123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

My new set up

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Mini HTPC
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Joseph

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2012 7:57 pm    Post subject: My new set up Reply with quote

Laughing
No special bracket used to mount the mac mini, I just removed the ram cover and drilled two small holes then used the cover as a template to drill and plug the wall (I maked up a sheet of A4 with the locking points to assist in fitting)

Joe
macmanmacman
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2012 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nice with only one issue if your machine malfunctions or needs servicing from apple you just destroyed your warrenty have fun
Bandit Bill
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2012 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your warranty isn't void just because you drilled 2 small holes in the bottom of the minis rubber base. You can even purchase a replacement part if you ever wanted to.

Some people screw Macs down to help deter theft, kids knocking them over, earthquake proofing etc. This is no different. It in no way impacts the machine. If the screws caused a short, then you'd have an issue.

I know my companies Apple authorized service centre would have no issue servicing your machine under warranty. You could bring it in without the base if you wanted to, we'd still service it.

You did however save yourself $60
http://h-sq.com/products/minimount/index.html

Your setup looks nice... very nice.
Smithcraft
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 12:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice set up!

Do you have any issues with the remote sensor being blocked, or do you use an iPod Touch/iPhone for that?

SC

[Desktop] Intel mini - 2.16Ghz 2GB 60GB HDD - Newer miniStack v2 500GB - 10.5.8

[Media System] Intel i5 mini - 2.33Ghz 8GB 500GB HDD - 4 x Hitachi 2TB HDD in a qBOX-SF - 10.7.5 (Thanks Phil!)

Make sure it has pins!
Bandit Bill
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 1:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Smithcraft wrote:
Nice set up!

Do you have any issues with the remote sensor being blocked, or do you use an iPod Touch/iPhone for that?

SC

If you do, you could put the smaller photo directly under the mini. The combination of the photo and the reflective surface of the entertainment stand will bounce the signal.

I wouldn't believe it if I hadn't tried something like this myself at work. We have an Apple TV set up in the exact same fashion. You almost have to get right under it to make it work. If I put an acrylic (plastic) price sign underneath it, it reflects the signal over 20 feet away and the girls at the cash desk can control it.
Joseph

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 7:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Smithcraft wrote:
Nice set up!

SC

Hi thanks for the interest, I don't use a remote on this system.
I use the Apple wireless key board and mouse, all good with both.

Joe
Joseph

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 7:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

macmanmacman wrote:
nice with only one issue if your machine malfunctions or needs servicing from apple you just destroyed your warrenty have fun

Hi I did check with a friend who works for Apple "how I would stand with the warranty" he stated that this mod would not alter my warranty unless the mod caused the defect claimed. Ie cracking of the back plate etc
The two holes where drilled with a 2 mil drill bit, so very small.
The load has been widely distributed by two special non conductive washers
So I should be ok, thank you for your concern.

Joe
marv777
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 10:12 pm    Post subject: Re: My new set up Reply with quote

Joseph wrote:
Laughing
No special bracket used to mount the mac mini, I just removed the ram cover and drilled two small holes then used the cover as a template to drill and plug the wall (I maked up a sheet of A4 with the locking points to assist in fitting)

Joe
What is the purpose of this anyway? Why mount the MM on the wall?
Joseph

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 8:48 am    Post subject: Re: My new set up Reply with quote

marv777 wrote:
Joseph wrote:
Laughing

Joe
What is the purpose of this anyway? Why mount the MM on the wall?

Hi the 1st thing, it looks good, plus no wires. This server has 4 USB hard drives attached to the frame the TV is on, it just keeps it neat and supply's content to the house via Plex and Apple TVs, it just works. The MM doesn't need to be on the wall.... so for me, the answer is it looks good.
Y-Guy

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got a pic of your Hard drive setup?
Joseph

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Y-Guy wrote:
Got a pic of your Hard drive setup?

No m8 sorry, I didn't think to record that, they are just cable tied to the centre section of the main bracket the TV is mounted on.

The only issues I had where the length of the data cables supplied with the hard drives and the number of USB ports on the MM. my work around are USB extension cables and two, 2to1 USB hubs.

I initially put all the drives through a 4to1 USB hub, this sometimes failed to assign all of the drives. ( I don't know why)

So I split them in to two groups of two, this works. (the other two USB ports on the MM are used up with a web cam and a EyeTV adapter)

Thinking to the future I feel NAS will be the way to go.

Joe Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Mini HTPC All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: