123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Rip off Prices for Memory for Mac Mini

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Mini
View previous topic :: View next topic  
marv777
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 10:35 pm    Post subject: Rip off Prices for Memory for Mac Mini Reply with quote

Yesterday I pulled out the memory of the MM and guess what they use Samsung memory which cost about $4 each. This is ripping consumers off when they want to charge $100 for 4 gigs of memory in the Apple Store.This not fair at all on Apple's part.
ez061111
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 6:45 am    Post subject: Re: Rip off Prices for Memory for Mac Mini Reply with quote

marv777 wrote:
Yesterday I pulled out the memory of the MM and guess what they use Samsung memory which cost about $4 each. This is ripping consumers off when they want to charge $100 for 4 gigs of memory in the Apple Store.This not fair at all on Apple's part.

The world is chock full of let the buyer beware items. For what is a 100% user serviceable part I wouldn't say it's unfair if a consumer chooses to pay the up charge. Retail costs for the high quality Samsung RAM is probably much higher than the $4 you have stated. My quick survey shows $25+
3.5GHz 6C MP, D700s
macmanmacman
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Samsung memory sucks anyways so dont get bent outta shape on it
marv777
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 10:22 pm    Post subject: Samsung Reply with quote

macmanmacman wrote:
You are right. It is never worth $25.00 each stick. I saw it for only $4 each.I have Crucial memory now in it's place.
ez061111
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 11:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Samsung Reply with quote

marv777 wrote:
macmanmacman wrote:
You are right. It is never worth $25.00 each stick. I saw it for only $4 each.I have Crucial memory now in it's place.

If good quality is bad you got me. $25 for the 2x2GB pair is a pretty good price for the high quality RAM made by Samsung. Crucial is decent as well.
3.5GHz 6C MP, D700s
Bandit Bill
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 12:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is nothing wrong with Samsung RAM. Millions of Macs are using it without issue.

I only know one Mac mini member (Phil), who has benchmarked Mac minis with various RAM. I don't recall any particular RAM performing notably poorly or well, compared to others. If it's compatible and stable, that's all I would personally care about.
marv777
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 10:13 pm    Post subject: Samsung Reply with quote

Bandit Bill wrote:
There is nothing wrong with Samsung RAM. Millions of Macs are using it without issue.

I only know one Mac mini member (Phil), who has benchmarked Mac minis with various RAM. I don't recall any particular RAM performing notably poorly or well, compared to others. If it's compatible and stable, that's all I would personally care about.
They are using it because the profit margin is greater and Apple is making lots of money using it compared to other brands. I never said it is bad at all. Apple is ripping off people that is it!
ez061111
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A confusing thread indeed. Apple isn't ripping anybody off using mid-priced excellent quality RAM. I guess I'm not clear why they would use more expensive RAM when quite possibly the quality would not increase. You could make a marketing case of "never let the truth get in the way of a good story" and say they use a particular RAM because it gives some perceived value, but really.

Low failure rate and inexpensive, how is that a rip off. Good business that delivers quality is a bad business model?
3.5GHz 6C MP, D700s
marv777
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ez061111 wrote:
A confusing thread indeed. Apple isn't ripping anybody off using mid-priced excellent quality RAM. I guess I'm not clear why they would use more expensive RAM when quite possibly the quality would not increase. You could make a marketing case of "never let the truth get in the way of a good story" and say they use a particular RAM because it gives some perceived value, but really.

Low failure rate and inexpensive, how is that a rip off. Good business that delivers quality is a bad business model?
Expensive in the sense that people are paying $100 for 4 gigs of ram which really cost perhaps tops $50.That sure is quite a profit. Apple buys this bulk from samsung as i know from experience.
prrcomm

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 12:21 am    Post subject: Memory Reply with quote

I just joined this forum, and just read this thread. Apple's SUPPOSED to make money! That's why It has a better product. If someone thinks he's being "ripped off" on memory, buy a PC. I bought an i5 2.3 GHz in June. Through the Apple Discussion Groups, I found that I could install 16 GB of memory as long as the sticks were a matched pair, which I then bought from NewEgg (always, IMHO, has the BEST prices) for less than $100.

My dad was a mechanic and used to say, "If you can afford to buy a Cadillac, don't bitch about the cost of gas."
Smithcraft
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 6:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The historical model has, almost, always been that Apple has charged a substantial mark up for memory.

Any one here would tell you to buy a base mini, and then upgrade everything else for less than Apple would charge. I'd never buy a Mac that had upgradable memory, with more than the stock memory, and then upgrade it with more reasonably priced memory.

Never forget - Buyer beware!

SC

ps - I don't expect Apple to be using Samsung memory much longer!

[Desktop] Intel mini - 2.16Ghz 2GB 60GB HDD - Newer miniStack v2 500GB - 10.5.8

[Media System] Intel i5 mini - 2.33Ghz 8GB 500GB HDD - 4 x Hitachi 2TB HDD in a qBOX-SF - 10.7.5 (Thanks Phil!)

Make sure it has pins!
marv777
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 9:48 pm    Post subject: Memory Reply with quote

Smithcraft wrote:
The historical model has, almost, always been that Apple has charged a substantial mark up for memory.

Any one here would tell you to buy a base mini, and then upgrade everything else for less than Apple would charge. I'd never buy a Mac that had upgradable memory, with more than the stock memory, and then upgrade it with more reasonably priced memory.

Never forget - Buyer beware!

SC

ps - I don't expect Apple to be using Samsung memory much longer!
Thanks I upgraded my memory to 8 gigs and it is Crucial memory i purchased.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Mini All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: