123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

HD4000 Video
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Mini
View previous topic :: View next topic  
b0bb

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 2:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fleeeee7 wrote:
A little off topic, but how much system memory does the HD 4000 consume?

768Mb according to people on Macrumors
http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1476214
epic_ed

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 3:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is the max, but it can actually range anywhere from 384 MB to 768 MB. Cause the HD 4000 adjusts on the fly.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3246
get_up

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

b0bb wrote:
Texark wrote:

But that's more with the Ivy Bridge ULV chips, not the regular Ivy Bridge mobile chips used in the MacBook Pro and Mac mini. Right?

It is across the entire cpu range (ULV, Mobile, Desktop, E3 server), as far as I can tell, I looked for info to say the contrary but have not found any.

I don't think they do quads on the ULV devices, for this reason. Have you seen any ULVs with the HD4000 ?

I bought the dual core as I did not see that there was enough headroom in the context of the Mini for the quads to really stretch their legs. If Apple used an external GPU it would have changed things quite a bit.

So for just extra graphic u paid 2 000 usd more (if not sorry Smile, apple did their job very well , i see now why they didnt update graphic card Smile
aquaman
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 11:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a feeling that Haswell-based Macs are going to change a lot of people's minds about integrated graphics. They are said to be much improved over the HD 3000 and HD 4000 graphics. Like three times better.
b0bb

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 12:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

aquaman wrote:
I have a feeling that Haswell-based Macs are going to change a lot of people's minds about integrated graphics. They are said to be much improved over the HD 3000 and HD 4000 graphics. Like three times better.

You are correct.

Haswell has 128Mb on die memory, basically an on die frame buffer.

The GPU thermal envelope goes from 17W down to 8W. I am hoping Intel will do better as the 22nm process node matures. This is 2X the headroom for CPU turbo operation.

The GPU shader code, on Haswell, does not have to run out of cache anymore, this was one reason graphics performance fell off the cliff at high resolutions in the current CPUs, it got too big to fit in cache without bringing the CPU down to its knees.

http://www.extremetech.com/computing/136219-intels-haswell-is-an-unprecedented-threat-to-nvidia-amd
get_up

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 4:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

get_up wrote:
b0bb wrote:
Texark wrote:

But that's more with the Ivy Bridge ULV chips, not the regular Ivy Bridge mobile chips used in the MacBook Pro and Mac mini. Right?

It is across the entire cpu range (ULV, Mobile, Desktop, E3 server), as far as I can tell, I looked for info to say the contrary but have not found any.

I don't think they do quads on the ULV devices, for this reason. Have you seen any ULVs with the HD4000 ?

I bought the dual core as I did not see that there was enough headroom in the context of the Mini for the quads to really stretch their legs. If Apple used an external GPU it would have changed things quite a bit.

So for just extra graphic u paid 2 000 usd more (if not sorry Smile, apple did their job very well , i see now why they didnt update graphic card Smile

Sorry i misunderstood ,thought you bought MAcPro . ..

anyway i7 2.6 with ivybridge is better than i7 2.7 with sandybridge and limited GPU to 256mb.. hd4000 can go to 768 mb with 8gb ram ... so it is appx equal to AMD radeon,if u compare speed and other stuff sorry but ivybridge is up ..
Rends

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 7:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have done some game benchmarking and posted the videos over at youtube:

DIRT Showdown http://youtube.com/watch?v=jOUlbwb-Xpw

ARMA2 Arrowhead http://youtube.com/watch?v=j9QaI7vKWTw

F1 Race Stars http://youtube.com/watch?v=FkqecP2fQsw

CRYSIS: http://youtube.com/watch?v=OxyQwS7ANO0

Last edited by Rends on Mon Nov 19, 2012 8:29 am; edited 2 times in total
scooper
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 8:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rends wrote:
I have done some game benchmarking and posted the videos over at youtube:

It looks to be doing pretty good with those games. And that's with the base Core-i5 with 4GB of RAM. What's your overall opinion?
Rends

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well after the 2012 announcement i was somewhat disappointed that the new one didnīt come with a 6630 successor but then i watched other intel HD 4000 game videos (from PC notebooks) and gave it a try.
Iīm pretty happy with the HD 4000 (coming from a 2009 Mac Mini with the 9400m)
Now i can play my older games at 1440x900 native resolution with most settings at max.
Then i dl some demos from new games and benchmarked them to see what the HD 4000 is capable of.
It seems that it can handle most(?) at 1200x800 res with medium settings (AA off) very well.
I wouldn't try Risen 2. tested it 1200x800 and most settings low or med but it ran poorly with 13-20 fps.
Rends

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm testing SWTOR right now. Just installed it and had some Rookie fights on Ord Mantel.
Running the game at 1440x900 with medium settings i got 23-35 fps in the combat at the beginning and 40+ fps in the next town where the spaceport is located.
I'm not sure if the fps stay smooth in bigger battles ( if the are any?). Well then i might go back to 1200x800 resolution.
Will report if i know more ( need to understand the game).
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Mini All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: