123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

iPad mini Review Roundup

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews
View previous topic :: View next topic  
admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 11:29 pm    Post subject: iPad mini Review Roundup Reply with quote

iPad mini Review Roundup
Wednesday, October 31, 2012
Posted by: Staff

Here's a roundup of reviews for the new iPad mini, which is officially launching from Apple on November 2nd. This roundup includes reviews from Engadget, The Verge, CNET, The Guardian, The Loop, AllThingsD, TechCrunch, Time, SlashGear, and the USA Today. Down below are some excerpts and links to each review. Check them out if you are interested!

Engadget - "This isn't just an Apple tablet made to a budget. This isn't just a shrunken-down iPad. This is, in many ways, Apple's best tablet yet, an incredibly thin, remarkably light, obviously well-constructed device that offers phenomenal battery life. No, the performance doesn't match Apple's latest and yes, that display is a little lacking in resolution, but nothing else here will leave you wanting. At $329, this has a lot to offer over even Apple's more expensive tablets," writes Tim Stevens.

The Verge – "The iPad mini is an excellent tablet, but it's not a very cheap one. Whether that's by design, or due to market forces beyond Apple's control, I can't say for sure. I can't think of another company that cares as much about how its products are designed and built - or one that knows how to maximize a supply chain as skillfully — so something tells me it's no accident that this tablet isn't selling for $200. It doesn't feel like Apple is racing to some lowest-price bottom - rather it seems to be trying to raise the floor," writes Joshua Topolsky.

CNET – "The iPad Mini is one of the few new product lines that Apple has unveiled this year, yet it's really just an incredibly shrunken-down redesign of the iPad 2. It's a perfect size and weight and works exactly as advertised: it's a truly portable iPad with nearly no compromises, except for lacking the most cutting-edge Retina Display technology and fastest processors. And it's priced beyond the budget range that's already represented by devices from Amazon, Barnes & Noble, and Google," writes Scott Stein.

The Guardian - "Apple is going to sell a lot of these - quite possibly more than the "large" iPad - in this quarter. The only way Apple could improve on this product would be (as some people are already agitating) to give it a retina screen and somehow make it lighter. That might happen at some point. You can wait if you like; other people, in the meantime, will be buying this one," writes Charles Author.

The Loop – "I was really surprised with how much I used the iPad mini in my daily routine - more than the 10-inch iPad. There are a couple of things you have to remember with the iPad mini. First, it isn’t just a smaller iPad, but rather it feels like its own device," writes Jim Dalrymple.

AllThingsD – "I've been testing the iPad mini for several days and found it does exactly what it promises: It brings the iPad experience to a smaller device. Every app that ran on my larger iPad ran perfectly on the mini. I was able to use it one-handed and hold it for long periods of time without tiring. My only complaints were that it's a tad too wide to fit in most of my pockets, and the screen resolution is a big step backwards from the Retina display on the current large iPad," writes Walt Mossberg.

TechCrunch – "Apple isn't looking at this as $329 versus $199. They're looking at this as an impossibly small iPad 2 sold at the most affordable price for an iPad yet. In other words, they're not looking at the tablet competition. This isn't a tablet. It's an iPad. People love these things," writes MG Siegler.

Time - "If your budget's got more wiggle room, the iPad Mini is the best compact-sized tablet on the market. Apple didn't build yet another bargain-basement special; it squeezed all of the big iPad's industrial-design panache, software polish and third-party apps, and most of its technology, into a smaller thinner, lighter, lower-priced model. The result may be a product in a category of one - but I have a hunch it's going to be an awfully popular category," writes Harry McCracken.

SlashGear - "In the end, it's about an overall package, an experience which Apple is offering. Not the fastest tablet, nor the cheapest, nor the one that prioritizes the most pixel-dense display, but the one with the lion's share of tablet applications, the integration with the iOS/iTunes ecosystem, the familiarity of usability and, yes, the brand cachet. That's a compelling metric by which to judge a new product, and it's a set of abilities that single the iPad mini out in the marketplace. If the iPad with Retina display is the flagship of Apple’s tablet range, then the iPad mini is the everyman model, and it's one that will deservedly sell very well," writes Vincent Nguyen.

USA Today - "Despite a few quibbles and strong competitors in the space, the iPad mini is a splendid choice for folks who held off buying an iPad because it was too large or too expensive," writes Edward C. Baig.

Update: Down below are new reviews of the iPad mini from Macworld and Ars Technica.

Macworld - "Assuming the iPad mini has made the cut this far, you're left with the most difficult question: fourth-generation iPad or iPad mini? If you're on a budget, you'll save $170 by going with the mini, but you'll still get the full iPad experience, including access to all the same apps and accessories. If, like me, you place a premium on portability, light weight, and one-handed use, the iPad mini's smaller size makes it very appealing. And assuming your favorite games don't depend on a Retina display, the iPad mini is a fantastic gaming device. This is the MacBook Air of iPads," writes Dan Frakes.

Ars Technica - "So am I selling my third-generation iPad yet? I'm still not sure. I'll probably hang onto them both for a while to see if I can get a feel for what really serves me best. If the iPad mini had a retina display, the answer would likely be much easier," writes Jacqui Cheng.

http://www.123macmini.com/news/story/1921.html

Last edited by admin on Fri Jun 14, 2013 12:13 pm; edited 2 times in total
WheelSpinners
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 12:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love the looks of the iPad mini, but I'm sitting this generation out sans a retina display. I also think they could have done better than the dual-core A5 in this generation for gaming.
Texark

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's nice to see the iPad mini sporting a set of stereo speakers. That probably bodes well for the iPad 5 getting them as well.
devo
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw one tonight at Best Buy. I went to look at the new 4G iPad, but came away thinking the iPad mini might be a better fit. It's really thin and sexy. Not to mention light as a feather. I'm just a little hesitant because you just know one is coming out with a retina. Heck, I would have bought one tonight with a retina display. It's kinda a shame they just didn't go balls out with this generation. It's a nice device and form factor.
Bandit Bill
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 12:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

devo wrote:
I saw one tonight at Best Buy. I went to look at the new 4G iPad, but came away thinking the iPad mini might be a better fit. It's really thin and sexy. Not to mention light as a feather. I'm just a little hesitant because you just know one is coming out with a retina. Heck, I would have bought one tonight with a retina display. It's kinda a shame they just didn't go balls out with this generation. It's a nice device and form factor.

Typical Apple fashion. Apple always pulls crap like this. Look at the camera Apple put in the iPad 2. Also, If Apple could put a better processor in the iPhone 5 they certainly could have put it in the iPad mini as well.

I don't blame you for not pulling the trigger. It's hard to accept, when you know it "could/should" have an A6 (likely A6X) and a Retina display. The processor isn't as big of a deal, but the display is something you interact with every time you use the device.

That being said, I'm sure most people will really enjoy their iPad minis.

Too bad they didn't go for a $399 price point with Retina and an A6X and kill off the iPad 2.
blazer
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 3:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bandit Bill wrote:
The processor isn't as big of a deal, but the display is something you interact with every time you use the device.

Well said. It should really be the major selling point with tablets. So based on that, I think the 1st generation iPad mini is a pass. Even though they will probably sell like gangbusters. Plus, the technology exists and Apple is pushing it hard in other devices. Why should we settle for anything less?
2.5GHz Core i5 Mac mini (2011)
24" Dell LCD & 42" Sharp TV
EyeTV 250 Plus
1G, 2G, 3G, 4G and 5G iPod nanos
16GB 3G iPhone
devo
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 11:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bandit Bill wrote:
Too bad they didn't go for a $399 price point with Retina and an A6X and kill off the iPad 2.

You can grab a refurbished iPad 3 here in the US for $379. I just might go that route instead.
Bandit Bill
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 1:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

devo wrote:
Bandit Bill wrote:

You can grab a refurbished iPad 3 here in the US for $379. I just might go that route instead.

The price isn't my buying concern. I was referring to Apple selling concerns. Apple offers an iPad at $329, $399, $429, $459, $499 , $529, $559, $599, $629, $659, $699, $729, $829. Obviously they are covering every price point.

I'd rather see Apple deliver the products people want and then price accordingly, rather than coming up with a price point and then scaling back the features to make X amount of profit at that price point. I hate it when companies do that. It the biggest thing I dislike about Apple. I could list dozens of examples.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: