123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Magic Track Pad
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Accessories
View previous topic :: View next topic  
billb
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 9:07 pm    Post subject: Workin' through the PAIN Reply with quote

I'm thrilled your so impressed with my
increadable prowes by being able to
type through all of my PAIN to help
the little people, you know, someone
like you.

HA, HA, HA, buy using a Trackball and
a MTP, I type very little. Just for you
and occasionally a little eMail.
Mac mini, Model 1.1, 2.33 GHz C2D Proc
20" iMac G4 PPC
marv777
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 10:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Workin' through the PAIN Reply with quote

billb wrote:
I'm thrilled your so impressed with my
increadable prowes by being able to
type through all of my PAIN to help
the little people, you know, someone
like you.

HA, HA, HA, buy using a Trackball and
a MTP, I type very little. Just for you
and occasionally a little eMail.
You mention you are on the computer 16 hours a day than what do you do other than not type? Just curious.I am not that little 6ft 1 1/2 inches tall.Seriously is this MTP a good investment or not? Thanks
billb
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm typing this response. When surfing the web
typing is preaty much unnecessary unless I need
or want to say something. Most of the time I'm
reading not typing.
20" iMac G4 PPC
marv777
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 9:53 pm    Post subject: Magic Track Pad Reply with quote

billb wrote:
I'm typing this response. When surfing the web
typing is preaty much unnecessary unless I need
or want to say something. Most of the time I'm
reading not typing.
That is a lot of memory for just reading and surfing the web.
billb
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2012 3:02 am    Post subject: To Much Memory Reply with quote

I'm going to guess you've never photoshopped a large
image. 16 Gig's quickly turn into not enough memory.
For everyday tasks, its overkill, for Photoshot its some-
times not enough.

Having to much RAM is like being to good looking or
having to much money.........its not a bad thing but
a good thing.

Edit: let me add that i don't like the MTP for Image
Manipulation...........the Trackball rules, for me.
20" iMac G4 PPC
Bandit Bill
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2012 11:34 am    Post subject: Re: To Much Memory Reply with quote

billb wrote:
Having too much RAM is like being too good looking or
having too much money.........its not a bad thing

I can relate Wink
marv777
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2012 9:25 pm    Post subject: Re: To Much Memory Reply with quote

Bandit Bill wrote:
billb wrote:
Having too much RAM is like being too good looking or
having too much money.........its not a bad thing

I can relate Wink
I am not into Photos at all. Maybe that is why I am naive to ask you this question.Regular average computer user.
Bandit Bill
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2012 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

marv I mentioned in another post how you can determine if you have enough memory to meet your needs. Here it is again.

---------------------

Use your computer as you normally would for a few days without rebooting (or at least a full day).

Click on the magnifying glass (Spotlight) in the top right of your screen.
Type Activity
Hit enter if Activity Monitor is highlighted
Click System memory.

Note the number next to the Page Ins field
Note the number next to the Page Outs field

Ideally Pages out will be zero. If it is more than zero, you would have benefitted from more memory.
If the number next to Pages out is more than 10% of the Page Ins number. Get more RAM. If not, save your money.

A page out means information wanted to stay in memory, but you did not have enough RAM. The information was in RAM was then written to the hard drive to reallocate space for the new data that requires memory. This process slows your machine down and works your hard drive more than needed.

2GB of memory may be enough if you are only running one or two applications at a time, but it really is just squeaking by. With the large amount of overhead that Lion and Mountain Lion have, 2GB is very little. 2GB was fine for most people with Snow Leopard.

Activity Monitor and similar apps are really the only way to tell, don't let others tell you, let Activity Monitor tell you and use your own judgement.
marv777
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2012 9:17 pm    Post subject: Memory Reply with quote

Bandit Bill wrote:
marv I mentioned in another post how you can determine if you have enough memory to meet your needs. Here it is again.

---------------------

Use your computer as you normally would for a few days without rebooting (or at least a full day).

Type Activity
Click System memory.

Ideally Pages out will be zero. If it is more than zero, you would have benefitted from more memory.
If the number next to Pages out is more than 10% of the Page Ins number. Get more RAM. If not, save your money.

A page out means information wanted to stay in memory, but you did not have enough RAM. The information was in RAM was then written to the hard drive to reallocate space for the new data that requires memory. This process slows your machine down and works your hard drive more than needed.

2GB of memory may be enough if you are only running one or two applications at a time, but it really is just squeaking by. With the large amount of overhead that Lion and Mountain Lion have, 2GB is very little. 2GB was fine for most people with Snow Leopard.

Activity Monitor and similar apps are really the only way to tell, don't let others tell you, let Activity Monitor tell you and use your own judgement.
I did what you told me and it says zero bits and 44.2 outs. Thanks
Bandit Bill
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 6:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Memory Reply with quote

marv777 wrote:
Bandit Bill wrote:

---------------------

Type Activity
Click System memory.

The number next to Page ins is always larger than the number next to Page outs. Your numbers confuse me.

Here's mine above. Notice I have Page ins: 4.96GB ins and Page outs: 0 bytes.

This means I have enough memory (RAM).

Previously when I had 4GB of RAM my Pages outs were typically 10-20% of my page ins. I could have lived with it, but now I have enough. The system runs faster. I've never seen the beach ball since the upgrade.

You have 2 GB of RAM. I can guarantee you that with 2GB of RAM your Page ins will not remain at 0 (zero) given a day or two of use.

You can access if 2 GB is enough for you. Personally I think you'd have to be pretty frugal not to upgrade to at least 4GB, even 8GB is very affordable. In my opinion even if you are frugal upgrading RAM will increase the longevity of the system, therefore it will save you money down the road.

Memory tends to get more expensive over time, because they end up making it in lower quantities. You can upgrade today for $50 or wait 4 years and pay $100+ because the chips are rare.

You decide. I think you have enough info to make a qualified decision.
marv777
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 9:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Memory Reply with quote

marv777 wrote:
Bandit Bill wrote:

---------------------

Type Activity
Click System memory.

Thanks for your help. I will buy 4 gigs of memory. Is Kingston any decent to use?
Bandit Bill
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We use Kingston at my Apple reseller store. We've put it in 1000's of computers without issue. It's my brand preference.

Make sure you price out 2X2GB = 4GB and 2X4GB = 8GB
Usually upgrading to 8GB doesn't cost much more if any. You might be surprised.

As a reseller we take 2GB chips out of laptops all the time to make room for 8 or 16 GB.

If you want to go to 4GB. You could ask a local reseller if they have any surplus/used 2GB RAM chips for a lower price. You will need 2 of them.
marv777
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 10:25 pm    Post subject: Memory Reply with quote

Bandit Bill wrote:
We use Kingston at my Apple reseller store. We've put it in 1000's of computers without issue. It's my brand preference.

As a reseller we take 2GB chips out of laptops all the time to make room for 8 or 16 GB.

If you want to go to 4GB. You could ask a local reseller if they have any surplus/used 2GB RAM chips for a lower price. You will need 2 of them.
Thanks Again Bill. Incidentally I use to live in Vancouver BC about 6 years ago. Canada is a great place to live. I will go with Kingston Memory instead of Corsair. The regular Kingston is good I presume? That is all they sell here.Marv
Bandit Bill
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 11:07 am    Post subject: Re: Memory Reply with quote

marv777 wrote:
Bandit Bill wrote:

Thanks Again Bill. Incidentally I use to live in Vancouver BC about 6 years ago. Canada is a great place to live. I will go with Kingston Memory instead of Corsair. The regular Kingston is good I presume? That is all they sell here.Marv

We use system specific memory. If you go to Kingstons website and select system specific memory, you can then select your mini. It will then point you to the shopping carts of online resellers with the specific product. Pretty slick.
marv777
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 10:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Memory Reply with quote

Bandit Bill wrote:
marv777 wrote:
Bandit Bill wrote:

We use system specific memory. If you go to Kingstons website and select system specific memory, you can then select your mini. It will then point you to the shopping carts of online resellers with the specific product. Pretty slick.
They only sell Kingston Value Memory here in the Philippines.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Accessories All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: