123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Hi Rez Photos

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Mini
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rockysv

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 9:16 pm    Post subject: Hi Rez Photos Reply with quote

I had some family slides transfered to DVD about 5 years ago and they look OK

i was wondering if slides can be transfered to blu ray and played back on my TV with a blu ray player ?

Thanks
mooblie
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 6:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If they've been transferred to a DVD-Video disc (and you're playing them on a set-top DVD player and TV?) then the photos will no longer be high resolution. The maximum resolution will be 720x480 pixels, if it's an NTSC (American) DVD-Video disc.

If they're on a DVD data disc, they might still be high resolution - it depends.

Naturally, to take advantage of Blu-ray, you want high(er) resolution - although bear in mind, even from a Blu-ray video disc, playing into an HD TV, they'll still only be a maximum resolution of 1920x1080 pixels.

How/where do you play this DVD disc currently, to view these photos?
Rockysv

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes
i should have been more clear --

I ment to rescan the slides --

Do you know if there is anything like a high rez scanner to put the slides on Blu ray --not for me at home -- but to take them somewhere to get done ?
Thanks
mooblie
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mooblie wrote:
If they've been transferred to a DVD-Video disc ..... then the photos will no longer be high resolution.

There's not much point in up-rezzing them - the high resolution of the originals has been lost, if they're on DVD-Video disc now.

Unless, of course, you have access to the original hi-resolution JPEG files...
Rockysv

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK
i'll try one more time i had them put on DVD they don't look that good on an HD TV

So i thought if someone knew if they could be rescanned in a high rez format and put on a bluray--

it makes sence to me

a bluray looks much better than a DVD

So one would think (slides scanned) in hi def would look much better
Smithcraft
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 5:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just get the originals rescanned. That would cover the first part. I don't know of anyone, or any service, that makes BD picture discs.

SC

[Desktop] Intel mini - 2.16Ghz 2GB 60GB HDD - Newer miniStack v2 500GB - 10.5.8

[Media System] Intel i5 mini - 2.33Ghz 8GB 500GB HDD - 4 x Hitachi 2TB HDD in a qBOX-SF - 10.7.5 (Thanks Phil!)

Make sure it has pins!
Y-Guy

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is becoming more of a specialized service, you won't find Costco or Wal-Mart doing this anymore. There is no reason they can't be rescanned in a higher resolution. Now if you pop your DVD in your computer you might find it's a DVD & Data disc then you can see if the scanned data images are better resolution. Taking what you have and transferring it to BluRay will just give you a BluRay compatible disc not anything better resolution unless the disc has high res scans on it already.
Rockysv

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They don't look that bad using an old tube tv - that fits the 480i of a DVD -- but i have stored away my old TV and only have Hi Def TV's in use --

i found a place on the web who will scan them in 4k rez but they put them in Jpeg form on anything you want -- even Bluray -- but i wonder if going to Jpeg will down rez them -- i guess i'll give it a try on a small batch --

thanks
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Mini All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: