123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Recommend a cloud service for backup

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Accessories
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AT0MAC

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 8:23 am    Post subject: Recommend a cloud service for backup Reply with quote

I have a rather extensive iPhoto library of currently 27GB of data.
All pictures in full 8-12MP resolution from various cameras I have owned the past 10 years.

As I recently became a dad security of those pictures are now the top 1 priority on my IT budget!

I want a cloud service that can do the following:

• Upload a full copy of my iPhoto library (the whole 27GB file)
  • Upload it without I have to move it to a special folder
  • Upload it as soon there have been a change to the file or on a specific time everyday
  • Top secure and trusted company

So far I have found out in my own research that GoogleDrive, SkyDrive, iCloud and various smaller companies can't do what I want.
Dropbox is a very nice way to do it, but it's expensive and annoying I have to move it to their own folder for uploading.

The two I have found could be a good choice is Amazon Cloud Drive and SugarSync - out of those two Amazon is bigger and cheaper so I think I prefer them so far...

What can you recommend??
albert2k

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another option is to purchase a 1TB external disk and made copy of everything there. There is a best way. That is the way I haved, I have two external HD and made copy of everything twice.
Macbook Air - 1.8GHz - Intel Core i5
4GB Memory - 250 GB Hard Disk
OS X Mountain Lion
iPad 2 - iPhone 4
AT0MAC

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

albert2k wrote:
Another option is to purchase a 1TB external disk and made copy of everything there. There is a best way. That is the way I haved, I have two external HD and made copy of everything twice.

I already have the pictures on a external drive (because I regularly work with the pics and don't want to wear out my SSDs too quick) and considering a NAS for home backup - I want an extra backup in the cloud in case of something terrible going wrong here at home, so as fire, theft, water and so on...
macmanmacman
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

problem is this if you purchase a cloud service you will need to upgrade your internet class to business class because the cloud service uses so much bandwidth you would exceed the daily download limitation set by your isp so you might want to upgrade first the purchase cloud services.

This is what happened to a guy in seattle:

He purchased his own cloud server connected it to comcast with all of his media on the server so he could stream it all over his house comcast shut off his internet access because he was on consumer grade comcast and the max is 220 gig's per month of downloads before they turn off the isp so he got banned from comcast for 2 years by comcast he sued but the policy still remain's
AT0MAC

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

macmanmacman wrote:
problem is this if you purchase a cloud service you will need to upgrade your internet class to business class because the cloud service uses so much bandwidth you would exceed the daily download limitation set by your isp so you might want to upgrade first the purchase cloud services.

This is what happened to a guy in seattle:

He purchased his own cloud server connected it to comcast with all of his media on the server so he could stream it all over his house comcast shut off his internet access because he was on consumer grade comcast and the max is 220 gig's per month of downloads before they turn off the isp so he got banned from comcast for 2 years by comcast he sued but the policy still remain's

Luckily I live in Denmark were we have unlimited plans on wired connections Smile

I have just enrolled in a 30days trial at CrashPlan to see if they are the service to choose. I think I like them or SugarSync the most when I read more about them...

So for now I will wait about a day (19 hours) untill my 27GB is uploaded and then see how it handles incremental backups and how it eats up my power when running in the background.
Cypher
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whilst I do you Dropbox for some files and as a temporary backup for others, I don't really trust my data to the cloud so I do as Albert2K does and have several bare 3.5" drives which I use with a Newertech Voyeger dock. Mines an older model of this one but you get the idea.

The way my backup system works is I have three standard internal 3.5" drives which I normally leave at work (my offsite backups). On Friday evenings I usually bring one of them home with me and over the weekend I use Chonosync to back up all of my Mac's to the drive. I rotate the backup drives so I always have at least two backups left at work. The third drive, the oldest one is always the one I bring home to update. Each of the drives contain an encrypted disk image so should anyone steal my drives the data is protected.

I use a dropbox folder to store all of my saved Chonosync backup jobs and each week I just load each job back into Chronosync and let it work its way through them all. It doesn't usually take very long as the backup is incremental once you've done the first one. iPhoto and Aperture are a bit annoying though due to the way the libraries are packages so they always end up being a full backup.

I also have another set of backup jobs which I do to a backup drive which I keep at home. This one gets updated every week and I also do an additional copy directly to a Drobo.

you might think this is a little over the top but I think the Belt and Braces approach is best, and hard drives don't last forever as I was reminded of this weekend when I had to replace a failing Hard Drive in my iMac.

Backup 3-2-1 is a good rule, at least 3 Backup copies of anything you want to keep. On 2 different storage media. With 1 being offsite storage.

I probably fail on the 2 different storage media as I don't trust optical media so I do rely on HDD's but I do have frequently accessed files also saving to dropbox (10GB+ account) and I also keep copies on USB Pen drives of important files.

Mac Mini 2.53GHz - iMac 2.0Ghz - Macbook Pro 2.4GHz - iPad 1 32GB 3G
6TB Netgear Ready NAS NV+ - 6TB Drobo S
AT0MAC

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 2:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cypher wrote:

Backup 3-2-1 is a good rule, at least 3 Backup copies of anything you want to keep. On 2 different storage media. With 1 being offsite storage.

I probably fail on the 2 different storage media as I don't trust optical media so I do rely on HDD's but I do have frequently accessed files also saving to dropbox (10GB+ account) and I also keep copies on USB Pen drives of important files.

That scheme looks top secure but highly annoying also, remembering which files is on the USB pens, the Dropbox and the drives and also the whole story of keeping everything in sync.

I have an external drive I from time to time backs the internal drives in my Mac up to, no scheduled task as I never know when I make mayor re-configs.

All my media though is on a separate drive, it is that I now move to the cloud for secure backup.
As long as I chose a highly professional company then I can't see that their should be much of a problem.
It's a backup, not my primary disc we are talking about - they are both most likely not giving up at the same time whenever they die.
Cypher
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nah its not hard.

The HDD are identical so I don't have to remember anything. I just run that drives scripts to update it to my current Mac's status.

Dropbox is the same its part of my documents folder so my working files are in there, and it gets backed up to my HDD as part of their routine also.

USB I agree is the fiddly one, but with that I just tend to back up my files to them and throw them in a drawer. I have loads of them so I don't usually update them I just create a new one and then wipe the old one.

Also these drives are only backups so I wouldn't under normal circumstances ever but accessing the files on them. The only time I need them is when disaster strikes on my actual computers drives

Mac Mini 2.53GHz - iMac 2.0Ghz - Macbook Pro 2.4GHz - iPad 1 32GB 3G
6TB Netgear Ready NAS NV+ - 6TB Drobo S
AT0MAC

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just tried Amazon S3 for a few hours but someone told me they don't handle re-arranging the data so nicely, it sometimes gets confused and backs up everything twice... Also, they have AES256 encryption but they handle the key themselves, or I could encrypt locally before uploading but just can't find any really good Mac software for that.

So am still backing up to CrashPlan. They have 448bit BlowFish encryption with a key by my own design. Also, S3 scales the price as I scale my needs, in the beginning cheap but in the end could be rather expensive. CrashPlan is unlimited storage - so even if it gets confused about my rearranging, then I can just delete the double and price will be the same.

Still about 2 days till my initial backup is finished...

Am thinking about upgrading my external Lacie DVD burner to a BD burner - for that purpose of backing data up on BD-RE discs that are easy to travel with/hide. Also because the drive would always be here then I can use it for other purposes when not backing up.

That would give me:

Media storage locally on my external FW Drive
Backed up to CrashPlan in the Cloud
Backed up to BD-RE discs at my parents place or work (or anywhere else were I can bring them or mail them to)

Internal harddrive is backed up to Time Machine on another FW drive
Same drive also have a bootable image clone updated every now and then
Could easily back it up to the Cloud as well (maybe in a cloned Dolly Drive that is made for that purpose)

Lastly I consider buying a NAS to be able to share my media storage with other computers at home even when my primary Mac is turned off.
Can also be used as extra backup for all the other things (just a matter of big enough HDD).

In the end I would be pretty secured and would not cost a fortune.
jb
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AT0MAC wrote:

Having your TM backup and your bootable cloned backup on the same hard drive, is not wise, if this drive was to fail you'll lose not 1 but 2 of your restore possibilities.
AT0MAC

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 3:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jb wrote:
AT0MAC wrote:

Having your TM backup and your bootable cloned backup on the same hard drive, is not wise, if this drive was to fail you'll lose not 1 but 2 of your restore possibilities.

But then again, the chances of all drives failing at once is very little... I do have my main drive in the machine and I will eventually have that drive also backed up on a NAS and in the cloud - so even if the external drive fails then yes I loose a clone and TM backups, but I have two other places with them both so not a big deal (NAS with boot image that can be exported to an external drive from another computer and DollyDrive with TM backups in the cloud).
ashleybrown

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since iCloud can't do the job for you I can only recommend dropbox since aside from icloud its the one that I usually use. It could be quite expensive to purchase an extra space for it but it is a really good online storage for files.
AT0MAC

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ashleybrown wrote:
Since iCloud can't do the job for you I can only recommend dropbox since aside from icloud its the one that I usually use. It could be quite expensive to purchase an extra space for it but it is a really good online storage for files.

I agree dropbox is a nice way of sharing files - but not ideal for backing things up. First problem is that it's not automatic, I have to manually move my files to my DropBox folder - and secondly, It's way over the top in price!!!

I have bought a CrashPlan+ Unlimited Family plan and am so far pretty happy with it
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Accessories All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: