123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Need some help please with a new/used iPad

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> iPhone, iPod touch and iPad
View previous topic :: View next topic  
macmanmacman
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 4:34 am    Post subject: Need some help please with a new/used iPad Reply with quote

Ok let me explain this in a little more detail.

I went to my local gamestop and purchased a 16 gig iPad for 289.99 not a bad price i thought but the deal go better and better gamestop gave me a 50.00 itunes card for free for purchasing the ipad i dont really care about having a camera on the ipad so i purchased the ipad 1

Here are my questions and concerns.

1. how long does it take a ipad 1 to charge and will it charge via usb charger without it being on or if i turn the ipad off will it stop charging the device while it is off.

Thats my only concern any one know
Cypher
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The iPad will charge via usb but is much slower than via the dedicated iPad charger. When plugged into a standard USB type charger or into a computer USB port the iPad will say its not charging but it is just slowly. {edit}BTW If you leave the iPad turned on and in use when its charging this way it takes forever to charge, so its best not to use it whilst its charging like this {edit}

I tend to use the dedicated iPad charger and charge my iPad over night when the iPad is in sleep. (i.e turned off but not shutdown)

Mac Mini 2.53GHz - iMac 2.0Ghz - Macbook Pro 2.4GHz - iPad 1 32GB 3G
6TB Netgear Ready NAS NV+ - 6TB Drobo S

Last edited by Cypher on Sun Jul 22, 2012 2:34 pm; edited 1 time in total
devo
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It takes like 4-5 hours to fully charge our iPad 1 with the dedicated charger. If you go through USB on a computer or lesser charger (wattage wise), you're probably looking at 3x that time.

My iPad charging habits are the same as what Cypher mentioned. 98% of the time it charges overnight in sleep mode. Unless it totally loses power before I have a chance to plug it in.

Oh well, congrats and have fun with your new toy!
macmanmacman
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for the information on the charging of the ipad i found out your right it charges better while in sleep mode or off mode thank you very much
ChevroletChap

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ditto. If itís directly charge to its dedicated charger itíll be around 4 to 6 hours. If itís through the USB/computer, itíll take longer, around 15 hours I think. Itíll save power and time if you do use its own charger directly.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> iPhone, iPod touch and iPad All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: