123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Becoming a huge fan of iCloud

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> iCloud
View previous topic :: View next topic  
devo
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 10:38 pm    Post subject: Becoming a huge fan of iCloud Reply with quote

I've always had issues with Apple's web services dating back to .Mac. It was issue after issue. Then there were the wacky bugs and downtime. I've changed my mind with iCloud though. This service is becoming so handy and reliable. And I just love the integration between iOS and Mountain Lion. Change something here, it shows up here. Everything just stays nicely in sync. It even has me thinking about dumping Amazon's Cloud Player for music. So, anyways. What do you guys think of it? Is it changing your mind? How you using it, yada yada yada?

Last edited by devo on Fri Sep 14, 2012 11:26 pm; edited 1 time in total
Bandit Bill
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is certainly getting better. I like it, but I don't even really think about it anymore, it just does it's thing. This is the way it should be.

I think it's one of those things that you don't appreciate unless someone took it away from you. ie. you reinstall Snow Leopard.

I like messages. I use it quite a bit with my iPad. It's nice to continue conversations with people when I'm using my desktop.

I use find my iPhone all the time to see where my GF is at. ie. why make a phone call if I know she is still at the gym or she is driving.

I use Calendar quite a bit. It's great having it stay in sync.

Bookmark syncing is a nice feature.

We are going to see more and more integration from programs, we won't even think about iCloud doing its thing in the background, but as I mentioned, if all of a sudden someone took it away... things would seem broken.
devo
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 11:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bandit Bill wrote:
It is certainly getting better. I like it, but I don't even really think about it anymore, it just does it's thing. This is the way it should be.

That's probably it in a nutshell. It just works...

You could never really say that 100% with .Mac or MobileMe.

I really like the syncing with Mail and Notes too. I'm big into writing down brief notes and numbers. Or just plans, measurements or when something comes to mind. I've been remodeling our house and take our iPad into Lowes all the time. It's all right there. Make a change, then it shows up on the MBP at home. It's really just awesome.

I'm not a big Calendar user like you Bandit, but that's got to be so handy.

I was starting to get into bookmark syncing too, but then I started having issues with Safari in ML. You know, with Flash overheating everything. I'm really hoping that the 10.8.2 update helps with that one or with whatever is going on. Because I would like to get back into using that feature in Safari. I was really impressed with Safari in ML to that point.

I would also be more into Photo Stream if I owned a better iOS device with a camera. Which is something that I might be buying soon. Either the iPad 3 or the rumored mini iPad. I mean, if that one has a decent rear camera.

Do you take a lot of pictures with your iPad 3?
Cypher
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2012 3:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't really used it. Apple were too late to the party for me i was a big Dropbox user anyway and iCloud not supporting Snow Leopard left my iMac cut off. So even now all my cloud documents still go to Dropbox, even though all my Mac's are now on Mountain Lion.

I also share files with Windows machines so Dropbox fits in better than iCloud would.

Mac Mini 2.53GHz - iMac 2.0Ghz - Macbook Pro 2.4GHz - iPad 1 32GB 3G
6TB Netgear Ready NAS NV+ - 6TB Drobo S
Bandit Bill
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2012 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="devo"]
Bandit Bill wrote:
Do you take a lot of pictures with your iPad 3?

I take more pictures with my iPad 3 then I ever thought I would. The quality is quite good and having the photo in an iOS device is handy.

eg. I assembled a nice new BBQ (Weber - it's awesome) and a new shed. I wanted to send a pic to my close buddy who moved across the country. I don't need SLR quality for this type of photo, so out the patio door with the iPad I went.

I don't have an iPhone, so yes I use the iPad camera.

I've also used it a couple of times instead of my scanner. I needed to share some homework with a co-student. So I took a picture of my work. It was more than clear enough. We also chat though iMessage, so all I had to do was open iMessage, go to our conversation thread and snap a picture.
Smithcraft
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2012 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know, I know, I can't use iCloud on my G4 and 10.6 is as far as the Intel mini is going to go, but -

I've been using Apple products for a long time. Sometimes features come along that are awesome and make using a Mac that much better than any other option. Then Apple drops that tech like a hot potato.

So even if I was using a version of OS X that supported iCloud, I still wouldn't use it, because I would have the feeling that sooner or later Apple would just dump it, or wanna charge $100 a year for it.

With a third party option, I can rest assured that if I pick wisely, I can get cross platform support and a product that will last a long time.

SC

[Desktop] Intel mini - 2.16Ghz 2GB 60GB HDD - Newer miniStack v2 500GB - 10.5.8

[Media System] Intel i5 mini - 2.33Ghz 8GB 500GB HDD - 4 x Hitachi 2TB HDD in a qBOX-SF - 10.7.5 (Thanks Phil!)

Make sure it has pins!
Bandit Bill
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2012 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Smithcraft wrote:
I know, I know, I can't use iCloud on my G4 and 10.6 is as far as the Intel mini is going to go, but -

I've been using Apple products for a long time. Sometimes features come along that are awesome and make using a Mac that much better than any other option. Then Apple drops that tech like a hot potato.

So even if I was using a version of OS X that supported iCloud, I still wouldn't use it, because I would have the feeling that sooner or later Apple would just dump it, or wanna charge $100 a year for it.

With a third party option, I can rest assured that if I pick wisely, I can get cross platform support and a product that will last a long time.

SC

I think the fact that Apple dropped the price tag is evidence that they fully plan on supporting it (just like iTunes). It's now part of the Apple ecosystem and Apple wants everyone to become part of it. It's a way to lock people in.

Working in Apple retail I see a high demand and expressed interested in iCloud. A LOT of people use it. It really spurs new Mac sales. Not only does is spur Mac sales, it spurs iPad, iPhone and TV sales. People want the full package and they want everything to work together.

This is just the beginning.
Smithcraft
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 12:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not saying there isn't a demand. I just am wary from Apple's past practices. I used the heck out of iTools (even iCard) so when Apple pulled the $100 a year out of their pocket, and an extra $10 for every additional email address, that was the end of it for me.

If I knew for certain that Apple wouldn't do that again, I would strongly consider it. However, since I don't know that, and knowing Apple's past practices, I'm not going to consider it.

SC

[Desktop] Intel mini - 2.16Ghz 2GB 60GB HDD - Newer miniStack v2 500GB - 10.5.8

[Media System] Intel i5 mini - 2.33Ghz 8GB 500GB HDD - 4 x Hitachi 2TB HDD in a qBOX-SF - 10.7.5 (Thanks Phil!)

Make sure it has pins!
Bandit Bill
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 1:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Smithcraft wrote:
I'm not saying there isn't a demand. I just am wary from Apple's past practices. I used the heck out of iTools (even iCard) so when Apple pulled the $100 a year out of their pocket, and an extra $10 for every additional email address, that was the end of it for me.

If I knew for certain that Apple wouldn't do that again, I would strongly consider it. However, since I don't know that, and knowing Apple's past practices, I'm not going to consider it.

SC

I respect your choice.

I think it will be interesting to revisit this thread in a few years and see how things turn out.

That being said, one can use iCloud and continue their current practices at the same time. In fact I would recommend doing so. My guess is a few people will get bit by relying entirely on the cloud (especially if their account is compromised). One of the nice things about iCloud is the flexibility it offers. As you likely already know, you can manage all of your devices and content independently. Each device can use as many or as few iCloud features as desired.
Cypher
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 2:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My biggest gripe with iCloud was that I had paid for mobile me which worked and did what I wanted. iDisk wasn't good but the bookmark, calendar, contact syncing etc worked a treat. Apple suddenly decided lets change again and call it iCloud and it seems to me they also tried to use this as a way to force people to upgrade to Lion by stopping supporting Snow Leopard. I was left up a creek without a paddle for a service I had damn well paid for. No refund offered and the iCloud switch was one way so once I had tested it I couldn't go back and my iMac sat un synced for the rest of the year.

70 wasted which should have been refunded in some way. Evil or Very Mad

As for Apple suddenly charging for iCloud that could and might happen, but then that could also be said for their competitors. I use and rely on several cloud based services which are all free such as Dropbox, Omnisync, Evernote and Skitch and at any time they could do the same and start charging. I do not think Apple would do the same though unless their other revenue streams suddenly died off. iCloud is the glue that hold everything together and is whats bringing their iPhone only customers over to the Mac. I used to be the only Mac user at work but now their are several others who all came via the iPod iPhone route, iCloud was a big part of them buying Mini's and iMacs as they new it would all just work together.

Mac Mini 2.53GHz - iMac 2.0Ghz - Macbook Pro 2.4GHz - iPad 1 32GB 3G
6TB Netgear Ready NAS NV+ - 6TB Drobo S
Y-Guy

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For me at work iCloud has been a financial savings. I was the only one that used an Exchange email account; now with an IMAP account and the ability to keep my address books & calendar in synch between my home/work/iPhone I was able to cancel the exchange service as part of our work ISP.

My gripe is that I wish it acted more like Dropbox as far as files, but as long as Dropbox works I'm fine using the two services.
g5g5
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 6:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really like what they are doing with iWork documents within iCloud. I just wish that there was something on the lines of iDisk or Dropbox again. An iCloud disk drive in the cloud.

I also like the iCloud.com site with the built-in apps. Which just saw an update with Notes, Reminders and a notification bar.
iLife's a Bitch!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> iCloud All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: