123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

2012 Mac mini - What will make you pull the Trigger?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Mini
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Top reason to buy new mini
USB 3.0
50%
 50%  [ 3 ]
Comes with Mountain Lion
16%
 16%  [ 1 ]
Been waiting too long - want something new.
16%
 16%  [ 1 ]
Need something faster
16%
 16%  [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 6

saul

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 12:34 pm    Post subject: 2012 Mac mini - What will make you pull the Trigger? Reply with quote

Other than wanting the latest and greatest, what would influence you enough to buy one?
Bandit Bill
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It would probably take my old mini dying to get a new one. My 1.83 GHz C2D is being used for home theater and it meets that need just fine. My G4 mini is in the office and if works fine for word processing etc.

After owning a retina display iPad likely I'd only consider retina display products for future purchases. I question if a future Mac mini will have what it takes to drive a future retina display.

Likely I'll be replacing my iMac (living room/kitchen/ dining area) with a rumored retina display iMac before I buy another mini, I find it to be a nicer general use computer.

That being said if Apple redesigns the mini in a manner that makes it appealing to replace my HTPC mini (theater room) I'd consider it, but updates to iOS 6 and my Apple tv might fill that gap as well, especially if jailbreaks are available.

It's funny the more I write this post, the more I think about what appealed to me about the Mac mini in the first place. It is an extremely versatile unit. It's only because I have purchased just about all of Apple's product line since, that I don't need the same versatility any longer.
blazer
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm probably going to buy one of the new ones and put this one (2009 model) on Craigslist. It will take USB 3.0 and another TB port to close the deal though. There's little doubt in my mind that it will be faster and include Mountain Lion. Which with the pricing of OS upgrades these days, has become a lesser reason to upgrade systems. I would most definitely be upgrading from a Mac that didn't support Mountain Lion though. No question about that one.
2.5GHz Core i5 Mac mini (2011)
24" Dell LCD & 42" Sharp TV
EyeTV 250 Plus
1G, 2G, 3G, 4G and 5G iPod nanos
16GB 3G iPhone
Dinshaw

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bandit Bill wrote:
After owning a retina display iPad likely I'd only consider retina display products for future purchases. I question if a future Mac mini will have what it takes to drive a future retina display.

I actually have my doubts about an Ivy Bridge based iMac powering that many pixels. No matter what video card they use in the next model. What screen resolution would that even be on a 27" model?
smeghead76

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As im ready and waiting to purchase a new mac mini the only thing that would stop me from getting a new 2012 model is if it doesnt come out by the time i need it.
Smithcraft
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

An ODD.

SC

[Desktop] Intel mini - 2.16Ghz 2GB 60GB HDD - Newer miniStack v2 500GB - 10.5.8

[Media System] Intel i5 mini - 2.33Ghz 8GB 500GB HDD - 4 x Hitachi 2TB HDD in a qBOX-SF - 10.7.5 (Thanks Phil!)

Make sure it has pins!
Bandit Bill
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dinshaw wrote:
Bandit Bill wrote:

I actually have my doubts about an Ivy Bridge based iMac powering that many pixels. No matter what video card they use in the next model. What screen resolution would that even be on a 27" model?

I don't know what the pixel count would need to be, but the 15" retina has 5,184,000 pixels vs. 3,686,400 on a 27" iMac and 2,073,600 on a 21.5" iMac, so there is definitely room for improvement even with today's technology. I'm sure 1.5 - 3 million extra pixels on an iMac (or Thunderbolt Display) would look fantastic, especially on a 21.5" model.

Apple has sort of painted themselves in a corner with the term retina display. I'd be happy to see a 5 million pixel count iMac even if some uber geek with 20/10 vision claimed he could distinguish an individual pixel.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Mini All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: