123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Still using 10.5.8 - OK?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac OS X
View previous topic :: View next topic  
strawbale

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 4:44 am    Post subject: Still using 10.5.8 - OK? Reply with quote

We've got 2 mid-2007 MMs in the house (both 2 GHz, 2 GB, 120 GB) still running 10.5.8 with no major problems (apart from occassional unresponsiveness of Excel 2011 for Mac). Hence intending to use them until they break down Wink *

Is there any urgent/real need to upgrade to SL (whilst still possible) and even Lion - read something about security reasons?

*) Partially because replacing them would make the 3 external FW400 HDs useless Sad
Smithcraft
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm still using 10.4.11, and I'm not really worried about it.

You can still use the FW400 externals with a adapter cable on a new mini.

SC

[Desktop] Intel mini - 2.16Ghz 2GB 60GB HDD - Newer miniStack v2 500GB - 10.5.8

[Media System] Intel i5 mini - 2.33Ghz 8GB 500GB HDD - 4 x Hitachi 2TB HDD in a qBOX-SF - 10.7.5 (Thanks Phil!)

Make sure it has pins!
strawbale

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Smithcraft, good to know that!
DrakkenWar

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 1:24 am    Post subject: Agreed. Reply with quote

Unless you have a reason to upgrade. I use 10.5.8 on my PB daily. I only made the upgrade to connect with my iPhone 3GS when I am away from my 2011 mini.

Now if there was only iCloud support like in SL? I would be golden. Though I hope there is a 2009 17" MBP in my near future.

~Drake

" Live Free Or Die" -New Hampshire
----------------------------------------------------------
(2011 i7Mini/i7/4GB/10.7.4)
(2005 PB/15"/1.5/2GB/10.5.Cool
(iPhone 3GS/16GB/iOS 5.1.5)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Bandit Bill
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would highly recommend getting yourself a copy of Snow Leopard, even if you don't install it. I can almost guarantee that you'll end up regretting not getting it in the future. Every day I see people coming into my computer store trying to purchase copies of Leopard which Apple has discontinued. They are now selling online for as much as $200.

Likely Apple will discontinue selling snow leopard at some point and you won't be able to get it either. You can have a copy of Snow Leopard mailed to you for $29. Apple has already discontinued selling them to retail stores. As an Apple authorized reseller we were buying them, so people could pick them up in store. Apple cut us off and Apple won't even sell them to us anymore.
macmanmacman
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2012 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

True and with the latest security update for leopard it removes the older versions of flash player which makes it a pain to get online
Smallwheels

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm very happy with 10.5.8 and didn't upgrade. Now I just might have to because I want to run Linux. Parallels isn't available for 10.5.8. It only works with 10.6 or newer. I haven't bought it yet but probably will.

This Mac will be with me for a while longer too until I absolutely must upgrade.

Is there a way to get iWork '09 used and not violate any terms of service? I might want a copy of that too since I won't be buying Lion or Mountain Lion for my current computer. Apple has the nerve to sell iWork 09 for $79 when they're selling the downloadable '11 for $9.99 for each section of it.

Smallwheels
macmanmacman
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2012 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually you cannot get i work for 9.99 any more it's now 19.99 each piece from the app store which makes it 60.00 now i would just look online for a new copy through amazon or even ebay but you still might need 10.6 because of the latest update to icloud support on i work.

All though i really do like 10.5 leopard a lot of software no longer works on it any more you cannot install ilife any more adobe flash player is going bye bye at the end of december for leopard from adobes site so it kinda forces you to upgrade and your externals will still function in snow leopard just might have issues in lion
mdgm

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 3:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Along with updating to Snow Leopard you might want to consider a 4GB (2x2GB) RAM upgrade. Though only 3.3GB is addressable you may find it helps. Try out Snow Leopard without a RAM upgrade first though.
2011 Mini Server
NAS - 10 x ReadyNAS units
strawbale

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apologies for getting back so late: just ordered the SL family pack (24 euros) from Apple Store France (where I live).

BTW: noticed that Google Chrome has ceased updates for Leopard - another reason for moving to SL (sooner or later), I guess.
strawbale

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 5:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

macmanmacman wrote:
All though i really do like 10.5 leopard a lot of software no longer works on it any more you cannot install ilife any more adobe flash player is going bye bye at the end of december for leopard from adobes site so it kinda forces you to upgrade and your externals will still function in snow leopard just might have issues in lion

SL finally arrived (yesterday), but hesitant to install when I started reading problems with FW and TM after people had upgraded from 10.5.8
Does anyone know whether these (initial?) issues have been resolved by now (i.e. 10.6.3 DVD + updating to 10.6.8 )? As I use TM and two (Freecom) FW400 ext HDs for backups...

Last edited by strawbale on Tue Oct 16, 2012 6:46 am; edited 1 time in total
Fox
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 6:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had Snow Leopard on my 2009 mini for at least a year (until Lion came out), and had no FW or TM problems. Actually I had SL on several Macs and didn't experience these problems on any of them. And I did upgrade religiously to every new point version.

Speaking of Snow Leopard, does anyone know whether Apple has given a date beyond which they will stop issuing security updates for it?
strawbale

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 6:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And a more general question from me-as-a-newbie: how insecure is het to stick with 10.5.8 or, down the line, 10.6.8 anyway?
Smithcraft
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the spirit of a good defense is a good offense -

How is your security? Are you using the built in Unix grade security features? Are you suing a OpenDNS at your router, instead of your ISP DNS? Do you look at URLs before you click on them?

SC

[Desktop] Intel mini - 2.16Ghz 2GB 60GB HDD - Newer miniStack v2 500GB - 10.5.8

[Media System] Intel i5 mini - 2.33Ghz 8GB 500GB HDD - 4 x Hitachi 2TB HDD in a qBOX-SF - 10.7.5 (Thanks Phil!)

Make sure it has pins!
strawbale

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have to be honest here:
Don't know; Which ones are you referring to; Probably not; Yes (most of the time...)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac OS X All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: