123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Software for Blu-Ray player

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> General Software
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pokeyjoe

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 3:35 pm    Post subject: Software for Blu-Ray player Reply with quote

What's available? MacWorld says "Blu-Ray Player" is crap. Toast burns, but doesn't play. What's everyone using?
macmanmacman
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Macworld is fulla crap!!!!

i use mac blu-ray player and have had no issues the reason they are complaining is because you have to be connected to the internet for all blu-ray movies on a computer windows or macintosh
pokeyjoe

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MacWorld:
Quote:
The video itself looked fine when it played properly, but it stopped and started constantly, and often displayed with huge, ugly artifacts. And at times, the app would freeze completely and require a force quit.

Just to make sure it wasn’t a problem with one Blu-ray disc, I tried some others. With Hot Tub Time Machine the results were much, much worse. It got a few seconds into the United Artists logo before the movie and completely froze playback. On several attempts. With David Cronenberg’s The Fly, playback was generally better—but the software played the ‘making of’ movie instead of the actual film. I thought there might have been a preference to help with the movie selection, but—wait for it—the Preferences item didn’t do anything when I selected it.

To be nice, I also tested the software with a standard DVD and it failed to even open the disc. I quit the app and tried again, and this time it worked. I tried playing that same DVD using OS X’s built-in DVD Player app (using the same external drive) and had no problems. Which makes me wonder why you’d ever want to use this app instead of DVD Player for such purposes.

That three-month trial period the company is offering? I think that’s so you can be beta testers for its not-ready-for-prime-time software.

This was from 2011. Has it gotten better? There are a couple other alternatives for the same price.
macmanmacman
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 11:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

it has gotten a lot better and you need to know something about there review
they tried it with a external blu-ray drive usb you cant run blu-ray on usb it has to be a internal drive install
pokeyjoe

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You told me in the Troubleshooting thread that the external Samsung Blu-Ray player I bought should work just fine and now you're saying that I'll have trouble?
ez061111
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 1:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pokeyjoe wrote:
You told me in the Troubleshooting thread that the external Samsung Blu-Ray player I bought should work just fine and now you're saying that I'll have trouble?

Unfortunately you may never know exactly what was meant in either thread as understanding MMMM requires science not yet invented.

Get a BD drive and use MakeMKV to rip and you will likely be happier than using Mac BuRP.
pokeyjoe

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't want to rip blu-ray - I just want to play without any drama.
macmanmacman
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

not what i meant with the other post a external will wok just fine now with the latest version of mac blu-ray player if you are using a advance blu-ray movie like lord of the rings due to it's high encryption you might have to install the drive internally by removing it from the usb enclosure and placing it in the mac mini sorry for the confusion
Mecbethben

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 5:54 am    Post subject: Macgo Mac Blu-ray Player is maybe what you want Reply with quote

Firstly I own a strong enough external Blu-ray drive compatible with my new discovery - Mac Blu-ray Player. It turns out to be a perfect tool. Just my opinion Smile
geeji

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 1:57 am    Post subject: Re: Macgo Mac Blu-ray Player is maybe what you want Reply with quote

Mecbethben wrote:
my new discovery - Mac Blu-ray Player. It turns out to be a perfect tool.
I am surprised you don't find the total lack of Blu-ray disk menu control more disturbing...

jessicamabuly wrote:
I use the Samsung SE-506AB Blu-ray drive, and the Aurora Blu-ray Player, it just works fine now.
Aurora Blu-ray Player is just a re-branded version of MacGo Blu-ray Player, with the exact same limitations.

EDIT : You may want to try the free trial version of DVDFab Mac Blu-ray Player, which at least reads SOME Blu-ray disks menus : I tried 2, 1 OK, 1 failed.
But it is a definite improvement over MacGo Blu-ray player, which has a 100% failure rate, since it cannot read any BD menu at all !
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> General Software All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: