123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

New Mini Announced
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Mini
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gerald1

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 12:31 pm    Post subject: New Mini Announced Reply with quote

The server model, 2.3GHz Core i7 with 4GB of RAM and dual 1TB HDDs for $999, or 2.5GHz spec with 4GB of RAM and 500GB HDD for $599.
Four USB 3.0 ports, SD card reader, HDMI... and now we're looking inside. Core i5 or i7 ivy Bridge chips, up to 16GB of RAM and up to 1TB HDD or 256GB of SSD.

A little more information now:
- $599, 2.5 GHz Dual-Core Intel Core i5, 4GB RAM, 500GB HD
- $799, 2.3 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7, 4GB RAM, 1TB HD
- $999, 2.3 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7, 4GB RAM, 2TB HD, Includes Mountain Lion Server

Last edited by Gerald1 on Tue Oct 23, 2012 4:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
infinitespecter

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 1:50 pm    Post subject: Re: New Mini Announced Reply with quote

Most importantly, to me anyway, is that they got rid of discrete graphics as an option. Every machine ships with Intel HD4000 graphics now. I was all prepared to order a new machine on the spot, but I ended up ordering a refurb with the Radeon instead.
g5g5
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 2:01 pm    Post subject: Re: New Mini Announced Reply with quote

infinitespecter wrote:
Most importantly, to me anyway, is that they got rid of discrete graphics as an option. Every machine ships with Intel HD4000 graphics now. I was all prepared to order a new machine on the spot, but I ended up ordering a refurb with the Radeon instead.

That's a pretty awesome deal at $549. I'm still thinking that I would rather have the quad-core i7 and USB 3.0 though.
iLife's a Bitch!
Ben Tex
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Intel HD Graphics 4000 wouldn't be a deal breaker for me either.
b0bb

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 2:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I held off getting my 4th Mini for today's announcement to see if Apple improved on the existing Sandybridge Minis. Ivy Bridge is about 10% faster on my file server (ZFS, PVR, Video transcode), I could not feel any difference on the desktop.

I have 2 Intel Minis and a Macbook with Intel video, I am not repeating the experience.

I just placed an order for a new 2.7G i7 Sandybridge Mini with the Radeon from B&H Photovideo as they were giving a free copy of Parallels 8.
Bandit Bill
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 2:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

b0bb wrote:
I held off getting my 4th Mini for today's announcement to see if Apple improved on the existing Sandybridge Minis. Ivy Bridge is about 10% faster on my file server (ZFS, PVR, Video transcode), I could not feel any difference on the desktop.

I have 2 Intel Minis and a Macbook with Intel video, I am not repeating the experience.

I just placed an order for a new 2.7G i7 Sandybridge Mini with the Radeon from B&H Photovideo as they were giving a free copy of Parallels 8.

Why?

I understand that the Ivy Bridge isn't much faster as far as processing goes, but the Radeon (dedicated), has benchmarks scores much lower than the (integrated) Intel 4000?
b0bb

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 3:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bandit Bill wrote:

Why?

I understand that the Ivy Bridge isn't much faster as far as processing goes, but the Radeon (dedicated), has benchmarks scores much lower than the (integrated) Intel 4000?

The synthetic benchmarks put the two about the same level of performance. Intel 560, Radeon 572
http://www.videocardbenchmark.net/video_lookup.php?gpu=Intel+HD+4000

One of the ways Intel tried to speed up GPU performance was to run shaders out of the cache, this means the GPU and CPU not only compete from memory bandwidth but also high speed access to the cache as well, this starves the CPU and was why the HD3000 was so bad, HD 4000 has some incremental fixes

On top of that the Intel stuff have issues with getting hardware acceleration with XBMC as I found out to my cost.
marv777
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 5:49 am    Post subject: Intel Reply with quote

Ben Tex wrote:
Is there a real big difference from what I own now the 3000 HD graphics to the 4000. I am not a big gamer at all.Thanks I own the 2011 model with 2.3 and Sandy Bridge.
Badger

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 9:40 am    Post subject: Re: Intel Reply with quote

marv777 wrote:
Ben Tex wrote:
Is there a real big difference from what I own now the 3000 HD graphics to the 4000. I am not a big gamer at all.Thanks I own the 2011 model with 2.3 and Sandy Bridge.

If you boot into Windows, you'll have support for DirectX 11. On the Mac side, you'll see anywhere from about a 30% to 50% increase in performance. At least in most of the gaming benchmarks that I've seen around. You can actually get pretty respectable frame per second rates with the 4000. It also does better with heat dissipation and battery consumption. The latter doesn't matter in the case of the Mac mini, but it's always nice having better thermals within your system. Hope that helps some.
Grover Time

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wish they were offering the Fusion Drive in the entry-level Mac mini. Sad
DigitalKnight

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 9:01 pm    Post subject: Highest Rez the Mini will support Reply with quote

So what is the highest resolution monitor that the mac mini will support? and what about dual monitors?

Thx,

-DK
marv777
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 10:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Intel Reply with quote

Badger wrote:
marv777 wrote:
Ben Tex wrote:

If you boot into Windows, you'll have support for DirectX 11. On the Mac side, you'll see anywhere from about a 30% to 50% increase in performance. At least in most of the gaming benchmarks that I've seen around. You can actually get pretty respectable frame per second rates with the 4000. It also does better with heat dissipation and battery consumption. The latter doesn't matter in the case of the Mac mini, but it's always nice having better thermals within your system. Hope that helps some.
Thanks I really never has a problem with heat in my mac Mini.I never used Windows at all.is this Ivy Bridge much faster?
Grasshopper

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 10:20 am    Post subject: Re: Highest Rez the Mini will support Reply with quote

DigitalKnight wrote:
So what is the highest resolution monitor that the mac mini will support? and what about dual monitors?

Thx,

-DK

Thunderbolt supports max 2560 x 1600 with two displays.

HDMI supports max 1920 x 1200.
24" HP LCD
Apple wireless keyboard and Magic Mouse
2 x 1TB MiniStacks
1TB MiniStack Max
ed-hawco

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 10:22 am    Post subject: Chassis? Reply with quote

Can anyone here confirm that the chassis for the new Mac Mini is essentially the same as the previous one? I want to upgrade the storage myself, and I plan to use a few of the online videos as a guide. But if they've moved things around, or if there's no longer room for two HDD/SSD devices, then I'm in trouble.

Is it the same?
Ed Hawco | www.blork.org
DigitalKnight

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 5:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Highest Rez the Mini will support Reply with quote

Grasshopper wrote:
DigitalKnight wrote:

Thx,

-DK

Thunderbolt supports max 2560 x 1600 with two displays.

HDMI supports max 1920 x 1200.

Thx Grasshopper,

So I should be able to pickup a new Mac Mini and a new 27" Achieva Shimian QH270 or YAMAKASI CATLEAP Q270 (not sure which is better) and then I need a special cable? Not sure which cable as there are to many out there on flee bay... I think I need a mDP to DL DVI adapter? Now if my second monitor is just a 19" DVI can I just use an HDMI to DVI cable from the mac mini to my smaller secondary monitor?

I currently use a 2009 21.5" iMac with a mini-port to DVI to my 19" monitor for just displaying the email and itunes windows and the main mac monitor for my por.... I mean graphic designs... yea that is... but I want to go to a mac mini with more power.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Mini All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: