. Any advice?

Thanks,
Linda
macmanmacman
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you update the mac mini's firmware before you installed mountain lion it sounds like you have firmware corruption it's easy to fix go to apple.com and download the latest firmware for the mac mini also check in utilities and check activity monitor to see what is running that shouldn't be
Zoozyq

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="macmanmacman"]Did you update the mac mini's firmware before you installed mountain lion it sounds like you have firmware corruption it's easy to fix go to apple.com and download the latest firmware for the mac mini also check in utilities and check activity monitor to see what is running that shouldn't be[/quote]

I'll check it out...thanks...
Zoozyq

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 8:44 pm    Post subject: No Joy Reply with quote

My mac mini is still failing to shut down unless I use the shut down button and is now expanding it's repertoire of ailments by freezing and forcing a hard shut down all too frequently. I've come to the conclusion that the previous version of the Mac Mini is either a POS or the team that is responsible for keeping it working well through updates has decided to sacrifice it and all of us who (previously) had faith in Apple.

After two visits to my local Apple store, care plan in hand, I've realized that no one actually cares if it works or not. My eyes are open and Apple is now off the pedestal. I have owned and taught on Apple computers since the late 80's, and my more recent purchases include not only this mini, but a Macbook Pro, and several generations of iPads. I guess I should be grateful for this opening of my eyes, as it has expanded my choices in computer hardware.

Very disappointed in Boulder, Colorado...
macmanmacman
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 12:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am sorry to here that you should send apple a letter explaining this to them they do care about there stores and how they treat people
b0bb

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 12:32 am    Post subject: Re: Mac Mini won't shut down Reply with quote

Zoozyq wrote:
I purchased a mac mini in mid 2011 that has a 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo. I am running Mountain Lion 10.8.2. Ever since I upgraded I've had to force shut down by holding the power switch in or it continually gives me an error message on shut down and reboots. I've been expecting an new version to fix this problem but I am losing hope. Any advice?

Thanks,
Linda

Do you have 3rdparty devices like a scanner or camera or extra software for your mouse ?

If you do disconnect everything except the monitor, mouse and keyboard and try the shutdown sequence again.

You might also try waiting for about 30mins to see if the Mini eventually shuts down. If it does, it may point to a bad device driver kext that is not compatible with the latest version of Mountain Lion or a failed kext upgrade (like still running the old 10.8 kext)
Zoozyq

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 10:28 am    Post subject: Thank you Reply with quote

MacmanMacman, I should say that the store employee didn't treat me badly; she was courteous and went through the motions, looked at some things that obviously were not the problem, but underneath she seemed to have given up the second time, as though she knew she was powerless to permanently fix it. What is puzzling to me is that she was able to test that it indeed had this problem each time and then restart it in some way that cured the problem temporarily, but she did not share this procedure with me when I asked her so I could do it myself at home; she probably didn't want to imply it was a real fix.

B0bb, I had nothing plugged into the Mac Mini. The keyboard and mouse are Apple bluetooth devices.

I have sent an email to Apple about this, and I have begun the process of a phone consultation, but this is so reminiscent of what one constantly has to endure when owning a Windows machine that I am disheartened. I've always been able to count on Apple hardware and operating system consistency...
Zoozyq

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 12:56 pm    Post subject: Found and cured the problem! :-) Reply with quote

B0bb, you were right on, after all; the problem was not with the Mac Mini but with a communication sent to the Mini on shut down by the LG television we were using as a monitor. Upon further web searching my husbansd discovered a comment that there have been problems with newer LG televisions sending a signal to some Minis (not sure if this only happens with older Minis) upon shut down which causes this error and restart. To test that I hooked up a different television/monitor to the Mini and have been able to shut down numerous times with no problem.

As technologies continue fairly rapid change I will be much more careful with peripherals in the future. Thanks to everyone who offered help! Smile
b0bb

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 12:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are welcome, glad it worked out for you.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Mini Troubleshooting All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: