123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Fifth-Generation iPod Touch Review Roundup

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews
View previous topic :: View next topic  
admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 2:03 am    Post subject: Fifth-Generation iPod Touch Review Roundup Reply with quote

Fifth-Generation iPod Touch Review Roundup
Friday, October 12, 2012
Posted by: Staff

Here's a new roundup of reviews for the fifth-generation iPod touch to round out the week. It includes reviews from Engadget, The Verge, CNET, iLounge, Laptop Magazine, PC Magazine, SlashGear and iDownloadBlog. Down below are some excerpts and links to each review. Check them out if you are interested!

Engadget "As an upgrade, the fifth-generation iPod touch hits all the right marks. It's thinner and lighter despite packing a bigger and (far) better screen. It's faster despite having better battery life, its pair of cameras are markedly better than those found in the previous touch and its new matte aluminum exterior certainly seems like it will prove rather more durable in the long-run -- though time shall tell on that front," writes Tim Stevens.

The Verge "This year's iPod touch is the best one ever, without question - Apple updated all the right things, and by giving the touch a big screen and good camera has made this mini tablet a more versatile device than ever. As a gateway drug into the iOS ecosystem, it does a great job of showing off all the iOS 6 features and apps, on a really solid piece of hardware," writes David Pierce.

CNET "The latest iPod Touch is the best iPod ever, and as close to a phoneless iPhone 5 as you can get -- but its high price makes it a tough call versus cheaper tablets with larger screens," writes Scott Stein.

iLounge "All of this is to say that the fifth-generation iPod touch is a good rather than great product - worthy of our B+ rating largely on the strength of its much-improved screen and cameras, but disappointing in pricing and storage capacity. Although it comes closer than ever before to the current flagship iPhone, the $299 starting price just seems unrealistic for the features Apple is offering compared with the latest crop of small tablets," writes Jeremy Horwitz.

Laptop Magazine "If you're wondering whether the new iPod touch is a good nonphone alternative to the iPhone 5, the answer is yes. The iPod touch offers the same crisp display as the iPhone 5 in a lighter and more colorful design. Plus, you get fast performance for playing the latest games and an iSight camera that can easily double as your point-and-shoot," writes Daniel Berg.

PC Magazine "It's cheerful, colorful and versatile, and though it technically has competition, Apple's iPod touch still stands alone. While we still classify it as an MP3 player, the fully redesigned iPod touch is more like a smartphone without the phone, bringing more than 700,000 iOS apps along with iTunes, iBooks, and the rest of the Apple ecosystem to folks who don't want to pay full iPhone freight. This year's touch is a significant upgrade: It's faster, with a much better screen, a new camera, better headphones, and a new body design to die for," writes Sascha Segan.

SlashGear - "Apple's 5th Gen iPod touch has landed, and it marks quite a departure for the touchscreen media player. What once was described as a phoneless-iPhone has evolved into a device with a distinct focus of its own, building on the gaming prowess of its predecessor and adding in a capable digital camera to this latest generation," writes Vincent Nguyen.

iDownloadBlog - "I wholeheartedly recommend the new iPod touch. It's a very unassuming device, especially when looking at it resting in its retail packaging. It's easy to think that this generation's offering would be just as poor as previous ones from a build quality and usability standpoint, but that's just not the case," writes Jeff Benjamin.

Update: Down below is a new review from Macworld.

Macworld- "Price aside, whether you're in it for the apps, games, or media, this is an iPod you'll treasure. With its improved cameras, zippy performance, bright and roomy display, support for Siri, and more colorful and statuesque form, the fifth-generation iPod touch is a winner," writes Christopher Breen.

http://www.123macmini.com/news/story/1897.html

Last edited by admin on Fri Oct 12, 2012 4:40 pm; edited 1 time in total
castaway

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 4:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It probably is the best iPod touch ever, but I'm more inclined to wait for the iPad mini. Especially with an asking price of 249.00. That's even more than a 32GB Kindle Fire HD or Nexus 7 at 199.00.
Bandit Bill
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't had a chance to see a 5th gen touch in person, but I'm looking forward to it. Even the iPhone 5 is amazing light (it almost feels like a demo prop with no electronics inside). I imagine the touch will be even more amazingly light.

I've been using Facetime over 4G with the iPad and it work well. I'd love to see 4G in the touch, but that will never happen as long as the iPhone exists.

For me the iPad the only portable I use. I'm open to an iPad mini, but unless I can fit it in my pocket, I may as well carry my iPad.

This is going to be an exciting Christmas season for Apple. Lots of new goodies to choose from. The touch will be very popular, unless an iPad mini comes out.
Glenn
News Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Added a new review from Macworld at the bottom of the list.
WheelSpinners
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know how Apple is going to sell these when the iPad mini comes out. It just seems like the iPad mini will cannibalize it. I will say that it sounds like the best iPod ever though. And like Bandit Bill stated, I can't wait to see one in person.
Badger

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 12:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it needs a lower price and GPS to be more attractive.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: