123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Mountain Lion Now Available From Mac App Store
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews
View previous topic :: View next topic  
admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 10:21 am    Post subject: Mountain Lion Now Available From Mac App Store Reply with quote

Mountain Lion Now Available From Mac App Store
Wednesday, July 25, 2012
Posted by: Staff

Apple today announced the release of OS X Mountain Lion from the Mac App Store. With more than 200 innovative new features, Mountain Lion includes iCloud integration, the all new Messages app, Notification Center, system-wide Sharing, Facebook integration, Dictation, AirPlay Mirroring and Game Center. It's available as an upgrade from Lion or Snow Leopard for $19.99.

"People are going to love the new features in Mountain Lion and how easy it is to download and install from the Mac App Store," said Philip Schiller, Apple's senior vice president of Worldwide Marketing. "With iCloud integration, Mountain Lion is even easier to set up, and your important information stays up to date across all your devices so you can keep editing documents, taking notes, creating reminders, and continue conversations whether you started on a Mac, iPhone or iPad."

With more than 200 innovative new features, Mountain Lion includes:

- iCloud integration, for easy set up of your Mail, Contacts, Calendar, Messages, Reminders and Notes, and keeping everything, including iWork documents, up to date across all your devices.

- The all new Messages app, which replaces iChat and brings iMessage to the Mac, so you can send messages to anyone with an iPhone, iPad, iPod touch or another Mac.

- Notification Center, which streamlines the presentation of notifications and provides easy access to alerts from Mail, Calendar, Messages, Reminders, system updates and third party app.

- System-wide Sharing, to make it easy to share links, photos, videos and other files quickly without having to switch to another app, and you just need to sign in once to use third-party services like Facebook, Twitter, Flickr and Vimeo.

- Facebook integration, so you can post photos, links and comments with locations right from your apps, automatically add your Facebook friends to your Contacts, and even update your Facebook status from within Notification Center.

- Dictation, which allows you to dictate text anywhere you can type, whether you’re using an app from Apple or a third party developer.

- AirPlay Mirroring, an easy way to wirelessly send an up-to-1080p secure stream of what's on your Mac to an HDTV using Apple TV, or send audio to a receiver or speakers that use AirPlay.

- Game Center, which brings the popular social gaming network from iOS to the Mac so you can enjoy live, multiplayer games with friends whether they’re on a Mac, iPhone, iPad or iPod touch.

Additional features in Mountain Lion include the revolutionary new Gatekeeper, which makes downloading software from the Internet safer; Power Nap, which automatically updates your apps and system while your Mac is asleep; and a faster Safari browser. New features for China include significantly improved text input, a new Chinese Dictionary, easy setup with popular email providers, Baidu search in Safari, and built-in sharing to Sina Weibo and popular video websites Youku and Tudou.

More information about Mountain Lion and its system requirements can be found here.

http://www.123macmini.com/news/story/1857.html
macmanmacman
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Been on it sense march nice o.s tons of features if you have a iphone and a ipad you will wonder what you did without it
g5g5
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sure it's nice, but I've decided to wait a couple weeks.
iLife's a Bitch!
Rightondamark

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My download was so slow. It took almost two and a half hours.

I am pretty impressed with ML so far. The notifications are pretty cool and Safari 6 is an absolute speed demon! Everything actually feels a little quicker. Time will only tell if it's from the fresh install and reboots though.
Grasshopper

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Loving the AirPlay mirroring. I also didn't realize that you could now set the entire system audio to output with AirPlay. I think that basically does away with the need for AirFoil. Which actually costs $5 more than Mountain Lion. I also like the Notification Center, Safari and iMessage. So needless to say, I'm rather pleased the update. It definitely think that it feels more polished than Lion. I do wish that Apple would tone down some of the skeumorphs though. That part is getting a little out of hand.
24" HP LCD
Apple wireless keyboard and Magic Mouse
2 x 1TB MiniStacks
1TB MiniStack Max
RickB

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It may not be revolutionary, but it's very good. I think it's well worth $20 dollars. The Airplay features also have me craving a new Apple TV all of a sudden. I didn't ever really feel that way before, but I do now. So here's my $100 dollars. I hate you Apple! Just shut up and take my money. Laughing
devo
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just started to download it now. Here's hoping for a smooth upgrade once it's done.
Fox
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I downloaded it without problem and the installation took under 40 minutes. I notice a few nice small improvements - faster startup time, faster Safari, and some nice new desktop backgrounds. I may now turn from Firefox to Safari as my browser of choice. The Notes and Reminders apps might turn out to be useful; they look potentially interesting.

I tried the new Dictation. I like the idea, but found it difficult to use it to enter urls in Safari. Half the time a dictated "." would be entered as "dot".

Last edited by Fox on Wed Jul 25, 2012 10:12 pm; edited 1 time in total
ESUNintel

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did anyone submit a claim through Apple for an upgrade on a recently purchased computer? If so, how long did it take them to validate and email the code? I thought the validation would be quick, especially for hardware purchased directly from Apple - but I'm still waiting.

...at least it's not like the old days with Windows, where the request was done via mail and we had to wait for a disk.
caulktel

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I upgraded my MBP and my 2011 Mini to ML, both seem fine. I wonder if this will fix FaceTime, it was useless before with the crackly audio problem. Safari has never been faster though, however I still use Firefox. I need to find out all the other "improvements".
iPhone 4S 16GB
Texark

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 3:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fox wrote:
The Notes and Reminders apps might turn out to be useful; they look potentially interesting.

I like how they sync with iOS too. I also like that you can drop just about anything into Notes. Look at tip number 4 on this page. I found it to be a handy one.

http://gizmodo.com/5927862/os-x-mountain-lions-best-11-tricks-video-guide

caulktel wrote:
I need to find out all the other "improvements".

You might look at the link above. It has some handy tips for some of the new stuff.
WheelSpinners
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 12:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's way better than Lion from a feature standpoint. I don't notice any performance gains though. Even Safari feels about the same to me.
castaway

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A seemingly stable, but underwhelming update. I would sort of like to go back to the days of more expensive updates. A time when Apple truly moved this desktop operating system forward.

JMHO
Grasshopper

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2012 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A small complaint, but I'm not crazy about the new dock. I think it's harder to tell which apps you have open now. Does anyone else here feel the same way?
24" HP LCD
Apple wireless keyboard and Magic Mouse
2 x 1TB MiniStacks
1TB MiniStack Max
Bandit Bill
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2012 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grasshopper wrote:
A small complaint, but I'm not crazy about the new dock. I think it's harder to tell which apps you have open now. Does anyone else here feel the same way?

It gets worse every time.

There are programs like Candybar that let you change the look.
Likely just a Terminal Command to make the dock transparent will do the trick.

I haven't look this stuff up for ML, so your on your own if you want to change it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: