123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Mac Mini 2011-2012 w/ Internal Superdrive : SUCCESS !
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Mini Upgrading
View previous topic :: View next topic  
geeji

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2012 7:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Smithcraft wrote:
I keep thinking about this, and I wonder if the slot loading BD drives are thin enough for this?

As mentioned in my post, there is AFAIK no slot load Blu-ray reader or writer with a depth of 9.5mm, only 12.7mm.
So that's unfortunately back to square one : collision between the top of the mainboard and the bottom of the optical drive...
May be some will appear in the future ?...
Smithcraft
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2012 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry! I missed that!

I'm sure in time, there will be a thin enough drive.

SC

[Desktop] Intel mini - 2.16Ghz 2GB 60GB HDD - Newer miniStack v2 500GB - 10.5.8

[Media System] Intel i5 mini - 2.33Ghz 8GB 500GB HDD - 4 x Hitachi 2TB HDD in a qBOX-SF - 10.7.5 (Thanks Phil!)

Make sure it has pins!
geeji

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2012 3:25 am    Post subject: Finally Flashed Optiarc AD-5960S RPC1... Reply with quote

As explained in this thread, although I initially selected the Optiarc AD-5960S drive for its ability to be made region-less, I unfortunately discovered at the end that the OS X version of the Binflash utility would not work on OS X 10.7.2.
I was finally able to overcome this problem (in a very awkward way...) using Boot Camp with Windows 7 and the Win32 GUI version of the Binflash utility.
Ignatzius

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, geeji, excellent write-up. I'd like to do this for a 2011 i5 machine (I have the 2010 case already). Question is, do the i5 models have the second connector on the motherboard for the Optical drive? I've noticed that neither i5 model offers a second HD as a BTO option on the UK store.

Can anyone confirm this?

EDIT: apparently they can: http://www.cultofmac.com/105757/teardown-reveals-new-mac-mini-has-space-for-second-hard-drive-or-an-ssd/

Presumably the old Optical drive connector is still there awaiting a hook-up?

Will be poring over this post tonite...

Ignatzius
gaby

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh this tutorial is great! you made it easy for me to understand it more. great job! thank you so much! a big help! Very Happy
geeji

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2012 12:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ignatzius wrote:
I'd like to do this for a 2011 i5 machine (I have the 2010 case already). Question is, do the i5 models have the second connector on the motherboard for the Optical drive? I've noticed that neither i5 model offers a second HD as a BTO option on the UK store.

Sorry for the late answer, I connect only episodically to 123macmini.com (too little traffic) and forgot to check the "Notify me" reply option.
But I see you have already found the proper source (iFixit) and the proper answer.
Actually, it would have been more costly for Apple to have a different motherboard, with different number of SATA sockets, depending on the possibility of a 2nd drive BTO (server) or not; that's why iFixit was able to offer its "Mac Mini Dual Hard Drive Kit" for all non-server Mac Minis 2011. Note that there is no such thing as an "optical drive connector", this is just a second plain SATA socket, good for any SATA connection (SSD, HD, ODD, ...).
The only reason I put some warning about the i7 vs i5 is that since I did make this upgrade only with an i7 board, I cannot be 100.00% certain that the i5 board does not have a different capacitor protruding at a different place; but it is unlikely, because of the same economic principle which pushed Apple to have almost identical server/non-server motherboards.
And after you do the same ODD upgrade on an i5 Mac Mini, we will know for sure... Very Happy .

gaby wrote:
oh this tutorial is great! you made it easy for me to understand it more. great job! thank you so much! a big help! Very Happy

You are very welcome Very Happy .
If you go that path, let us know if you have any specific difficulties, so that I can upgrade the tutorial. I would love for somebody to report he has found a 9.5mm slot loading Blu-ray drive, but so far, no luck Sad .
Ignatzius

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2012 3:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

geeji wrote:

Sorry for the late answer, I connect only episodically to 123macmini.com (too little traffic) and forgot to check the "Notify me" reply option.
But I see you have already found the proper source (iFixit) and the proper answer... [SNIP]

Merci Geeji pour la réponse exhaustive! Je te maintiens au courant du progrès...

Thanks, Geeji, for the comprehensive reply! I'll keep you up to date with the progress on it...

Ignatzius
geeji

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 12:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, it is finally "possible" to include a Blu-Ray burner instead of a simple Superdrive into the Mac Mini 2011-2010 : using the 9.5mm SATA Matshita UJ-267 Blu-ray burner slot-in drive.
Only catch is its ridiculous high price : $400...
The UJ-167 Blu-ray reader, also sold on eBay by the same seller, and which only reads Blu-rays, is a bit more reasonable (?) : $220.
You can find a test of the UJ-267 here.
infinitespecter

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2012 2:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Smithcraft wrote:
I keep thinking about this, and I wonder if the slot loading BD drives are thin enough for this?

SC

As of a couple months ago Panasonic FINALLY started shipping 9.5mm BD drives to OEMs. Dell, Sony, and others are using them in their Ivy Bridge refreshes and some guys over at Notebook Forum are installing them into everything from MacBooks to HPs. The model for a BD player is Panasonic UJ167. If you want a burner you need the UJ267. If I wasn't broke and waiting for Ivy bridge refresh I would have one now. Heres a link to the eBay seller who everyone I've read about it using.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/9-5mm-SATA-UJ167-blu-ray-player-BD-ROM-slot-in-load-drive-Apple-Macbook-Pro-Dell-/180924585922?pt=US_CD_DVD_Blu_Ray_Drives&hash=item2a1ff217c2
geeji

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 1:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A new BD-XL slot-load, 9.5mm, burner drive : the Pioneer BDR-XU02J.
At the present, only sold as an external USB drive, but likely SATA inside.
Could be an alternative to the ridiculously price Matshita UJ-267... Smile
geeji

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 6:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For those tempted with an internal Blu-ray drive, there is even a native OS X BD player, which, contrary to the MacGo one, does read the BD menus (well, most of them...) : DVDFab Mac Blu-ray Player.
Enjoy !
justbecause

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 12:49 am    Post subject: Doesnt Seem to work on the mini 2012 Reply with quote

I did everything

the drive shows up in system report..... but it wouldn't accept the cd like the electronic door doesn't suck it in, i tried multiple drives even the one out of my new macbook pro late 2012.... all same issue.... i but the super drive in a usb enclosure works via usb.. leave the dvd loaded put it back in the mini, it reports the drive is empty.... yes i tried both sata ports.... hdd works on both sata ports.. seem like apple disables odd support on the sata ports.... i really dont know how...
geeji

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 3:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am very sorry you had such difficulties, it is supposed to be a straightforward hack, except for the mechanical cuts on the ODD.
If the drive shows OK in System Information, it means the electrical and SATA connections work properly, and it seems highly unlikely that Apple would do anything to "disable it"; anyway, I don't even know how they could do it...
The kind of problem you describe (a DVD/CD which cannot be ejected or swallowed) is almost always the consequence of some mechanical problem, not an electrical one.

Let's try to debug it :
1) what kind of Mac Mini did you use ?
2) what OS X version ?
3) what is the exact model of your ODD ?
4) did you order the exact "Cable, Flex, Optical Drive, w/Tape" Apple Part #: 076-1361 (marked "821-0942-A")
5) does the same drive in your USB external enclosure AFTER the cuts, and connected to the same Mac Mini, swallow and eject CD/DVD reliably and repetitively ?
6) did you properly execute Cut#4, Cut#5 and CUT#6 ? (without putting any metal dust into the drive... Wink)
7) are you sure you did not "force" or "flex" too much the ODD while putting back the main board ?
8 ) did you check that there is not any main board component "touching" and "flexing" at any point the ODD case when everything is put together ? (you have to check that "out of the box")

If I had to bet on the most probable cause, I would bet on #7 and #8.
Also, since I did my own hack on a 2011 Mac Mini, any small difference (a more prominent capacitor ?) in Mac Mini 2012 main board may create a new mechanical issue.

Last edited by geeji on Sun Feb 10, 2013 1:24 am; edited 1 time in total
justbecause

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

geeji wrote:
I am very sorry you had such difficulties, it is supposed to be a straightforward hack, except for the mechanical cuts on the ODD.
If the drive shows OK in System Information, it means the electrical and SATA connections work properly, and it seems highly unlikely that Apple would do anything to "disable it"; anyway, I don't even know how they could do it...
The kind of problem you describe (a DVD/CD which cannot be ejected or swallowed) is almost always the consequence of some mechanical problem, not an electrical one.

Let's try to debug it :
1) what kind of Mac Mini did you use ?
2) what OS X version ?
3) what is the exact model of your ODD ?
4) did you order the exact "Cable, Flex, Optical Drive, w/Tape" Apple Part #: 076-1361 (marked "821-1004-A")
5) does the same drive in your USB external enclosure AFTER the cuts, and connected to the same Mac Mini, swallow and eject CD/DVD reliably and repetitively ?
6) did you properly execute Cut#4, Cut#5 and CUT#6 ? (without putting any metal dust into the drive... Wink)
7) are you sure you did not "force" or "flex" too much the ODD while putting back the main board ?
8 ) did you check that there is not any main board component "touching" and "flexing" at any point the ODD case when everything is put together ? (you have to check that "out of the box")

If I had to bet on the most probable cause, I would bet on #7 and #8.
Also, since I did my own hack on a 2011 Mac Mini, any small difference (a more prominent capacitor ?) in Mac Mini 2012 main board may create a new mechanical issue.

1) what kind of Mac Mini did you use ? Late 2012
2) what OS X version ? OSX 10.8/OSX 10.8.2/Windows 7/Windows 8
3) what is the exact model of your ODD ? UJ-8A8 and GS30N Both Work in the USB Fine and in my MacBook Pro Late 2012 Fine.
4) did you order the exact "Cable, Flex, Optical Drive, w/Tape" Apple Part #: 076-1361 (marked "821-1004-A"), Yes Actually I have a 2010 Mini I just swapped the parts and both drive works in the 2010 mini I even tried the 2010 mini drive with everything out on my work bench same problem..
5) does the same drive in your USB external enclosure AFTER the cuts, and connected to the same Mac Mini, swallow and eject CD/DVD reliably and repetitively ? Yes drive works fine before and after mod..
6) did you properly execute Cut#4, Cut#5 and CUT#6 ? (without putting any metal dust into the drive... Wink) again drive still works....
7) are you sure you did not "force" or "flex" too much the ODD while putting back the main board ? no I tried it outside the case and inside the case.... it just wont accept the disc in the drive if you force it half way where it peek out when you reboot it electronically ejects.... i put the drive in the USB enclosure loads the disc and put it back on the SATA it say drive is empty when i try access drive by force it spit out the disc....
8 ) did you check that there is not any main board component "touching" and "flexing" at any point the ODD case when everything is put together ? (you have to check that "out of the box") I'm a tech since 1998.... this is rather a new puzzle to me in all my years of work....

I tried a HDD in a DVD to HDD Caddy and that works fine... just NO ODD works...

See Pics

geeji

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 2:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

justbecause wrote:
I'm a tech since 1998.... this is rather a new puzzle to me in all my years of work....

I tried a HDD in a DVD to HDD Caddy and that works fine... just NO ODD works...

Sorry if my questions were kind of insulting for an experienced tech, that was not my purpose, I was just trying to establish a clearer baseline.

At that point, we have identified only those differences (you vs me) between our 2 systems :
1) Mac Mini late 2012 instead or Mid 2011
2) OS X 10.8 or 10.8.2 instead of OS X 10.7
3) Matshita UJ-8A8 or Hitachi-LG GS30N instead of Sony Optiarc AD-5960S

Since the drive is recognized (both types), on Windows 7 as well as OS X 10.8.2, a hardware connection issue or ODD hardware incompatibility issue seems extremely unlikely.
So we are back to a software issue, which would affect disk swallowing & volume mounting but NOT drive recognition.
And this must be a low level software issue, or a Mac boot firmware issue, since both Windows/Bootcamp and OS X suffer from the same problem.

It could be a SMC issue, but normally it has been automatically reset when you unplugged and opened your Mac Mini for inserting the ODD within.
Anyway, just in case, I would take out the PRAM button battery from the logic board, wait 10s, then put it back.

At that point, I would suggest you also reinstall OS X 10.8 (on a separate disk if you can) from a GENERIC Mountain Lion Install Image, since Mountain Lion DOES support ODD on systems other than the Mac Mini with the same chipset.
But that may not be feasible, since according to some posts I saw, the 2012 Mac Mini uses a "special version of 10.8.2" (advanced ?), different from the generic one on the App Store.
The coming 10.8.3 update (beta is available) will hopefully be able to install its generic version onto the 2012 Mac Mini (?).
If you have access to the beta, that may be worth a try.
If you don't, I would attempt anyway a clean reinstall of Mountain Lion 10.8.2 Combo, just in case.

I very much doubt Apple did anything to prevent this hack (you may be the second person attempting it... Wink), so anything that happened must be fortuitous, just because Apple did not test the 2012 Mac Mini with an internal ODD, for the obvious reason.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Mini Upgrading All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5

Jump to: