123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

2009-2012 Mac minis Benchmarked
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews
View previous topic :: View next topic  
admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 12:04 am    Post subject: 2009-2012 Mac minis Benchmarked Reply with quote

2009-2012 Mac minis Benchmarked
Friday, October 26, 2012
Posted by: Staff

Here's a chart of our Geekbench scores for the 2009, 2010, 2011 and new 2012 Mac minis. All of our Mac minis were tested straight out of the box with their stock RAM and hard drives. And as you can see, it's been a nice and steady climb up the charts. This trend might be speeding up, too. The 2012 Mac minis are showing impressive gains over the previous generation. In fact, the Core i7-based models posted scores of almost 11000. Now, is that awesome, or what?

http://www.123macmini.com/news/story/1915.html

Last edited by admin on Fri Oct 26, 2012 1:51 am; edited 1 time in total
mdgm

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 1:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice! So a nice incremental improvement over my 2011 Mini Server, but a big jump over my two 09 Minis, one of which the 2.0Ghz Early 09 isn't even on the charts!

Still think it might be worth extending the life of my 09 Minis by upgrading them from 4GB to 8GB of RAM and putting in a SSD.
2011 Mini Server
NAS - 10 x ReadyNAS units
OGN
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 1:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm really impressed with the new minis. My friend just got the server model and upgraded it with a SSD and 16GB. He's almost getting 12000 with GB. That's close to recent Mac Pro and Xserve numbers.
2 x 20" Apple Cinemas
http://www.hawaiimacnuts.org
Bandit Bill
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mdgm wrote:
Still think it might be worth extending the life of my 09 Minis by upgrading them from 4GB to 8GB of RAM and putting in a SSD.

You will find this to become a common trend as SSDs continue to come down in price.

Not everything we do is processor intensive. Putting a couple hundred into an SSD and RAM upgrade, can add a few more years of life to an aging system. In day to day use an older computer with an SSD can perform better than a new computer with a mechanical drive.

I've put a $600 SSD into a clients 17" MBPs and this makes perfect sense. They don't make them any more, they were $2499 6 months ago... etc.

That being said, the new minis sure have respectable benchmark scores. I'd consider getting a new mini with a SSD or fusion drive before putting money into an old mini, unless you know your needs will remain the same/basic for a few more years, or... you plan on taking the SSD out of the mini and putting it in a new one down the road.
mdgm

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 09 Minis aren't my primary machines so if Apple decides to leave them stranded on Mountain Lion they'll still be O.K. for a while yet. Makes a lot more sense to try to extend their lives than replace them with new machines.
2011 Mini Server
NAS - 10 x ReadyNAS units
Ray Finkle

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bandit Bill wrote:
mdgm wrote:

You will find this to become a common trend as SSDs continue to come down in price.

Not everything we do is processor intensive. Putting a couple hundred into an SSD and RAM upgrade, can add a few more years of life to an aging system. In day to day use an older computer with an SSD can perform better than a new computer with a mechanical drive.

I've put a $600 SSD into a clients 17" MBPs and this makes perfect sense. They don't make them any more, they were $2499 6 months ago... etc.

That being said, the new minis sure have respectable benchmark scores. I'd consider getting a new mini with a SSD or fusion drive before putting money into an old mini, unless you know your needs will remain the same/basic for a few more years, or... you plan on taking the SSD out of the mini and putting it in a new one down the road.

I got an early 09 mini 2.0 cpu with 8 gigs and a raptor hardrive. I wonder how my older nvidia GPU fairs to the newer ones? Lets say I go for a new model with the 2.6 i7 chip and a stock slow hardrive will this still beat my mini in most normal tasks? Like iphoto takes a long time to open even with a faster hardrive. I'm considering if I upgrade to go with the fusion drive, but the more I think on it I am not sure to go with the stock one and upgrade later on. I just hate moving all my stuff over from one mini to another each time I upgrade. If the GPU is much better than mine I am pretty sure I am getting one. I just got to the point where my machine is pretty descent with mountain lion. Seems smooth for once since a very long time. I dont' even dare upgrade it if if new updates come out soon.
Bandit Bill
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ray Finkle wrote:
Bandit Bill wrote:
mdgm wrote:

I got an early 09 mini 2.0 cpu with 8 gigs and a raptor hardrive. I wonder how my older nvidia GPU fairs to the newer ones? Lets say I go for a new model with the 2.6 i7 chip and a stock slow hardrive will this still beat my mini in most normal tasks? Like iphoto takes a long time to open even with a faster hardrive. I'm considering if I upgrade to go with the fusion drive, but the more I think on it I am not sure to go with the stock one and upgrade later on. I just hate moving all my stuff over from one mini to another each time I upgrade. If the GPU is much better than mine I am pretty sure I am getting one. I just got to the point where my machine is pretty descent with mountain lion. Seems smooth for once since a very long time. I dont' even dare upgrade it if if new updates come out soon.

You can use this site to look up the benchmarks (including video) on your machine vs. the new.

http://www.videocardbenchmark.net/gpu_list.php

The new machine will outperform yours substantially. It would spank it. That being said if you had a new one with a 5400 RPM drive it would take longer to open iPhoto. Don't upgrade unless you plan on upgrading the drive.

Put it this way SSD/fusion drives are 3.5 to 4X faster than mechanical drives. Processor are 4X as fast as what you have and graphics cards/chips are about 4X as fast as well.
Ray Finkle

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bandit Bill wrote:
Ray Finkle wrote:
Bandit Bill wrote:
mdgm wrote:

You can use this site to look up the benchmarks (including video) on your machine vs. the new.

http://www.videocardbenchmark.net/gpu_list.php

The new machine will outperform yours substantially. It would spank it. That being said if you had a new one with a 5400 RPM drive it would take longer to open iPhoto. Don't upgrade unless you plan on upgrading the drive.

Put it this way SSD/fusion drives are 3.5 to 4X faster than mechanical drives. Processor are 4X as fast as what you have and graphics cards/chips are about 4X as fast as well.

Thanks Bill much appreciated info. I am still a little worried about the fusion drive mechanical side being 5400 RPM and if that would hurt iPhoto a little. Still seems like a really nice upgrade for me. Time to start saving the pennies.
Bandit Bill
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2012 12:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ray Finkle wrote:
I am still a little worried about the fusion drive mechanical side being 5400 RPM and if that would hurt iPhoto a little. Still seems like a really nice upgrade for me. Time to start saving the pennies.

I wouldn't worry.

Have you researched the fusion drive yet? If you never accessed your photos they may take longer to load but if you access them periodically, they will load almost as fast as a dedicated SSD drive.

Thumbnail images are what load when you open iPhoto.

A dedicated SSD drive is the best, so you will have to balance performance/price/size.

I'm sure quite a few people on this forum will opt for the mechanical drive and then put in their own SSD drive. Typically the SSDs on the market are faster than the ones Apple offers as well.
Ray Finkle

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2012 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bandit Bill wrote:
Ray Finkle wrote:
I am still a little worried about the fusion drive mechanical side being 5400 RPM and if that would hurt iPhoto a little. Still seems like a really nice upgrade for me. Time to start saving the pennies.

I wouldn't worry.

Have you researched the fusion drive yet? If you never accessed your photos they may take longer to load but if you access them periodically, they will load almost as fast as a dedicated SSD drive.

Thumbnail images are what load when you open iPhoto.

A dedicated SSD drive is the best, so you will have to balance performance/price/size.

I'm sure quite a few people on this forum will opt for the mechanical drive and then put in their own SSD drive. Typically the SSDs on the market are faster than the ones Apple offers as well.

Just a little I am tempted to upgrade later. But I may want to see better results right off the bat so I may go fusion drive. Or just put in another raptor drive there are a lot of options. A lot of juggling files unless I do it right from the get go so that fusion drive is really sounding good at the moment. I am gonna price the stuff first and see what kind of space I need.
curt
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2012 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Geekbench numbers for the i7s are looking solid!

I've decided buy an i7 Mac mini now, but I can't decide on the Fusion drive either. I'm sort of leaning towards getting a dual hard drive kit and putting a SSD in there myself. It can be done basically for about the same amount of money as the Fusion upgrade. I can get a Samsung 830 series SSD for around $170 and the kit for $45 from OWC. It also gives you two times the amount of SSD storage.
ddanckaert

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 3:39 am    Post subject: Geekbench Mac Mini Score of 13,064 Reply with quote

Geekbench Mac Mini Score of 13,064
http://browser.primatelabs.com/geekbench2/1226541

Video taken at about the same time with a slightly lower score.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pW-MWvE6HxE

I just got my new Mac Mini Server 2012 this evening (Halloween) and I took this quick video with my iPhone (view in HD to read the text more easily).

The Mac Mini comes with 2 x 256 SSD (SM256E) from Apple and 16GB of 1600 MHz DD3 RAM from OWC.

I formatted the SSDs, put them into a RAID 0 configuration, and installed Mountain Lion Server. Updated to 10.8.2 and then took this video.
g5g5
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 10:33 am    Post subject: Re: Geekbench Mac Mini Score of 13,064 Reply with quote

ddanckaert wrote:
Geekbench Mac Mini Score of 13,064
http://browser.primatelabs.com/geekbench2/1226541

Holy cow! Shocked

I really want one of these new models.
iLife's a Bitch!
blazer
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, that's an impressive score man.

Has anyone seen a score of the new i7 Mac mini with a Fusion Drive? I don't think that I've seen anywhere yet.
2.5GHz Core i5 Mac mini (2011)
24" Dell LCD & 42" Sharp TV
EyeTV 250 Plus
1G, 2G, 3G, 4G and 5G iPod nanos
16GB 3G iPhone
Smithcraft
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where's Philip? I'd love to see his experience with the new minis!

SC

[Desktop] Intel mini - 2.16Ghz 2GB 60GB HDD - Newer miniStack v2 500GB - 10.5.8

[Media System] Intel i5 mini - 2.33Ghz 8GB 500GB HDD - 4 x Hitachi 2TB HDD in a qBOX-SF - 10.7.5 (Thanks Phil!)

Make sure it has pins!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: