123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Keep black Macbook or upgrade to MBP?

 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Notebooks
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
CaliforniaMini
Veteran Member
Veteran Member


Joined: 06 Aug 2006
Posts: 858

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2011 11:00 pm    Post subject: Keep black Macbook or upgrade to MBP? Reply with quote

I'm having a bit of a conundrum here and I'd like some feedback - of course no answer is right or wrong.

I've got a black Macbook 3,1 2.2GHz. I've upgraded to 4gb ram and a 320gb hd. I just had the top case changed and its looking all beautiful again. There is nothing wrong with it, still cosmetically clean, only very minor scratches and it handles everything I throw at it. But now I'm itching for something else.

I've got two plans. First is to switch out the drive to a larger one - probably 500gb, reload the OS and sell it. Judging by previous sales on eBay, I could probably fetch between $600 and $700 for it. Then score a refurbished 2.4 C2D MBP from Apple, about $985 shipped. Then upgrade the hd and ram. I'll have put about $500 into it getting it the way I want it after selling the old one. Going from a 2.2 to a 2.4 C2D I won't see much of a performance boost. And this one already handles everything I throw at it, so thats not necessary anyway. It would just be a new piece of equipment.

Other plan is to just up the drive on the Blackbook to 500gb. Double or even triple boot with Windows 7 and Ubuntu and just stick with this one for a while.

So, if you were I, what would YOU do?

Thanks!!!
_________________
Mercury TiBook 400MHz, 1GB RAM, 120GB HD, Airport
Mini 2.16GHz C2D, 2GB RAM, 320GB 72k RPM HD, 1TB External, Slingbox
BlackBook 2.2GHz C2D, 4GB RAM, 320GB 72k RPM HD
Mini 2.0GHz (Early 2009), 4GB RAM, 320GB 72k RPM HD
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Bandit Bill
Veteran Member
Veteran Member


Joined: 07 Jun 2005
Posts: 5985
Location: Edmonton, AB, Canada

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2011 11:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Keep black Macbook or upgrade to MBP? Reply with quote

CaliforniaMini wrote:
I'm having a bit of a conundrum here and I'd like some feedback - of course no answer is right or wrong.

I've got a black Macbook 3,1 2.2GHz. I've upgraded to 4gb ram and a 320gb hd. I just had the top case changed and its looking all beautiful again. There is nothing wrong with it, still cosmetically clean, only very minor scratches and it handles everything I throw at it. But now I'm itching for something else.

I've got two plans. First is to switch out the drive to a larger one - probably 500gb, reload the OS and sell it. Judging by previous sales on eBay, I could probably fetch between $600 and $700 for it. Then score a refurbished 2.4 C2D MBP from Apple, about $985 shipped. Then upgrade the hd and ram. I'll have put about $500 into it getting it the way I want it after selling the old one. Going from a 2.2 to a 2.4 C2D I won't see much of a performance boost. And this one already handles everything I throw at it, so thats not necessary anyway. It would just be a new piece of equipment.

Other plan is to just up the drive on the Blackbook to 500gb. Double or even triple boot with Windows 7 and Ubuntu and just stick with this one for a while.

So, if you were I, what would YOU do?

Thanks!!!


I'd upgrade while it still has value. How much longer does it have AppleCare?

There are 4 reasons that I would upgrade. (I wouldn't get a C2D).

Lion
New battery
Warranty
Thunderbolt

Personally I would skip the C2D models and get a refurb 2011 MBP with the i5 and Thunderbolt

If you can wait and get a model with Lion... Lion and a new battery is almost worth $250.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
CaliforniaMini
Veteran Member
Veteran Member


Joined: 06 Aug 2006
Posts: 858

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2011 12:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doesn't have AppleCare on it. Apple is covering the topcase replacement for three years on these, even if they are out of warranty, because they are prone to crack. The battery on this one is still about 95% after three years so I'm good there for now. I'd end up buying a family pack of Lion anyway for the rest of the Macs in the house, so that doesn't really matter. Warranty - eh, simple repairs I do myself. But I've been lucky with all my Macs. Only issue I've had in 15 years is a bad mobo on a Performa. Since then, five Macs and 0 issues. Yea, sure, anything can happen at any time. And Thunderbolt I don't see a need for yet. Perhaps thats because its a new technology. But just like the display port on my Blackbook, its just there.

And if I were to do this, it would be one of the lower end C2D models. I'm not working right now and living on unemployment while going to school full time. Mortgages take up just about all the unemployment $$$, so theres not a lot left for toys at the moment...perhaps I'll stick with what I've got for now, now that I've had a bit more time to think about it.

Still open to suggestions though.
_________________
Mercury TiBook 400MHz, 1GB RAM, 120GB HD, Airport
Mini 2.16GHz C2D, 2GB RAM, 320GB 72k RPM HD, 1TB External, Slingbox
BlackBook 2.2GHz C2D, 4GB RAM, 320GB 72k RPM HD
Mini 2.0GHz (Early 2009), 4GB RAM, 320GB 72k RPM HD
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Cypher
Veteran Member
Veteran Member


Joined: 24 Jan 2007
Posts: 3109
Location: North West - UK

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2011 5:18 am    Post subject: Re: Keep black Macbook or upgrade to MBP? Reply with quote

Bandit Bill wrote:
If you can wait and get a model with Lion... Lion and a new battery is almost worth $250.


Have they announce the Lion pricing yet ?
_________________
Phil

Mac Mini 2.53GHz - iMac 2.0Ghz - Macbook Pro 2.4GHz - iPad 1 32GB 3G
6TB Netgear Ready NAS NV+ - 6TB Drobo S
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Bandit Bill
Veteran Member
Veteran Member


Joined: 07 Jun 2005
Posts: 5985
Location: Edmonton, AB, Canada

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2011 8:16 am    Post subject: Re: Keep black Macbook or upgrade to MBP? Reply with quote

Cypher wrote:
Bandit Bill wrote:
If you can wait and get a model with Lion... Lion and a new battery is almost worth $250.


Have they announce the Lion pricing yet ?


No I'm basing that on past OS pricing.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Fox
Veteran Member
Veteran Member


Joined: 01 Feb 2006
Posts: 2671
Location: Peterborough, Ontario, Canada

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2011 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If money is tight, your MacBook is functional and you're reasonably happy with it, I would stand pat. This is in part because I don't think you'll get $600 for it, so you'll need more money than you have allocated in your head for the upgrade. A replacement drive is very inexpensive; a cheap way to extend the use of your MacBook. I presently have a 2.26 ghz C2D 13.3" MacBook Pro that I think is great. While I agree with Bill that the newest MBP is worth the difference in cost over a C2D model, a good refurb 2.4 ghz MBP is an excellent machine and unless you need the latest and greatest, it should keep you happy for years to come.
_________________
Mini 1 (2011): 2.3 ghz Core i5; 8 gb RAM, Corsair 240gb SSD, 500 gb Seagate XT
Mini 2 (2009): 2.26 ghz Core 2 duo, 8 gb RAM, 500 gb Seagate used as HTPC
Also a Cube, 13" MacBook Air, 20" 2.66 ghz iMac & 11.6" Acer 1810TZ running Ubuntu & Crunchbang
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Bandit Bill
Veteran Member
Veteran Member


Joined: 07 Jun 2005
Posts: 5985
Location: Edmonton, AB, Canada

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2011 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fox wrote:
This is in part because I don't think you'll get $600 for it.


We take these laptops in on trade and resell them for $600. They don't last more than a day or two at that price.

With a new top cover I think you will get $600 easily. No more though. $600 is a fair price.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
CaliforniaMini
Veteran Member
Veteran Member


Joined: 06 Aug 2006
Posts: 858

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2011 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bandit Bill wrote:
Fox wrote:
This is in part because I don't think you'll get $600 for it.


We take these laptops in on trade and resell them for $600. They don't last more than a day or two at that price.

With a new top cover I think you will get $600 easily. No more though. $600 is a fair price.


Who is we? What are you doing now besides your detailing business?
And my $600-$700 estimate was based on past recent sales on eBay.
_________________
Mercury TiBook 400MHz, 1GB RAM, 120GB HD, Airport
Mini 2.16GHz C2D, 2GB RAM, 320GB 72k RPM HD, 1TB External, Slingbox
BlackBook 2.2GHz C2D, 4GB RAM, 320GB 72k RPM HD
Mini 2.0GHz (Early 2009), 4GB RAM, 320GB 72k RPM HD
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Bandit Bill
Veteran Member
Veteran Member


Joined: 07 Jun 2005
Posts: 5985
Location: Edmonton, AB, Canada

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2011 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CaliforniaMini wrote:
Who is we? What are you doing now besides your detailing business?
And my $600-$700 estimate was based on past recent sales on eBay.


I'm working in sales at WestWorld (Western Canada's largest Apple reseller).
http://www.westworldsales.com/
It's a lot different environment than an Apple store.
I work 9-5 M-F so I typically deal with business customers.

I'm not making much $, but it allows me to stay in town for the time being and it's a lot of fun. I've learned a lot over the past few months and I continue to learn more and more each day.

BTW I detailed a BMW X5 today for extra $. I took it for a drive. It's a nice vehicle but I wouldn't want one. I'd rather drive my truck.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Smallwheels
Senior Member
Senior Member


Joined: 06 Sep 2008
Posts: 267

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2011 6:16 pm    Post subject: What About An SSD? Reply with quote

What about an SSD? Today on Macworld I saw a mention about Other World Computing (OWC) modifying a Mac. It got me thinking about my next Apple computer. My computer software is working just fine. I have a 2008 Mac Book 2.4 GHz Core 2 Duo with 2 GB RAM. The hard drive is 160 GB and is slightly more than half full.

I'm really impressed with the graphics speeds of the newer models. They have the 1333 MHz buses. Unfortunately they have the Intel integrated graphics on the new ones instead of the Nvidia chips. Mine has the integrated graphics and an 800 MHz bus.

My Mac Book might sell for $600 on a good day with its new battery. A new Mac Book Pro 13" with the 2.7 GHz processor would cost $1499. It would also have the latest track pad that allows multi-touch gestures.

Do I really need to upgrade now? No. I really only do basic things and some easy movie editing with iMovie '08. It would be great if everything happened much faster.

OWC sells a 240 GB SSD for $530. I could also get 4 GB RAM for about $60 the last time I checked. It might be less now.

Would spending $600 on internal upgrades make my current 2008 Mac Book nearly equal to a new Mac Book Pro? Doing that would make my computer much faster and it would be almost $300 cheaper than buying a new one. I could spend $69 for a Magic Trackpad and have the functionality to utilize Lion if I decided to upgrade the OS.

One benefit of the older model is the removable battery. I'm on my second defective one. It isn't a good thing to have defective batteries, but; it is good to be able to just swap them instead of sending the computer back to Apple to be replaced.

I've never owned an SSD. Will having one help me with the playing of streaming movies? I don't know if it will or not. I do know it will open programs faster and allow quicker access to stored files. I do know that adding more RAM will help with streaming movies. Can anybody tell me how the SSD will affect streaming internet content?

Is updating the three year old computer with a faster drive and more RAM just as good as getting a new computer?


Smallwheels

www.MySpace.com/Beninate
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
ChevroletChap
Junior Member
Junior Member


Joined: 03 Jul 2012
Posts: 31

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2012 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you all for this thread! Very enlightening, this one has become a compare and contrast between the two. Well as for me, if you could resell it with the stated price on the market, making sure you'd get a profit from what the upgrading expenses then you should go for it! Good luck!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Smallwheels
Senior Member
Senior Member


Joined: 06 Sep 2008
Posts: 267

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2012 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As of this date in 2012 it wouldn't be worth the upgrade because Mountain Lion won't work with my hardware. There is also one program that works with a proprietary EEG device that I use for biofeedback. There are no current programs that work with it, thus my Mac Book will remain with me as a dedicated hardware device just for one program. That program doesn't require more RAM or a faster drive.

I don't know if my next computer will be a laptop or desktop but the Mac Book will stick around and eventually become a backup storage device and perhaps my emergency computer if the other main unit needs to go to the shop. As far as backup computers go it will be a really good one. My computing arsenal will be one backup computer; one small tablet, and one yet to be determined high end computer.

Knowing that I must keep the Mac Book has made my choices easier. If the company that made the EEG device had upgraded its software then I'd be wondering which system to pick that would work with the device.

The original question I asked is still a good one. Would upgrading a three year old computer with an SSD and more RAM give the same performance as a newer computer with a conventional hard drive?

Smallwheels
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Notebooks All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum



      

Shop:  Apple Store  |  Refurbished Macs  |  Refurbished iPads  |  MacConnection  |  Mac Mini Vault  |  Other World Computing

MK 1 Studio Mac mini Racks  |  Crucial Mac Memory  |  Top Free Mac Apps  |  Top Paid Mac Apps



123Macmini.com is an independent publication and has not been authorized, sponsored, or approved by Apple Computer, Inc.
All logos and trademarks in this site are property of their respective owners.
Copyright © 2011 123Macmini.com. All Rights Reserved.