123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Who's the most exciting company in Tech?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Member Polls
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Who's the most exciting company in Tech 2012?
Apple
48%
 48%  [ 12 ]
Amazon
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Google
16%
 16%  [ 4 ]
Facebook
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Microsoft
12%
 12%  [ 3 ]
Samsung
12%
 12%  [ 3 ]
HP
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Other
12%
 12%  [ 3 ]
Total Votes : 25

devo
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2012 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can I vote for Home Depot or Lowes? They are like the only ones getting my money these days. Wink

Apple is still the most "exciting" tech company in my book. Not that I agree with all of their moves or guarded ecosystem. It's just that their events, products, and future excite me the most. Google would get my second place vote. I really like Android a lot on my Samsung G SII. I broke my iPhone and replaced it with the G SII about 9 months ago. The screen is killer as well. I'm not sure that I could ever go back to the iPhone's smaller screen. So, I'm always interested in news about Google and Android too.
dungeon92
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm leaning toward ASUS.

"When history is forgotten people don't realize when it repeats."

Going to Missouri S&T!!
Smithcraft
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 11:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bandit Bill wrote:
Smithcraft wrote:
What keeps me from being excited about Apple is their Walled Garden approach.

Imagine if you will, how would people feel, if when buying a Sony radio, they could only listen to music sold by Sony?

While Apple isn't that restrictive, I feel that's the way they want to go. Apple wants to completely control the distribution of software and media for it's devices. Until that ends, Apple won't be exciting for me.

SC

As you know, for those who truly need or want more, it only takes minutes to jailbreak iOS devices. All OS X devices can run Windows. Seasoned users can run Terminal, view hidden files etc.

I've personally never felt restricted by owning Apple products, I feel like I can do more. I get to do everything "within the walled garden" AND I can stray outside if I wish.

To have one company that can offer me (and support) an entire network of safe and secure hardware that communicate effectively with one another along with access to safe and secure software is awesome.

Some people don't agree with the model, but most people like it. This is the key to Apple's success. People want the whole package, they only want to deal with one company when it comes to issues, billing, support etc. I see it every day in retail. Even with services people prefer to deal with one company ie. phone, internet, television, the only time they stray is if the company screws them around. Apple tends to work hard to keep the relationship going.

If the walled garden excites you, then rock on! It does not excite me. I've jumped through Apples hoops for too long to think that anything Apple does will stick around, or not be changed completely making those not current left out. To me, this is one of the bad things about Apples change in business method.

Personally, I don't like to keep all my eggs in one basket, since I'm not a fan of monopolies.

SC

[Desktop] Intel mini - 2.16Ghz 2GB 60GB HDD - Newer miniStack v2 500GB - 10.5.8

[Media System] Intel i5 mini - 2.33Ghz 8GB 500GB HDD - 4 x Hitachi 2TB HDD in a qBOX-SF - 10.7.5 (Thanks Phil!)

Make sure it has pins!
curt
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bandit Bill wrote:
I'm going to pick an oddball company that makes Apple accessories.
www.twelvesouth.com

Everything they make is very innovative, original and well made. Truly a cool company.

That's funny. I was just looking at their Magic Wand thingy last week for tying together my Apple Keyboard and Magic Trackpad. I haven't made up my mind yet on the thing, but they really do have some unique products.

My vote for the most exciting company in technology goes to Apple. It hasn't been a blockbuster this year, but they have already released some pretty exciting products. I also think they will end the year very strong with Mountain Lion, iOS 6 and a new iPhone. And there's probably going to be one or two more cool things in there. Perhaps a smaller iPad and TV set. You know those would create a lot of excitement in the marketplace.
ESUNintel

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 5:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm an Apple person, but went with Microsoft because...
-New improvements in software: Windows 8, Office 2013, SharePoint 2013, and Visual Studio 2012 are all pretty cool
-Slate: it's pretty cool that they'll be creating their own hardware, and the keyboard cover looks nice
-Windows Phone 8: Touchy topic, but aside from iOS, I think it's the only different and innovative mobile OS
-Xbox: I own a PS3, but wish I had a 360; at this point I'm just going to wait until the next waive of systems

I remember the days when RIM would have been on such a list Smile
Grasshopper

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ESUNintel wrote:
I remember the days when RIM would have been on such a list Smile

I have never seen a company fall apart like RIM. Even the new OS 10 looks like a disaster. I wouldn't be surprised to see them gone in five years.

Yeah, I think Microsoft is on a huge comeback. I mean, you could probably add their web services to that list as well. Skydive and Outlook.com are awesome.
24" HP LCD
Apple wireless keyboard and Magic Mouse
2 x 1TB MiniStacks
1TB MiniStack Max
marv777
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 9:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Who's the most exciting company in Tech? Reply with quote

scooper wrote:
I was just wondering who you guys thought was the most exciting company in tech these days? I'm sort of leaning towards Google at the moment. Apple probably a strong second and Microsoft third (the dinosaur actually appears to be waking up). Then others like Samsung, Facebook and Amazon probably round out the field. Well, at least in my book.
Apple is first and Samsung second in my opinion.Facebook never.
ghostdawg
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess Google is doing some very nice & newer things in the tech area. Android although there are others, such as Samsung, working with android devices.
devo
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ghostdawg wrote:
I guess Google is doing some very nice & newer things in the tech area. Android although there are others, such as Samsung, working with android devices.

They just came out with a pretty cool little laptop today for $250. It's only a Chromebook, but still. The build quality sounds good and it even has a matte display. My wife is thinking about making it our daughter's first laptop for Christmas.

http://www.engadget.com/2012/10/18/google-11-6-inch-arm-based-samsung-chromebook-hands-on/
Bandit Bill
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

devo wrote:
ghostdawg wrote:

They just came out with a pretty cool little laptop today for $250. It's only a Chromebook, but still. The build quality sounds good and it even has a matte display. My wife is thinking about making it our daughter's first laptop for Christmas.

http://www.engadget.com/2012/10/18/google-11-6-inch-arm-based-samsung-chromebook-hands-on/

I didn't look at the spec, but the physical look is awesome for $250. It looks real good.
marv777
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 10:22 pm    Post subject: Apple Reply with quote

devo wrote:
Can I vote for Home Depot or Lowes? They are like the only ones getting my money these days. Wink

Apple is still the most "exciting" tech company in my book. Not that I agree with all of their moves or guarded ecosystem. It's just that their events, products, and future excite me the most. Google would get my second place vote. I really like Android a lot on my Samsung G SII. I broke my iPhone and replaced it with the G SII about 9 months ago. The screen is killer as well. I'm not sure that I could ever go back to the iPhone's smaller screen. So, I'm always interested in news about Google and Android too.
Samsung has a lot of new innovations especially with TV and mobile phones.They are the biggest in Asia I believe now.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Member Polls All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: