123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Memory
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> New Users and Switchers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
marv777
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 10:31 pm    Post subject: Memory Reply with quote

I know there are 2 slots in the Mac Mini for memory. Can I use just one slot to put in 1 stick of 4 gigs of memory and leaving the other one empty? Thanks I asked someone and they said no.
macmanmacman
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

true no you cant has to be two
marv777
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 9:52 pm    Post subject: memory Reply with quote

macmanmacman wrote:
So they have to be filled both of them. I have to buy 2gigs each. Thanks
Cypher
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 3:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

macmanmacman wrote:

Whilst its always best to fit two identical memory modules, I don't think you have to. Two identical modules will give you better performance.

Which Mini do you have ? If its one of the new ones, just take one of the modules out and test it. If its one of the older mini's which require stripping down to get to the memory then its probably better to wait until you have two modules of identical memory anyway.

Mac Mini 2.53GHz - iMac 2.0Ghz - Macbook Pro 2.4GHz - iPad 1 32GB 3G
6TB Netgear Ready NAS NV+ - 6TB Drobo S
marv777
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 10:42 pm    Post subject: Mac Mini Reply with quote

Cypher wrote:
macmanmacman wrote:

Whilst its always best to fit two identical memory modules, I don't think you have to. Two identical modules will give you better performance.

Which Mini do you have ? If its one of the new ones, just take one of the modules out and test it. If its one of the older mini's which require stripping down to get to the memory then its probably better to wait until you have two modules of identical memory anyway.
I have the latest one 2011 with 2 gigs of ram and 500 hd thanks. How is Kingston in your opinion?
Cypher
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 3:26 am    Post subject: Re: Mac Mini Reply with quote

marv777 wrote:
How is Kingston in your opinion?

I've not had any dealing with them. I always go to Crucial these days

If you haven't bought the ram yet then have a look at www.crucial.com On the home page on the blue banner at the top, select your Manufacturer as Apple and work your way through the three selection processes to get to your Mini's memory page.

mooblie
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you download/run Crucial's System Scanner, then you will get a "special" part number presented on your shopping list, and I believe they will GUARANTEE the RAM supplied will work with your Mac (or PC).
marv777
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mooblie wrote:
If you download/run Crucial's System Scanner, then you will get a "special" part number presented on your shopping list, and I believe they will GUARANTEE the RAM supplied will work with your Mac (or PC).
Where I live in the Philippines I am leery that when you order on line and the package is shipped here it will be accidentally missing if you know what I mean. Thanks Marv
macmanmacman
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 11:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yea i dont blame you my friend has had them search packages there and they lost items so i wouldn't
Cypher
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 3:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

marv777 wrote:
Where I live in the Philippines

Marv, your forum location says your in the US which was why I suggested Crucial. It might help you get better answers if you update your location to the Philippines

marv777
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 10:30 pm    Post subject: memory Reply with quote

Cypher wrote:
marv777 wrote:
Where I live in the Philippines

Marv, your forum location says your in the US which was why I suggested Crucial. It might help you get better answers if you update your location to the Philippines
Thanks I updated this. Do you think 8 gigs is to much for the average computer user like me? I never do photo shop or video editing at all.Thanks
Cypher
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2012 3:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I manage with 4GB in all of mine but I would prefer to have more. Actually I think my Mac Book Pro may even still be running on 2GB but the misses uses that nowadays and she only uses Safari and Mail. All my machines are now running Mountain Lion and weirdly my slowest machine the 2.0GHz core2Duo iMac is still head and shoulders faster than the others. My main machine is a MacMini 2.53GHZ Core2Duo and it does seem slow at times compared to the iMac. I guess this is probably down to the slower HDD in the mini but more ram would perk it up a bit.

My mini is the older style where you have to dismantle to upgrade, which is the only reason its still on 4GB, if it had an easily accessible slot I'd have probably upped it to 8GB. As I know this one struggles compared to my iMac. My iMac is already maxed out at 4GB.

Your best bet would be to run Activity Monitor which you can find in the Application / Utilities folder. Run that and keep an eye on the system Memory tab, specifically on the amount of Free Memory you have.

I've just done mine and with quite a few apps already running I had 1.8GB free but I've then just started a few more applications, typical of what I would normally have running including watching a film and its now dropped to just under 1GB free. so it is coping ok with 4GB

marv777
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2012 9:22 pm    Post subject: Memory Reply with quote

Cypher wrote:
I manage with 4GB in all of mine but I would prefer to have more. Actually I think my Mac Book Pro may even still be running on 2GB but the misses uses that nowadays and she only uses Safari and Mail. All my machines are now running Mountain Lion and weirdly my slowest machine the 2.0GHz core2Duo iMac is still head and shoulders faster than the others. My main machine is a MacMini 2.53GHZ Core2Duo and it does seem slow at times compared to the iMac. I guess this is probably down to the slower HDD in the mini but more ram would perk it up a bit.

My mini is the older style where you have to dismantle to upgrade, which is the only reason its still on 4GB, if it had an easily accessible slot I'd have probably upped it to 8GB. As I know this one struggles compared to my iMac. My iMac is already maxed out at 4GB.

Your best bet would be to run Activity Monitor which you can find in the Application / Utilities folder. Run that and keep an eye on the system Memory tab, specifically on the amount of Free Memory you have.

I've just done mine and with quite a few apps already running I had 1.8GB free but I've then just started a few more applications, typical of what I would normally have running including watching a film and its now dropped to just under 1GB free. so it is coping ok with 4GB
I think I might go with 8 gigs just to be safe. i am an average computer user no vdieo editing or photo shop at all.Thanks
macmanmacman
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Honestly if you can afford 8 gig's go 8 gig's
marv777
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 10:22 pm    Post subject: Memory Reply with quote

macmanmacman wrote:
Honestly if you can afford 8 gig's go 8 gig's
You talked me into it . Thanks I hope nothing goes wrong with this new memory and it works well.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> New Users and Switchers All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: