123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Front Row with Mountain Lion?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Mini HTPC
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jason H

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 12:52 pm    Post subject: Front Row with Mountain Lion? Reply with quote

Sorry if this question is out of left field, but I'm wondering about running Front Row with Mountain Lion. Will this be possible at all? I sort of lost track with it's ability to be hacked for Lion.
saul

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doesn't look good. It crashes immediately.
macmanmacman
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 5:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

isn't going to happen
Y-Guy

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've heard from folks that had FR working on Lion that they didn't get it working on ML as they had previously. I think you need to move on.

I was really bothered by losing FrontRow when I moved to Lion. If I didn't need the iCloud for work/home/phone calendar I would have stayed with Snow. That said I began to play with Plex and XBMC and now I can't imagine going back to FrontRow after getting XBMC working and understanding it. Now I use my old Apple TV1 and I hate the interface but I haven't hacked it yet to intsall XBMC on it (yet).

I use my Mini as a server for my main TV as well as an AppleTV1. I turned off letting iTunes manage my files, once I move them to the folder XBMC finds them and grabs the background/show info, then I manually add to iTunes so it's then synced to the AppleTV1 and the shows are accessible to our iPad through XBMC or iTunes. It's an extra step but not a big deal I've found after a year now.
Jason H

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 5:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I've since moved on to XBMC. I'm also thinking about getting an Apple TV to use as a Front Row replacement or front end. I just miss the darn thing. I think it was stupid of Apple to take it out without a replacement. Heck, offer it as a standalone app in the App Store. I would pay $4.99 for the thing in a heartbeat.
Dino1956
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree! I loved Front Row & I miss it. I have the new Apple TV, but when I'm on my iMac, I still miss it. Just tried using the Front Row enabler for Lion. I have Mountain Lion. It does not Open.
Power Mac G5 1.8 GHz
Apple TV 3rd Gen
Time Capsule 1st Gen 2TB

http://www.soundclick.com/members/default.cfm?member=Dino1956
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
curt
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 1:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dino1956 wrote:
I agree! I loved Front Row & I miss it. I have the new Apple TV, but when I'm on my iMac, I still miss it. Just tried using the Front Row enabler for Lion. I have Mountain Lion. It does not Open.

Yeah, it was great for playing music and stuff. It just made for a nice and simple front end to iTunes. Even while I was still using Plex and XBMC. It also gave purpose to the Apple Remote and the IR port.
geeji

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 3:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One solution (which I have not tested yet) could be to use Parallels to have a virtual Snow Leopard (64 bits) under Mountain Lion (64 bits).
As long as the iTunes and videos libraries are accessible from the virtual Snow Leopard, Front Row should continue to work as before.
However, I have no idea what could be the video performance impact on the latest Mac, which shipped natively with Mountain Lion.
Also, the latest iTunes music libraries have AFAIK a format incompatible with Front Row.
And there is some gimmickry to perform to make Parallels believe it virtualizes Snow Leopard SERVER, and NOT Client.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Mini HTPC All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: