123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

How to lower the heat on my mini?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Mini
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AT0MAC

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2012 11:44 am    Post subject: How to lower the heat on my mini? Reply with quote

In the summer heat my mini sometimes goes bananas and skyrockets it's fan to warp speed = seriously noisy.

It usually happens when I work with video editing or play games.
Normally its audible in those conditions but not annoying like now.

When I use it for daily stuff, writing, listening, browsing etc. it's dead quiet.

I have the 2011 version with DualCore i7 and AMD graphics, upgraded with two SSD drives.

I am thinking either water cooling the alu chassis, replacing the internal fan or adding external fans to help the air intake - what would help the most?

Some time ago I have bought a RacMac mini from Sonnet tech as seen here:

So the 2nd. room in that could be used for some cooling equipment if needed. Also, it's steel plate surface would be fine to add things in for the mini, I don't want to screw directly in the mini...

More pictures of inside the rack here, and here. The mini fan can be seen here and without the fan here
Bandit Bill
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2012 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would test the mini outside the MacRack to see how much impact the MacRack is having.

Are you currently using the air dam between the two bays? If yes I would speak with Sonnet and see what they suggest. Sonnet is a pretty cool company. Likely their engineers/support team will give you good advise.

P.s. that's some nice equipment you have

Last edited by Bandit Bill on Thu Jul 19, 2012 12:19 am; edited 1 time in total
eks

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 11:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice rack! (first time I've said that to a guy...)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Mini All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: