123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Apple Updates Mac mini
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews
View previous topic :: View next topic  
admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 12:53 pm    Post subject: Apple Updates Mac mini Reply with quote

Apple Updates Mac mini
Tuesday, October 23, 2012
Posted by: Staff

Apple today updated the Mac mini with third generation dual-core Intel Core i5 and quad-core Intel Core i7 processors that are up to twice as fast and have integrated graphics that are up to 65 percent faster. The new Mac mini also comes standard with 4GB of 1600 MHz memory with support for up to 16GB, and includes four USB 3.0 ports in addition to its Thunderbolt, HDMI, SDXC, Gigabit Ethernet, and FireWire 800 ports.

The new Mac mini is available with a 2.5 GHz dual-core Intel Core i5 with Turbo Boost speeds up to 3.1 GHz, 4GB of memory and a 500GB hard drive for a suggested retail price of $599; a 2.3 GHz quad-core Intel Core i7 with Turbo Boost speeds up to 3.3 GHz, 4GB of memory and a 1TB hard drive for a suggested retail price of $799; and a 2.3 GHz quad-core Intel Core i7 with Turbo Boost speeds up to 3.3 GHz, OS X Server, 4GB of memory and two 1TB hard drives for a suggested retail price of $999.

http://www.123macmini.com/news/story/1904.html

Last edited by admin on Tue Oct 23, 2012 1:16 pm; edited 2 times in total
Grasshopper

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sweet! Can't wait to get one.
24" HP LCD
Apple wireless keyboard and Magic Mouse
2 x 1TB MiniStacks
1TB MiniStack Max
Bandit Bill
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice upgrade. Especially the quad core and base model.

I know people will complain about no model with a dedicated graphics chipset, but with quad core and Intel 4000 graphics, I think it's a non issue. The benchmarks (including graphics) should be impressive.
barbeeq

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I ordered the base model. It has all of the desired upgrades I was waiting for.
g5g5
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice update. I wish they had retained dedicated graphics in the upper Mac mini, but I'm thinking the Intel 4000 graphics with a quad-core i7 should be more than adequate for most people.
iLife's a Bitch!
epic_ed

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like how everyone always complains about the integrated graphics, but they are the same graphics used in the MacBook Air and MacBoo Pro. Rolling Eyes

I would love to have one of these new Mac minis. In fact, I might be a buyer after the holidays.
scooper
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would like to have one, but I'm not in the market for a new Mac. Having USB 3.0 should be nice for new buyers though. Thunderbolt never really panned out in my book. So this will give you the next best thing in performance for external drives.
Texark

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

$300 for 16GB of RAM? Please do this simple upgrade on your own gang. It's crazy expensive from Apple. You can buy it elsewhere for at least $200 less. It's a nice update otherwise. I would love having USB 3.0 as an option in my current setup.
Bandit Bill
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The benchmark score for the Intel 4000 is 523 vs. Intel Radeon HD 6330M @ 271. Therefore we are looking at about double the performance of the discrete graphics chipset. Not to mention, quad core, 1600MHz bus speed, USB 3 etc. for the same price.

The middle level model is now much more attractive upgrade and the base model is great value for those who don't need a little powerhouse (the 4GB of RAM being the most welcomed update).
Dinshaw

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I ordered the Core i7-based Mac mini for $799. I almost added the Fusion Drive for another $250, but it brought the total cost up over $1000. I'm going to put that money into adding more memory instead.
Squid3660

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are we all sure the RAM is user upgradeable in this new Mini? I'm thinking along the lines of what they did with the MBA and having the RAM soldered in place.

I'm on the fence about which new MM to get. I'm really stoked about this update. This is the Mini lineup I've been waiting for. The thing that keeps stopping me in my tracks at the online checkout is the 1TB 5400 RPM drives compared to the SSD offerings. I just dont know. I'm so used to the SSD awesomeness in my MBA. If everything is USB 3.0 now... I guess I may as well take the SSD plunge with the new MM. SIGH. Speed speed speed. I keep thinking I will ruin the whole experience if I go with a clunky spinning hard drive. Ahhh.... Decisions decisions.

Well... I've heard it said in the past, go with the fastest processor available... so, looks like I am going to get the midrange model with 2.6Ghz i7, 4GB of RAM and 256G SSD.

Hopefully OWC releases the Ministack Max soon, so I can get some larger storage. Might as well buy a 16GB RAM kit while I am there too (If the RAM is actually user upgradeable in these new minis). Hello OWC... I know you are reading this! I am ready to buy the Ministack Max NOW!!! $$$ I'm throwing money at you!!!! Why won't you take my money!?!?! Smile

Hint to OWC and NewerTech... today would be a really really good launch day for the Ministack Max. Just saying. Wink

I'm not making any buying decision tonight though. Gotta think about this some more. But am definitely getting a 2012 mini. Just gotta make a smart configuration.

Dumb question, but have to ask... Is a 2.3Ghz quad core i5 in these new minis going to be slower, equal to, or faster than the Ivy Bridge 2.0Ghz Core i7 in my 2012 MBA?
Bandit Bill
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Squid3660 wrote:
Are we all sure the RAM is user upgradeable in this new Mini?

The Keynote showed the inside of the mini. It clearly had user upgradable RAM.

Tech specs also indicated 2 memory modules.

http://store.apple.com/us/browse/home/shop_mac/family/mac_mini
blazer
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Expanding on the memory question.

Quote:
Mac mini comes with 4GB of fast 1600MHz DDR3 memory. And thanks to a removable bottom panel, itís easy to add more. Just give it a twist, and youíre in. Pop your new memory into the SO-DIMM slot, and youíre out.

http://www.apple.com/mac-mini/features.html#memory

I think this was an excellent update for the Mac mini. In fact, it's just an optical drive away from being perfect. Wink

All kidding aside, I plan on buying one soon. I'm sure as sh*t not waiting around for Haswell.
2.5GHz Core i5 Mac mini (2011)
24" Dell LCD & 42" Sharp TV
EyeTV 250 Plus
1G, 2G, 3G, 4G and 5G iPod nanos
16GB 3G iPhone
devo
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats to all that waited or are in need of a new Mac! The Mac mini truly is a great little system. It's nice to see it upgraded and get some attention for a change. Having USB 3 and one of those new Fusion drives wouldn't be shabby either.
Ray Finkle

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm considering upgrading. Not sure to go with a new mini or imac. Love the minis though I have no experience with imacs. I was thinking of going bottom line with the iMac, or go mid level mini up the cpu to the 2.6 i7 and add fusion drive. I currently haven an older 20 inch apple cinema display. Any thoughts cons or pros?

I like the new look of the imac but more so the 27 inch which is way out of my price range. Just looks better aesthetically. If they brought the chin up a little on the 20 inch it would look much better.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: