123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Apple Updates Mac mini
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rightondamark

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@Ray Finkle

I would still go with the Mac mini over the iMac. You can't even upgrade or replace the RAM in the new 21" iMac. It also uses the same 5400rpm hard drive now, so there's no benefit that way. And it costs $100 more than before. And you're always tied to that display for better or worse. I say if you're wanting an iMac, at least wait for the retina display. Which is something unique and useful that brings more value to the table.
Ray Finkle

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rightondamark wrote:
@Ray Finkle

I would still go with the Mac mini over the iMac. You can't even upgrade or replace the RAM in the new 21" iMac. It also uses the same 5400rpm hard drive now, so there's no benefit that way. And it costs $100 more than before. And you're always tied to that display for better or worse. I say if you're wanting an iMac, at least wait for the retina display. Which is something unique and useful that brings more value to the table.

Thanks for the tip the retina display did cross my mind earlier. I still do like my monitor its seems like a timeless design to me. It may not be as nice as the new imacs spec wise, but its still nice.
Badger

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm so happy they finally released new minis. I ordered the $799 Mac mini with a Fusion drive. I wasn't planning on the latter part, but I think it's going to give the mini a nice boost in performance. Plus, I don't have to mess with upgrading the stock hard drive to a SSD. Which was something I was considering doing at some point.
Ray Finkle

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Badger wrote:
I'm so happy they finally released new minis. I ordered the $799 Mac mini with a Fusion drive. I wasn't planning on the latter part, but I think it's going to give the mini a nice boost in performance. Plus, I don't have to mess with upgrading the stock hard drive to a SSD. Which was something I was considering doing at some point.

I think that's what I am gonna do. Now I just have to figure out how to get all my photos, music and wireless setting to the new mac.
RTL44

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Texark wrote:
$300 for 16GB of RAM? Please do this simple upgrade on your own gang. It's crazy expensive from Apple. You can buy it elsewhere for at least $200 less. It's a nice update otherwise. I would love having USB 3.0 as an option in my current setup.

How about $88?

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=3526879&CatId=3473

Very Happy
marv777
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 10:36 pm    Post subject: Fusion drive Reply with quote

Badger wrote:
Good luck a smart decision. You have the best of both worlds now.SSD are still expensive also.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: