123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Mac Mini or CPU Upgrade?

 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Desktops
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
onetruth
New Member
New Member


Joined: 08 Jan 2006
Posts: 15

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2006 12:38 am    Post subject: Mac Mini or CPU Upgrade? Reply with quote

Hi All,

I currently have a G4 AGP with the following specs:

OS: Tiger
CPU: 500 Mhz
Mem: 1.25 GB
HD: 2 x 16 GB SCSI and 1 X 40 GB IDE
GFX: GeForce FX 5200 128 Mb
ATA: NEC Dual Layer DVD RW

I am currently struggling with either selling my G4 and buying a Mac Mini or Purchasing a CPU upgrade. Perhaps >= 1.2Ghz from Sonnet or Powerlogix.

Could you all help me with my decision? Currenlty my G4 is adequate for my daily use.. Surfing, Burning CDs, Mail, GIMP, etc., but it tends to beach ball when iTunes is burning a disc.

Thnx Smile
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Susurrus
Veteran Member
Veteran Member


Joined: 05 May 2005
Posts: 1303
Location: Providence, Rhode Island

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2006 1:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How much is the upgrade? I'm under the impression that they're like $150-200, but I don't stay up to date on them. I think you should wait a couple days until Macworld and then see if anything tickles your fancy afterwards.

Considering the general agedness of your system, I would recommend a full system upgrade. You could leave that as a headless server running VNC and shove some more HDs in it and you'd have the perfect setup.
_________________
Computer Engineer
Junior, Brown University
15" NC8430 HP Laptop
1.42Ghz PPC Mac Mini, 1Gb RAM, 1st Gen
40GB G4 iPod
2GB Black iPod Nano
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
onetruth
New Member
New Member


Joined: 08 Jan 2006
Posts: 15

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2006 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually if you want anything over 1Ghz you'd have to pay 250.00 up. Yeah I fully intend on waiting for what's revealed next week.

Not really a fan of having a headless computer connected via VNC. If it's headless I use a terminal.

I appreciate your input. Smile

Thnx.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Desktops All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum



      

Shop:  Apple Store  |  Refurbished Macs  |  Refurbished iPads  |  MacConnection  |  Mac Mini Vault  |  Other World Computing

MK 1 Studio Mac mini Racks  |  Crucial Mac Memory  |  Top Free Mac Apps  |  Top Paid Mac Apps



123Macmini.com is an independent publication and has not been authorized, sponsored, or approved by Apple Computer, Inc.
All logos and trademarks in this site are property of their respective owners.
Copyright © 2011 123Macmini.com. All Rights Reserved.