123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Office 2011 for Mac :?:

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> General Software
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MacUser_Since_1986

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 12:29 pm    Post subject: Office 2011 for Mac :?: Reply with quote

I work as the manager of a small family business office. In recent years, money has been extremely tight. (Surprise, surprise.) But now we're forced to make a purchase.

Up to now, we sidestepped the issue of Microsoft Office file compatibility (we currently use Office v. X: Mac; 2002-vintage software) regarding DOCX, XLSX, and PPTX files by using OpenOffice. But now we're finding this to be more and more of a nuisance. I've been given the green light to buy a new copy of Office. It will have to be installed on two machines, and it will have to include Outlook.

Everything I find for deals on the 'net is for the version of Office 2011: Mac that does not include Outlook. Does anyone know where I can find a deal for the Outlook version?
Bandit Bill
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You need to buy the Home and Business edition to get Outlook, not the Home and Student edition. The Home and Business edition is the version you are supposed to be using for revenue generating and non profit businesses. Expe ct to pay almost double the price of the student edition.
macmanmacman
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

But also be expected to purchase 2 copy's because the business edition doesn't have a multiple license key
Bandit Bill
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a 1 user 2 computer licence. ~$249 or much cheaper on eBay
Y-Guy

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't help you on finding the deal but before you jump I'd ask why you need Outlook? I was a Office user on the PC for work for years, when I went to the Mac at work I wanted that comfy pair of shoes I was used to called Outlook, Word and Excel.

I started off with Office 2008 with Entourage, and found it wasn't bad but a far cry from Outlook. When I got office 2011 I was hoping that Outlook would take me back to my PC days, wrong. I wasn't the only one a lot of folks disliked how Outlook functioned on the Mac. I've since moved completely away from Outlook and use Mail/Calendar/Address book and I won't go back.

Now I'll say this about Word and Excel, they are better then the PC versions by far when it comes to the ribbon and menu systems - that Ribbon on the PC is what drove me to move to the Mac at work. Now Excel on the mac is about as good as it gets in office, stable and does what you expect. I find word to be slow and at this point I avoid using it as much as I can. Actually for most of my writing I use a free word processor called Bean - amazingly fast and can handle 90% of what I need to do.

I did try using Open Office and NeoOffice and as nice as they both are, I found the menu layout to slow me down drastically. It works and the price is great just never worked right for me.

FYI if you are a non-profit business you can get Office at a very low price.
Bandit Bill
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Y-Guy wrote:

FYI if you are a non-profit business you can get Office at a very low price.

Are you referring to the Home and Business edition (yellow box)? Is says specifically on the back of the box, that is is not to be used for revenue generating business, non profit organizations and government institutions.

Is there a version for non profits that I'm not aware of?
Y-Guy

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bandit Bill wrote:
Is there a version for non profits that I'm not aware of?

It's not another version, but a company in SF, CA called TechSoup works to find tech donations for non-profits. In this case Microsoft donates large numbers of software programs to them, they in turn "sell" them for a small administration fee to cover their costs and then Microsoft can turn all requests for donations to TechSoup.

In the US its www.techsoup.org and in the great white north its http://www.techsoupcanada.ca/

There are restrictions for non-profits based on each donors requirement, sometime its budget size, usually no schools, religious groups, etc. In the US each non-profit must be a 501(c)3 with the IRS, I'm not sure what the Canadian equivalent would be though.

For example Office suite for Mac Standard Edition non-profit cost is $23 - pretty amazing. But quantities are limited and they run out. But if you are ever helping a non-profit with software needs its worth checking into TechSoup.

That said I'm glad I have it for work, but sad I spent full price at home for it's poor performance. IMHO.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> General Software All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: