123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What External Hard Drive Can i use with the new Mac mini

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Mini
View previous topic :: View next topic  
marv777
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 10:46 pm    Post subject: What External Hard Drive Can i use with the new Mac mini Reply with quote

I have the 2011 Mac mini what EHD can you recommend me to use? Thanks I own the 500HD model. Question
Smithcraft
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2012 12:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any one that you can connect.

SC

[Desktop] Intel mini - 2.16Ghz 2GB 60GB HDD - Newer miniStack v2 500GB - 10.5.8

[Media System] Intel i5 mini - 2.33Ghz 8GB 500GB HDD - 4 x Hitachi 2TB HDD in a qBOX-SF - 10.7.5 (Thanks Phil!)

Make sure it has pins!
marv777
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 4:24 am    Post subject: Is this essential to have an EHD Reply with quote

Thanks for your answer. Do you think it is essential for me to have an EHD?
Fox
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 6:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You probably want to have one as a backup, even if the 500 gb of your main drive is large enough to hold all your apps and files. One option for backup is to buy a Time Capsule from Apple, but if you already have a wireless router, there are much cheaper options. If and when you get an external, you can set it to do Time Machine backups, which not only saves your files and settings, but allows you to restore files you changed or deleted. If you are buying a drive to do Time Machine backups, I suggest you buy one at least 1gb capacity.
marv777
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fox wrote:
You probably want to have one as a backup, even if the 500 gb of your main drive is large enough to hold all your apps and files. One option for backup is to buy a Time Capsule from Apple, but if you already have a wireless router, there are much cheaper options. If and when you get an external, you can set it to do Time Machine backups, which not only saves your files and settings, but allows you to restore files you changed or deleted. If you are buying a drive to do Time Machine backups, I suggest you buy one at least 1gb capacity.
Thanks but I really worried about brownouts which happen here. I just moved to the Philippines a few daysthat is why.
curt
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 1:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the D2 externals from LaCie. I would just look around for something that is at least 1TB and FireWire 800. That will give you the best performance and enough space to backup with Time Machine or CCC. You might also look into a decent UPS with all of the brownouts in your area. Something like over 250 watts to be safe. I mean, that's going to be hard on your Mac mini's power supply over the long run.
DonCarlos

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 2:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I like the D2 externals from LaCie

+1 Cool
EXT. HD:Lacie D2Quadra-1TB and WD Studio 2TB
Sometimes wish this mac would crash, or screw up or break, so I can get a newer one and upgrade my OS , but "Oh Well".
marv777
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 10:25 pm    Post subject: EHD Reply with quote

DonCarlos wrote:
Quote:
I like the D2 externals from LaCie

+1 Cool
What do you mean hard on the Mac mini in the long run? Please explain briefly Thanks
curt
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 11:15 am    Post subject: Re: EHD Reply with quote

marv777 wrote:
What do you mean hard on the Mac mini in the long run? Please explain briefly Thanks

A sudden loss of power can cause hardware issues and data loss. You're better off having a steady flow of power to your Mac mini. They might not get you this time, but the next time might be another story. Those power fluctuations are hard on your computer's power supply. I also wouldn't doubt that you are more susceptible to power surges in your area. But both of these issues can be easily addressed with a average UPS. I mean, it's going to protect your investment and data.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Mini All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: