123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

External HD Enclosure Compatible w/ Mac Mini 2010 Footprint
Goto page Previous  1, 2
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Accessories
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
mainemanx
New Member
New Member


Joined: 04 Feb 2008
Posts: 9
Location: Maine and/or Funabashi

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2011 7:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

geeji wrote:
There is not enough place in the Mac Mini aluminum housing to cram an optical disk drive + a 3.5" HDD. There may not even be enough to cram a single 3.5" HDD since the internal height is less than 26mm when a 3.5" HDD is 25mm.
You MAY be able to cram an optical disk (12.7mm or preferably 9.5mm) and 1 (or 2) 2.5" HDD (or SSD).

But there will be very little space left for :
- the power supply (the Mac Mini one, ref 661-5654, would fit, but is not cheap : $89)
- a firewire->SATA adapter for the HDD (small ones are hard to find, like this one)
- a USB->mini-SATA adapter for the ODD (or a very small Firewire hub)
- the connecting cables (you need small ones, with the proper "angles")
- a custom printed circuit board to support USB/Firewire sockets at the back and a power On/Off switch.

The challenge is not the electronics, it is the (too) tight fit !
If only somebody could have manufactured a dual/treble height Mac Mini case into which we could have an ODD, a 3.5" HDD, and a FW/USB/Thunderbolt Hub...
The HTMac market must be too small... ?!
Thank you for the response and info...

Wow! You're right! I just received my i5... 3cm is not very tall, and the 2010 case is the same height.

I'll have to borrow Ives' milling machine to scrape out enough space for the 3.5 drive!

Besides... per SJ, "You FDA, you don't need no stinkin' optical drive!"
_________________
Anyone remember switching floppies on a single-drive, 128K Mac?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
philiparcario
Veteran Member
Veteran Member


Joined: 19 Jun 2006
Posts: 4574
Location: Howell NJ USA

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2011 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

this may fit



http://eshop.macsales.com/item/Other%20World%20Computing/MEQMH0GBK/


it will run off fw800 it is very stable and if you put two of these in



http://www.ebay.com/itm/Western-Digital-Scorpio-Black-750GB-7200rpm-16MB-Notebook-2-5-WD7500BPKT-/170747431629?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item27c1570acd#ht_3297wt_1398

it is really fast. I have 3 or four of these I can measure them if you want.
_________________
2010 Mm 2.4 C2D oem 320gb hdd 8gb ram
2012Mm base 2.5 with 16gb ram diy fusion drive
2012Mm quad with 8gb ram oem 1tb hdd

promise pegasus r6 3x 3tb + 3x 4tb =21tb hdds
lacie little big disk 2x 512gb ssds
synology 2tb disk station
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
mainemanx
New Member
New Member


Joined: 04 Feb 2008
Posts: 9
Location: Maine and/or Funabashi

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2011 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

philiparcario wrote:
this may fit

http://eshop.macsales.com/item/Other%20World%20Computing/MEQMH0GBK/

it will run off fw800 it is very stable and if you put two of these in

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Western-Digital-Scorpio-Black-750GB-7200rpm-16MB-Notebook-2-5-WD7500BPKT-/170747431629?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item27c1570acd#ht_3297wt_1398

it is really fast. I have 3 or four of these I can measure them if you want.

Thanks for the offer... it'll be another week before the enclosures arrive... then I'll measure their innards.
_________________
Anyone remember switching floppies on a single-drive, 128K Mac?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
geeji
Member
Member


Joined: 29 Dec 2007
Posts: 156

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2011 2:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mainemanx wrote:
I'll have to borrow Ives' milling machine to scrape out enough space for the 3.5 drive!

I would really not recommend that : the 26mm inside height is the actual measurement I took on my Mac Mini 2010 enclosure, BUT you have to subtract the plastic and metal fittings inside (used to fix the optical drive and the power supply). Since they take about 4mm, you end 3mm short for a 25mm 3.5" HDD.
For sure, you can Dremel out those fittings, but you will still have only 1mm of margin, bad for cooling, and likely forcing you to use double side tape for the HDD fixation, which will make it somewhat noisy.
And you will still have the problem of where to fit all the rest...

On the other hand, 2x2.5" HDD will fit without any problem, will be cooler, quieter, and can be configured as Raid0/Raid1.
But they are slower and can go only up to 1.5TB (2x750GB Raid0) while a 3.5" HDD is faster and can be up to 4TB.
If you just need moderate space and moderate performance, I would recommend you go for the 2x2.5" Raid0.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
philiparcario
Veteran Member
Veteran Member


Joined: 19 Jun 2006
Posts: 4574
Location: Howell NJ USA

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2011 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mainemanx wrote:
philiparcario wrote:
this may fit

http://eshop.macsales.com/item/Other%20World%20Computing/MEQMH0GBK/

it will run off fw800 it is very stable and if you put two of these in

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Western-Digital-Scorpio-Black-750GB-7200rpm-16MB-Notebook-2-5-WD7500BPKT-/170747431629?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item27c1570acd#ht_3297wt_1398

it is really fast. I have 3 or four of these I can measure them if you want.

Thanks for the offer... it'll be another week before the enclosures arrive... then I'll measure their innards.



okay I have used them with a lot of hdds and ssds they are nice .

It terms of height they will fit I am not sure the would be too wide to fit. I have considered buying those empty shells on ebay that you grabbed. I had a nice setup with my 2009 mac mini but the cpu was too slow.



http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1178755


this was pretty good setup other then the slow cpu
_________________
2010 Mm 2.4 C2D oem 320gb hdd 8gb ram
2012Mm base 2.5 with 16gb ram diy fusion drive
2012Mm quad with 8gb ram oem 1tb hdd

promise pegasus r6 3x 3tb + 3x 4tb =21tb hdds
lacie little big disk 2x 512gb ssds
synology 2tb disk station
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
mainemanx
New Member
New Member


Joined: 04 Feb 2008
Posts: 9
Location: Maine and/or Funabashi

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2011 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

geeji wrote:
mainemanx wrote:
I'll have to borrow Ives' milling machine to scrape out enough space for the 3.5 drive!

I would really not recommend that : the 26mm inside height is the actual measurement I took on my Mac Mini 2010 enclosure, BUT you have to subtract the plastic and metal fittings inside (used to fix the optical drive and the power supply). Since they take about 4mm, you end 3mm short for a 25mm 3.5" HDD.
For sure, you can Dremel out those fittings, but you will still have only 1mm of margin, bad for cooling, and likely forcing you to use double side tape for the HDD fixation, which will make it somewhat noisy.
And you will still have the problem of where to fit all the rest...

On the other hand, 2x2.5" HDD will fit without any problem, will be cooler, quieter, and can be configured as Raid0/Raid1.
But they are slower and can go only up to 1.5TB (2x750GB Raid0) while a 3.5" HDD is faster and can be up to 4TB.
If you just need moderate space and moderate performance, I would recommend you go for the 2x2.5" Raid0.

Hmmm... leave off the plastic bottom.... mount it on a fan... Laughing

I can't think until I have it in my hands... hard drive in one hand... enclosure in the other....

I'm resisting the 2.5s because I've two 2TB 3.5s... newEgg pre-Thailand flood specials Cool

Regardless, thank you for the insights...
_________________
Anyone remember switching floppies on a single-drive, 128K Mac?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
hemel
New Member
New Member


Joined: 23 Dec 2011
Posts: 3

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2011 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can you tell us if the rear I/O frame comes with the case?

Previously someone posted that it did, but when I asked them on ebay, they stated that it did not.

Thanks!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
tatuanui
New Member
New Member


Joined: 04 Sep 2011
Posts: 2
Location: Singapore

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2011 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, when I got mine the case came with the rear I/O plate and also the bottom cover so if you buy from the eBay seller I posted a link for then you should get the same. They're based in Hong Kong I believe.[/quote]
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
hemel
New Member
New Member


Joined: 23 Dec 2011
Posts: 3

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

New Mini Stack & Mini Stack Max

http://www.newertech.com/products/ministack.php
http://www.newertech.com/products/ministackmax.php

New MS



MS Max

Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
geeji
Member
Member


Joined: 29 Dec 2007
Posts: 156

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2012 1:02 am    Post subject: NewerTech miniStack USB3 Reply with quote

Well, it took 6 months, but Newer Technology finally started shipping the miniStack USB3 they announced in January, with the same exact footprint as the Mac Mini 2010-2011 : $90 at OWC.
The miniStack Max, which adds an ODD to the 3.5" HD is still "coming soon".
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
geeji
Member
Member


Joined: 29 Dec 2007
Posts: 156

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 3:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finally installed a ministack USB3 with a Western Digital Caviar Green 2TB 64GB SATA Hard Drive (WD20EARS, 4K Sectors) : works perfectly, with the exact same footprint as the Mac Mini 2010+.
If you live in Europe, note that the power supply is universal, but you will still need a US->Europe plug adapter.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Accessories All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum



      

Shop:  Apple Store  |  Refurbished Macs  |  Refurbished iPads  |  MacConnection  |  Mac Mini Vault  |  Other World Computing

MK 1 Studio Mac mini Racks  |  Crucial Mac Memory  |  Top Free Mac Apps  |  Top Paid Mac Apps



123Macmini.com is an independent publication and has not been authorized, sponsored, or approved by Apple Computer, Inc.
All logos and trademarks in this site are property of their respective owners.
Copyright © 2011 123Macmini.com. All Rights Reserved.