123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Do updates through Mac App Store take precedence?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac OS X
View previous topic :: View next topic  
aquaman
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 11:20 pm    Post subject: Do updates through Mac App Store take precedence? Reply with quote

Do iLife apps, iWork apps and Aperture take total precedence for updating through the Mac App Store now? It doesn't seem like anything shows up for me in SU anymore. I know they have in the past with Lion so it almost seems like inconstant behavior.
macmanmacman
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2012 11:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It will be more consistent in Mountain Lion because everything updates through the app store and it updates much much faster i love having the app store on icloud servers (oops Said to much) -*)
ez061111
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2012 12:26 am    Post subject: Re: Do updates through Mac App Store take precedence? Reply with quote

aquaman wrote:
Do iLife apps, iWork apps and Aperture take total precedence for updating through the Mac App Store now? It doesn't seem like anything shows up for me in SU anymore. I know they have in the past with Lion so it almost seems like inconstant behavior.

I bought Aperture in a box so it still updates the standard way for me. I would surmise that currently only applications purchased via App store update via App store at this point.
3.5GHz 6C MP, D700s
macmanmacman
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2012 4:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

not in mountain lion everything updates in the app store which i have to admit is not good if you purchased a disk version of aperture i purchased aperture through the app store updates have been nice and installing well but i wish i had it on disk and a lot more hard drive space i would really like to use aperture more with my photography it kinda sucks being trained in black and white photography but not being able to use your skills.
ez061111
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2012 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

macmanmacman wrote:
not in mountain lion everything updates in the app store which i have to admit is not good if you purchased a disk version of aperture i purchased aperture through the app store updates have been nice and installing well but i wish i had it on disk and a lot more hard drive space i would really like to use aperture more with my photography it kinda sucks being trained in black and white photography but not being able to use your skills.

Um. The App store is to blame for you not being able to use your black and white skills?

I am certain that I do not follow your logic, but having the App store update instead of the current Software Update makes no difference to me: I'm actually more surprised it's taken this long to be unified.
3.5GHz 6C MP, D700s
macmanmacman
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2012 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you cannot update cd based programs in the app store only app store purchased content even in mountain lion so you cannot update aperture cd with the app store so you have to manually download the update from apple and install it yourself because it wont download the update through the app store thats where mountain lion sucks
billb
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2012 4:41 pm    Post subject: AppFresh Reply with quote

AppFresh to the rescue.
Mac mini, Model 1.1, 2.33 GHz C2D Proc
20" iMac G4 PPC
fiat

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bill, Thanks for the AppFresh link. I went and downloaded/installed AF. I also registered at IuseThis.com for my profile. I have run AF and browsed AF site a bit, but couldn't find any user info (e.g., user manual, etc) and got little idea what/how AF can help me update my apps? example: 1. how do I know which app in the available list (for updating) I am using and should update right away? 2. I tried one of the available list (adobe reader) and it downloaded completely (for a bit long time), but install failed (say: need installer). What's going? ...

Appreciate your help/hint/tip on how to use AF. Thanks
billb
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 7:35 pm    Post subject: AppFresh Adobe Updating Roulette Reply with quote

When I used AppFresh it successfully updates
App's that I didn't know needed updating.
I also had a similar experience to you trying
to update Adobe Apps. I've also had Adobe
Apps fail to update even when doing it on the
Adobe web site.

The thing to do is let AppFreah do the majority
of your updating and the few that are't successful
go to that Apps web site.

I've also had Apps fail to update on Apples AppStore
site in their Update Section..........go figure.
Mac mini, Model 1.1, 2.33 GHz C2D Proc
20" iMac G4 PPC
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac OS X All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: