123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Apple bows out of program for environment-minded products

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> General Mac Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ez061111
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2012 11:27 pm    Post subject: Apple bows out of program for environment-minded products Reply with quote

Interesting news as CNET reports that Apple has ended their current campaign to appear green.
3.5GHz 6C MP, D700s
ez061111
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OOOPS!, we realize now that our sales could potentially be hurt, we are super green now! Smile
3.5GHz 6C MP, D700s
Smithcraft
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2012 12:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apple never ended their green program. They just bowed out of EPEAT. The iDea that they suddenly are not green is blown out of proportion by iDiots in the media.

SC

[Desktop] Intel mini - 2.16Ghz 2GB 60GB HDD - Newer miniStack v2 500GB - 10.5.8

[Media System] Intel i5 mini - 2.33Ghz 8GB 500GB HDD - 4 x Hitachi 2TB HDD in a qBOX-SF - 10.7.5 (Thanks Phil!)

Make sure it has pins!
ez061111
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2012 12:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Funny reply! You can't honestly believe that...Apple didn't appear to as they rejoined EPEAT.
3.5GHz 6C MP, D700s
Smithcraft
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2012 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What part do I honestly not believe?

That Apple has never ended being green?

Or

That they bowed out of EPEAT, then rejoined it when it didn't work out for them in sales?

Or

That iDiots in the media don't know what they are talking about and want to hype things to raise their ratings?

SC

[Media System] Intel i5 mini - 2.33Ghz 8GB 500GB HDD - 4 x Hitachi 2TB HDD in a qBOX-SF - 10.7.5 (Thanks Phil!)

Make sure it has pins!
ez061111
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2012 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Or

Apple nor any of the other computer makers are green. This is simply marketing, fact. They may be somewhat or even arguably much cleaner, but a computer company by definition utilizes or generates by-products of some pretty filthy stuff that is neither green or non-detrimental to the environment.

With the added purposeful use of glues to make them difficult or possibly financially impossible to recycle and non-serviceable parts (even by the producer) they get deeper into the need to show how "green" they are. By doing this they are, contrary to what SC thinks, moving farther away from "green" in my opinion. The sustainability of greenness or what ever goofy marketing term you want to use is in direct contradiction of the margins that Apple and the others protect. To grow they need to sell more units to those of us in the USA and China.

This has nothing do with with media, just their duty to report that which they or we deem reportable.

Bandit Bill,ISO production standards have been and continue to be a part of my for the last 15 years. Being ISO, EPEAT, etc. certified proves nothing or certifies nothing other than you have been certified. ISO et al have nothing to do with quality: simply a tool to get people to believe how fabulous your processes are. Tons of jumping through hoops, but end result is a form of marketing...deemed by many necessary to compete.

Agree 100% about EPEAT, just funny that Apple is basically acknowledging with their flip-flop that the currently outdated standards are a necessary part of their marketing.

The funny thing is as a shareholder for almost 2 decades, I appreciate the work they have done in the last several years to continue to pass along value to me, the shareholder, with their marketing campaigns. But bottom line it's smoke and mirrors.
3.5GHz 6C MP, D700s
macmanmacman
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 1:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What a bunch of bull you say that apple isn't green is a lie they resell and refurbish items if thats not green then i dont know what is epeat isn't involved in recycling there involved in telling computer manufactures you have to have a power supply that is small in watts and less power consumption which is bull because ibm's don't follow this at all at 1000 watts the average ibm uses more voltage then a mac mini
ez061111
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

macmanmacman wrote:
What a bunch of bull you say that apple isn't green is a lie

Hook, line and sinker!
3.5GHz 6C MP, D700s
Bandit Bill
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One thing I don't get is why the battery gluing is such a big deal. It allows less parts to be used and all that is needed is a heat gun to separate the battery.

Sorry ez, I deleted my ISO comment before you replied. I didn't want to bore people.

I personally think Apple does a good job of trying to be green. There are things they can still improve upon and they will.

I'd have to make a effort to get the packaging from my old greyscale iPod, but if I do, I'll take a photo of it next to current iPod packaging. It's probably 10 times the size.
Smithcraft
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since ez is now telling me what I think, I'm out of this 'conversation.'

SC

Make sure it has pins!
Bandit Bill
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Smithcraft wrote:

SC

I believe ez's goal was to engage the conversation further by contrasting his opinion with yours. I don't believe any ill will was intended.

Did Apple make an official statement as to why they withdrew from the program? I don't believe so.
ez061111
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bandit Bill wrote:
Smithcraft wrote:

SC

I believe ez's goal was to engage the conversation further by contrasting his opinion with yours. I don't believe any ill will was intended.

Did Apple make an official statement as to why they withdrew from the program? I don't believe so.

BB is correct, no offense intended. My apologies if this is how it was interpreted.

I would guess, as has been guessed by many before me, that they withdrew as they may anticipate getting downgraded. My understanding of EPEAT as with other certifications is that you can certify processes and other once you get accreditation, but when audits are done by the regulator(s) then you may lose certifications. There appears to be more and more discussion that the newer Apple products may in fact lose it. We'll see what the future brings.
3.5GHz 6C MP, D700s
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> General Mac Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: