123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Dead SSD

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Mini Troubleshooting
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pokeyjoe

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2012 10:43 am    Post subject: Dead SSD Reply with quote

I put a SanDisk Extreme 120 gb in my 09 Mini about six months ago. It worked great until yesterday. I walked away from the computer to do something and when I got back, the only part of the OS that worked was what was loaded in RAM. I tried restarting, but it wouldn't get past the little spinning disk. I put my old HD back in and everything is fine (albeit slower).

Is this just a freakish thing? Is there a problem with SanDisk?
macmanmacman
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2012 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

most likely not or the sandisk could have corrupted you might have to reformat and start again
pokeyjoe

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2012 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Corrupted? I've never had that happen to a traditional HDD. Is that something unique to an SSD? I don't have any way of reformatting short of re-installing it in the Mini and booting off an old OS disk.
macmanmacman
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 6:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yep exactly reinstallation is going to have to happen sorry and no it's not common but can happen remember it's flash memory storage it can go wrong and it can corrupt and you might have to reinstall it just happens no ssd is 100% free of problems
pokeyjoe

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your help. I'm not so sure I want to reinstall the drive if there is a chance that it will happen again. I probably will, though. I'm such a geek. This gives me the opportunity to burn a Mountain Lion install DVD and do a clean install which I have wanted to do for some time.
pokeyjoe

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I reformatted the SSD and performed a clean install of the OS. Everything works fine again. I did discover that SanDisk has released a firmware update for the SSD, however. I would like to install it, but my superdrive is not cooperating. I'll start a different thread for that.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Mini Troubleshooting All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: