123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Install path for Windows 8

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Alternative Operating Systems
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pistol H

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2012 2:36 am    Post subject: Install path for Windows 8 Reply with quote

First post here!

Does Boot Camp fully support Windows 8?

If so, what's the best way to install the $40 download onto this partition? Do I need to install Windows XP or Windows 7 first? Looking for help with the best path.
ez061111
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2012 3:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome first post!

Great place to start for Boot Camp is: http://www.apple.com/support/bootcamp/

It won't answer many of your questions but it's currently the official line. Win 8 isn't fully accepted, Win 7 is. I would guess Win 8 will be a bit of time. A few other sites will probably be more helpful for those not waiting for Apple blessing. Google is your friend.
3.5GHz 6C MP, D700s
macmanmacman
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2012 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

windows 8 does work the download most likely will come on a dvd iso or a exe where you have to install windows 7 to upgrade to windows 8

but be farwarned

you have to manually install the drivers to do so you have to burn a driver install image from bootcamp manager and go into the drivers folder and manually run each driver in that folder the windows 7 drivers work the issue is you have a major problem

the start-up icon for control panel which allows to choose mac os x and windows as the start-up drive doesnt work in windows you need to hold option on startup when you first power on the machine then select the hard drive icon for mac os x

untill they update drivers this is all you can do
saul

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 1:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Install path for Windows 8 Reply with quote

Pistol H wrote:
First post here!

Does Boot Camp fully support Windows 8?

If so, what's the best way to install the $40 download onto this partition? Do I need to install Windows XP or Windows 7 first? Looking for help with the best path.

You need XP or W7 first to be able to get the $40 upgraded as you have to do it from the machine that you want to upgrade. It does not need to be activated so a "demo" W7 works.

Just did it on mine yesterday. Installed a fresh W7 then Bootcamp utilities. Went through Microsoft's upgrade site telling it to migrate programs and settings. A couple hours later I had W8. Only issue so far is that Bluetooth didn't load in W7 and still not in W8.

Site is http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows/buy which downloads a Windows .EXE file to kick off the process.
Pistol H

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank so much for the replies!

I'm going to follow that path Saul. I'm surprised to hear that Bluetooth doesn't work though. I mean, dating back to Windows 7. Did Apple just give up on the Boot Camp drivers or something? It really doesn't seem like they are that interested in promoting or updating anymore.
ez061111
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They have continued to update over time and would offer a guess that they will update for Win 8 when they see fit. Bluetooth is supported in Win 7 Boot Camp, I use it often.
3.5GHz 6C MP, D700s
Pistol H

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, that's good to hear about Bluetooth ez061111.

Do you know where I can find the latest drivers I need to burn to disc for Windows 7 64-bit?

To be honest, I'm a little confused by this downloads page.

http://support.apple.com/downloads/#bootcamp
ez061111
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 12:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The drivers are from Apple. You can find them on your system disks or the Apple site you linked to. What OS are you running? Machine? Follow the instructions in the Boot Camp Utility in your Utilities folder.
3.5GHz 6C MP, D700s
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Alternative Operating Systems All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: