123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

New Mac minis and iMacs?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Mini
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gigaguy

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's interesting about the ATV. I had one for a while for the bedroom and jailbroke it. In stock form it didn't offer much to me, but I'm not into buying movies in iTunes. with my HDTV as my Mini monitor I already have a lot with my HTPC setup.
BUT I need a new Mac Mini and have been holding out for a while. But I may just get the server now. I can't wait much longer.!...
Smallwheels

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is true that Apple once made its money from selling computers. The iPods introduced many people to Apple and probably brought them to view Mac computers. I'm from the other side. I bought a Mac and the computer has impressed me enough to make me look into iPads and iPod Touches.

So many people have iPhones that the computer business might continue to grow, that is until the power of the phones equals mid-level computers. Then people will just buy a wireless keyboard and use Bluetooth or Airplay to connect their iPhone with a monitor. The touch screen of the phone or iPad could be used as the track pad. If Apple built wireless storage devices into their keyboards that would totally negate the need for a separate computer.

I bet many people are realizing that they don't need such powerful computers now that iPads can do just about everything related to the internet.

Can anybody give a good estimate about when the iPhones and iPads will be equal to today's Mac Mini with a Core i5 processor? Will it be two years or five years? How is that Moore's Law working out these days?
Bandit Bill
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mac mini i5 benchmark ~6000
iPhone 5 A6 benchmark ~ 1600

I'd say 2 to 3 years and the iPhone will be as powerful as the current Mac mini.

Keep in mind the Mac mini is has 6X the processing speed as a 2005 G5, which many professionals are currently using even up to this day.

It's amazing that both devices have the power that they do. The iPhone is far more amazing.
marv777
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 10:14 pm    Post subject: i phone Reply with quote

Bandit Bill wrote:
Mac mini i5 benchmark ~6000
iPhone 5 A6 benchmark ~ 1600

I'd say 2 to 3 years and the iPhone will be as powerful as the current Mac mini.

Keep in mind the Mac mini is has 6X the processing speed as a 2005 G5, which many professionals are currently using even up to this day.

It's amazing that both devices have the power that they do. The iPhone is far more amazing.
Why do you say this?
RTL44

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2012 2:25 pm    Post subject: No way Reply with quote

There is no way Apple would dump the Mac Mini. People post stuff with no basis in facts. The Mac Mini is one of the best selling computers in the product line. In fact, it was #2 behind the 21.5 iMac in the month of August - even though it it is over a year old technology and a new Mini is on the horizon. It is currently the best selling desktop of all brands on Amazon.

Comparing the iPhone to the Mac Mini doesn't make sense. They are 2 different beasts. To say the iPhone will have faster specs in 5 years is implying the Mac Mini won't have faster specs in 5 years - which is nonsense.

There are also a lot of (former) Windows users who buy the Mini who are interested in becoming a Mac user w/o having to shell out $1k+ got an iMac. They likely already have peripherals from their setup (monitor, keyboard, printer, mouse, etc.) that will work fine with a Mini without a major investment into trying a whole new OS. Of course, once they convert, they won't look back.
Bandit Bill
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2012 3:03 pm    Post subject: Re: No way Reply with quote

RTL44 wrote:
There is no way Apple would dump the Mac Mini. People post stuff with no basis in facts. The Mac Mini is one of the best selling computers in the product line. In fact, it was #2 behind the 21.5 iMac in the month of August - even though it it is over a year old technology and a new Mini is on the horizon. It is currently the best selling desktop of all brands on Amazon.

Comparing the iPhone to the Mac Mini doesn't make sense. They are 2 different beasts. To say the iPhone will have faster specs in 5 years is implying the Mac Mini won't have faster specs in 5 years - which is nonsense.

There are also a lot of (former) Windows users who buy the Mini who are interested in becoming a Mac user w/o having to shell out $1k+ got an iMac. They likely already have peripherals from their setup (monitor, keyboard, printer, mouse, etc.) that will work fine with a Mini without a major investment into trying a whole new OS. Of course, once they convert, they won't look back.

Relax, nobody said Apple was going to dump the Mac mini. That being said Apple has dumped a lot of products that nobody thought Apple would dump.

Why not compare the iPhone to the Mac mini? Benchmarks are benchmarks. Benchmarks are meant to compare unequal items.
RTL44

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2012 4:52 pm    Post subject: Re: No way Reply with quote

Bandit Bill wrote:
RTL44 wrote:

Relax, nobody said Apple was going to dump the Mac mini. That being said Apple has dumped a lot of products that nobody thought Apple would dump.

Why not compare the iPhone to the Mac mini? Benchmarks are benchmarks. Benchmarks are meant to compare unequal items.

Actually, one of the first posts in this thread mentioned the Mac Mini being dropped - thus my response.

You can compare the iPhone to the Mac Mini. But the post I was responding to about that already showed the benchmarks of the iPhone and Mac Mini - with the Mac Mini having significantly better numbers. But, then he went on to imply that he iPhone would have better specs than the Mac Mini 5 years from now as if the Mini would not see increases over the same span. It was an illogical conclusion.

Did you even read the entire thread?
Bandit Bill
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2012 7:49 pm    Post subject: Re: No way Reply with quote

RTL44 wrote:

Yup.

Perhaps using the quote feature would have helped avoid confusion.
Smallwheels

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2012 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The problem I see with the Mac Mini is that Apple doesn't upgrade it often enough nor with the better chips. The current version is good but look at the price of it. It isn't cheap in any way. There are laptops from other manufacturers with similar or better specs for the same money or less. They come with screens, trackpads, and keyboards.

The phones almost always get new chips yearly. To me this means that the phones will improve faster than the Mini to the point where they'll surpass the Mini's capabilities.

Is the Mini a gateway device for people buying more powerful computers? This might have been the case a few years ago because the iMacs were needed for some tasks that the Mini couldn't do as fast. These days iPads can edit movies better than my 2008 Leopard computer.

Since I don't sell computers I don't know what everybody does most on their machines. I've never read a survey that breaks down the average users computing needs. If people are mostly watching movies, playing games, getting e-mail, and visiting social media sites, then iPhones can do all of those to some extent.

Unless the Mini gets some real horsepower and the price gets lower, it would seem to me that it is a redundant device. With the Apple TV box handling internet entertainment and interfacing with iPads and iPhones, how necessary is a Mac Mini as an HTPC?

This is why those gigantic sales numbers of iPhones and iPads make me feel that Apple might prefer to put its engineering and manufacturing talent into other areas.
marv777
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2012 10:12 pm    Post subject: Mac Mini Reply with quote

Smallwheels wrote:
The problem I see with the Mac Mini is that Apple doesn't upgrade it often enough nor with the better chips. The current version is good but look at the price of it. It isn't cheap in any way. There are laptops from other manufacturers with similar or better specs for the same money or less. They come with screens, trackpads, and keyboards.

The phones almost always get new chips yearly. To me this means that the phones will improve faster than the Mini to the point where they'll surpass the Mini's capabilities.

Is the Mini a gateway device for people buying more powerful computers? This might have been the case a few years ago because the iMacs were needed for some tasks that the Mini couldn't do as fast. These days iPads can edit movies better than my 2008 Leopard computer.

Since I don't sell computers I don't know what everybody does most on their machines. I've never read a survey that breaks down the average users computing needs. If people are mostly watching movies, playing games, getting e-mail, and visiting social media sites, then iPhones can do all of those to some extent.

Unless the Mini gets some real horsepower and the price gets lower, it would seem to me that it is a redundant device. With the Apple TV box handling internet entertainment and interfacing with iPads and iPhones, how necessary is a Mac Mini as an HTPC?

This is why those gigantic sales numbers of iPhones and iPads make me feel that Apple might prefer to put its engineering and manufacturing talent into other areas.
Maybe Apple will start to put a faster processor into the Mac Mini eventually.The price for the standard version is reasonable. To me this i phone is overpriced.It is really a phone .Somewhat of a small handheld computer also.
RTL44

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 10:09 am    Post subject: Re: No way Reply with quote

Bandit Bill wrote:
RTL44 wrote:

Yup.

Good point. I did neglect to do that.
marv777
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 10:22 pm    Post subject: Re: No way Reply with quote

RTL44 wrote:
Bandit Bill wrote:
RTL44 wrote:

Yup.

Good point. I did neglect to do that.
Intel today said that all the sandy bridge processors will be dropped by beginning of 2013 including the i5. Perhaps Apple will be coming out with the new Mac Mini then with a Ivy Bridge Processor also.Curious what is your response to Intel dropping the i 5? Thanks Marv
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Mini All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: