123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Looking for SSD recommendations for a 2012 Mac mini
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Mini Upgrading
View previous topic :: View next topic  
FatBoysMini

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 4:38 am    Post subject: Looking for SSD recommendations for a 2012 Mac mini Reply with quote

New member here. I'm a proud new owner of a new Mac mini. It's the mid level i7-based mini with 16GB of RAM. I upgraded the RAM on Friday, which as you guys know, is a total breeze. Now I'm looking to add a second drive to the mini with the kit from OWC. Do you guys have any recommendations for a 256GB SSD? Something that is perhaps better for OS X or its partitioning scheme. I'm new to the world of Macs and SSDs.
marv777
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 10:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Looking for SSD recommendations for a 2012 Mac mini Reply with quote

FatBoysMini wrote:
New member here. I'm a proud new owner of a new Mac mini. It's the mid level i7-based mini with 16GB of RAM. I upgraded the RAM on Friday, which as you guys know, is a total breeze. Now I'm looking to add a second drive to the mini with the kit from OWC. Do you guys have any recommendations for a 256GB SSD? Something that is perhaps better for OS X or its partitioning scheme. I'm new to the world of Macs and SSDs.
Welcome first of all.Seagate makes good SSD which some of my friends have and they are quite happy.
Philly1968

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 11:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Samsung 830 series and Crucial M4 series drives are solid. I've been using a Crucial M4 (256GB) in a 2011 Mac mini for the last few months. I haven't had a single issue yet.
b0bb

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 2:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Crucial M4 is being heavily discounted right now. I am thinking of getting a 512M for my 2011 i7.

Take a look on Amazon
Rightondamark

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 3:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

b0bb wrote:
The Crucial M4 is being heavily discounted right now. I am thinking of getting a 512M for my 2011 i7.

Take a look on Amazon

Wow, only $170 for the 256GB model. That's an awesome price! I was just looking around at them the other week and they were right over $200.
Texark

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 3:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Newegg has them for $5 less with EMCYTZT2478 as the promo code.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820148443

Just make sure that you guys update the latest firmware before installing Lion or Mountain Lion. I've read that it can be a fussy one with older versions.
macmanmacman
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dont trust seagate they corrupt to easy i would recommend crucial or samsung
FatBoysMini

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the suggestions! I'm going to take a closer look at the 830s and M4s. It looks like they are some of the more popular drives. I was also reading about the OCZ Vertex 4 series drives. They are priced a little higher, but come with a 5-year warranty.
Ben Tex
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would wait a couple days because the new Samsung 840 Pros are coming out. You'll get better performance and power consumption, possibly leading to cooler temps, for around the same price. It also comes with a five year warranty.
marv777
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 9:41 pm    Post subject: Crucial Reply with quote

Philly1968 wrote:
The Samsung 830 series and Crucial M4 series drives are solid. I've been using a Crucial M4 (256GB) in a 2011 Mac mini for the last few months. I haven't had a single issue yet.
They are quite expensive right?
b0bb

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 10:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Crucial Reply with quote

marv777 wrote:
Philly1968 wrote:
They are quite expensive right?

If Amazon delivers to your part of the world, there is quite a few bargains to be had, also thanksgiving is coming up so expect more of the same.
b0bb

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FatBoysMini wrote:
Thanks for the suggestions! I'm going to take a closer look at the 830s and M4s. It looks like they are some of the more popular drives. I was also reading about the OCZ Vertex 4 series drives. They are priced a little higher, but come with a 5-year warranty.

As a FYI

OCZ is cutting back, planning about 28% staff reduction. They also lost their long time CEO Ryan Petersen.
http://www.techspot.com/news/50687-ocz-is-axing-28-of-its-global-workforce-and-150-product-variations.html
Texark

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 11:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

b0bb wrote:
OCZ is cutting back, planning about 28% staff reduction. They also lost their long time CEO Ryan Petersen.

I've always been a fan of their memory products, but that doesn't sound good. I bet they don't even make it now with all of the competition out there. How do you really compete with the Samsungs, Intels and Crucials of the world anyways? You really need a perfect record. Which is something they don't have in the SSD space being an early mover.
b0bb

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Texark wrote:
b0bb wrote:

I've always been a fan of their memory products, but that doesn't sound good. I bet they don't even make it now with all of the competition out there. How do you really compete with the Samsungs, Intels and Crucials of the world anyways? You really need a perfect record. Which is something they don't have in the SSD space being an early mover.

Agreed. I hope they sort themselves out, they really kept the big guys on their toes.
aquaman
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 11:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a Mercury Extreme Pro from OWC in my MacBook Pro. It's treated me very well over the last couple of moths. They are priced higher than some of the other drives mentioned though. Sad

It's nice to see prices falling though. Once you have a SSD in your system, it's hard going back to something running at 5400rpm. It almost feels like you are in the dark ages of computing.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Mini Upgrading All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: